BSA Executive Salaries

BSA_Form_990_Tax_Return.pdf

BSA Board of Directors.pdf

As everyone knows the real reason for all of the membership changes and introduction of girls is due to financial reasons. The BSA executives need to begin cutting their own salaries. Take a look at the attached 2016 Tax Return form 990. See page 91 for the salaries of some of the executives. Its clear that the program is suffering to support high salaries. Mike Surbaugh $718,296.00. 

Here is the link to Guidestar for non profit info https://www.guidestar.org/profile/22-1576300

Reach out to the board members below and let them know if you are not satisfied with the direction of the BSA.

BOARD CHAIR

Randall Stephenson  email at rs2982@att.com

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, AT&T

Term: May 2016 - May 2018

Wayne Perry
Past- President
Shotgun Creek Investments LLC 
11245 SE 6th Street, Suite 240, Bellevue, WA 98004
(D) 425-519-3988
(F) 425-526-5862

Joe Landy
Vice President- Operations
Warburg Pincus New York Headquarters
 212-878- 0600

Lyle Knight
Vice President- Human Resources
First Interstate Bank

401 North 31st Street
Billings, Montana 59116

406-255-5390

R. Thomas Buffenbarger
Assistant Treasurer
International Association of Machinists and Aerospaace Workers

9000 Machinists Place
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772-268

301-967-4500

Randall Stephenson
President Elect
AT&T

David Steward
Vice President- Information Delivery
World Wide Technology Inc. 800-432-7008

Tico Perez
National Commissioner
No Affiliation

Matthew Rose
Vice President- Development
Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp

2650 Lou Menk Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76131

800-795-2673

Joe Crafton     joe@joecrafton.com

Wing Shooter Investments
Wingshooter Investments 6065 Sherry Lane Dallas Texas 75225

David Weekley
Vice President- Marketing

David Weekley Homes

1111 North Post Oak RoadHouston, TX 77055Call: (713) 963-0500Fax: (713) 963-0322

Drayton McLane
Vice President
McLane Group  http://www.mclanegroup.com/home/contact-us/

Jack Furst
Vice President - General Services
No Affiliation

James Turley
Treasurer
Ernst & Young

Aubrey Harwell
Vice President
Neal & Harwell, Attorneys-at-Law

Nathan Rosenberg
Vice President
Insigniam   https://insigniam.com/contact/

BSA_Form_990_Tax_Return.pdf

BSA Board of Directors.pdf

Edited by SouthScout
add attachments
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's a lot of hate for those in the profession, including me when y'all don't even know me. I mean I get it, there are A LOT of bad, even crooked Pros out there. Whatever, it's not gonna stop me fr

The economist in me smiles at this statement. This truth applies to almost anything we do. That said, and I'm not trying to defend some of the boneheaded things coming out of Texas, the great U.S of A

District Director is a  DE who supervises 1 other DE, usually in another district. Next step up is a Field Director, who supervises multiple DEs and DDs. DEs Are suppose to be serving in the ba

To what end? Even giving up all the salary would have little effect on the problem.

I believe if voice is to have impact, one has to be careful that their rhetoric doesn't give the appearance of class envy. I heard (don't know how true) that the concern is more about funding retirements long term.

Barry

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Do you have nominees who will do the jobs for less?

Are you kidding?  You don't think there are millions of people who would like to take the job for less than $700,000?

If there aren't, I would be more than happy to volunteer for the job myself. I'll even settle for a measly half-mill. I know that it is a big sacrifice, and a big drop from my usual teacher's salary, but I'm willing to bite the bullet if it will help out the scouting movement.

Edited by David CO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, David CO said:

Are you kidding?  You don't think there are millions of people who would like to take the job for less than $700,000?

Name one. Tell us his/her price. Confirm the commitment to the same # hours as the present CSE or whichever pro you intend to replace. Post the cover letter and resume. Check references. Convince us that we'll get the same bang for less buck. It takes a lot more than the stale "raid the Bishop's allocation" rhetoric to convince antidisestablishmentarians.

Like @Eagledad said, pensions are usually the biggest bullseye in these situations. Adjusting them is easier said than done.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Name one. Tell us his/her price. Confirm the commitment to the same # hours as the present CSE or whichever pro you intend to replace. Post the cover letter and resume. Check references. Convince us that we'll get the same bang for less buck. 

OK, I guess you are serious, so I will give you a serious answer. No jokes this time.

Instead of driving the LDS out of scouting, why don't we ask them to share with us their institutional knowledge and experience (which has made it possible for them to run a large, global, and well funded religious institution without paying enormous salaries)?

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

To what end? Even giving up all the salary would have little effect on the problem.

I believe if voice is to have impact, one has to be careful that their rhetoric doesn't give the appearance of class envy. I heard (don't know how true) that the concern is more about funding retirements long term.

Barry

Part of the challenge is salaries

It is basically these 5 items

1. Financial drain for the Summit - the losses there are staggering
  2. BSA National overhead costs not adjusted in relation to membership - seriously doubt the overhead has been reduced 10% in last 4 years
  3. Many years of underfunded pension payments 
  4. Exploded liability insurance premiums - thus the 38% membership increase
  5. Reduced membership and thus less revenue - This has accounted for close to $30MM less income in the last 4 yearts

• Upvote 1

Yes - these guys make a lot.  However, these numbers are not crazy.  

Randall Stephenson made 28.7 million last year.  That's 40x what Mr. Surbaugh made.  I'm guessing the people who report to the people who report to Mr. Stephenson at AT&T make more than our CSE.

I believe I also noticed that the directors of the BSA make nothing for their troubles.

5 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

Yes - these guys make a lot.  However, these numbers are not crazy.  

Randall Stephenson made 28.7 million last year.  That's 40x what Mr. Surbaugh made.  I'm guessing the people who report to the people who report to Mr. Stephenson at AT&T make more than our CSE.

Yes, these numbers are crazy.

Randall Stevenson made 1000 times what I made as a teacher. So what? 

This is the problem we have when they pick Fortune 500 types to sit on our boards. They have no concept of reality. They will pay a half-million to a scout exec and spend a billion dollars on a mountain top retreat. It is crazy.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

At this level, you get what you pay for.

We get a failing organization with drastically declining membership and morally bankrupt leadership. We should pay extra for this?

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, David CO said:

We get a failing organization with drastically declining membership and morally bankrupt leadership. We should pay extra for this?

I don't agree with the morally bankrupt part, but for the sake of argument:

During the next round of hiring, pay more and attract top-tier talent.   Then they do their best to right the ship.   Of course, there is no 100 percent guarantee, except for the opposite:  pay less, hire execs less talented, and membership will continue to decline.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 1

Yes, teachers make a fraction of what they should.

Senior executives are well compensated.  It's true in any organization that those people who have the biggest individual impact on the success of the organization make more - executives, finance, sales, etc.  In theory you pay these folks more so that the organization makes even more money.

You don't want a discount CEO.

• Upvote 2
59 minutes ago, desertrat77 said:

I don't agree with the morally bankrupt part, but for the sake of argument:

During the next round of hiring, pay more and attract top-tier talent.   Then they do their best to right the ship.   Of course, there is no 100 percent guarantee, except for the opposite:  pay less, hire execs less talented, and membership will continue to decline.

There are many incredibly talented people who take lower paying (or free) positions because of their commitment to institutional ideals rather than personal gain. Take Mitt Romney for example. He didn't take over the Salt Lake City Olympic Games to pad his pocketbook or boost his prestige. He did it to save the city and the nation from a humiliating debacle. Personally, I wish he had stepped in as CSE instead.

I don't fault Mitt, or anybody else, for being successful in business. But when they step into church work, charities, or NPO's like scouting, they should be doing it out of commitment, not for career advancement and personal gain.

Of course, it would be nearly impossible to get top-tier talent to take a position for less money if the organization doesn't promote the sort of morals and values that would attract them to the job in the first place. When you don't have morals and values, all you have left to offer is money. 

Edited by David CO
59 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

Yes, teachers make a fraction of what they should.

Thank you for your support of teachers.

I am actually quite satisfied with my Catholic school salary. Naturally, I could think of a few things that I would like to have if I made a little more money. But if that extra money comes at the cost of abandoning our values, lowering our standards, or serving fewer lower-income students, it would hardly be worth it. 

• Thanks 1