Oh boy, I got a stain on my uniform shirt and guess what, it’s grease. 

Little backstory, our closet at our CO is in the boiler room and all the pipes are overhead some of our things. I was picking up our yard signs and not noticing they got covered in grease in some parts and ended up on my shirt. It’s one of the newer silky ones.

Anyone have any solutions? 

Brian, I don't have specific solutions, others will no doubt offer great ideas that work.  Even if the stain doesn't wash out completely, continue to wear that shirt anyway.  As long as the uniform is "clean, dry and serviceable" it's alright.   Scout uniforms should have a bit of "character."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Dawn Dish detergent, GoJo,  Fast Orange. Just whatever you do, DO NOT DRY IN A DRYER!!!!!! (caps for emphasis, ok masybe screaming a warning at you ;) )  Those are some of the things I've used, and you may need to wash it a bunch of times with the stuff. Just hang dry it, or it will be permament.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Just whatever you do, DO NOT DRY IN A DRYER!!!!!! (

I echo this:  DO NOT DRY IN A DRYER.

You may need to wash multiple times, trying different options.  Another to try:  pour liquid laundry detergent directly on the grease spot and rub in thoroughly.   Let sit about five minutes.   Wash in warm water (if it were not for the uniform patches, I'd say hot water).   About five minutes into the wash cycle add liquid NON-CHLORINE COLOR-SAFE bleach.

Hang dry and check whether grease spot is gone.   If faded but not gone, repeat the process.    If not faded try another type of detergent or stain remover.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

With the recent conversations about BSA and Eagle rank, I as afraid this topic might have been something else.  

Good luck on getting out the stain! And definitely no heat on that uniform until you can get it dry. 

image.jpeg.75f626eee21f64a8d75a74618501da97.jpeg

I would try Goof Off.  I have not had grease on my uniform, but did use it to get rid of the staining left behind after finding that our local Scout Shop used a spray adhesive on uniforms before sewing on the Council Strip and World Crest.

• Thanks 1

Dawn and a little water, soak the stain in that for a few hours or overnight then wash.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  As others have said, DO NOT DRY IN THE DRYER until you are sure the stain's all gone; that will set it and you'll never get it out.

• Thanks 1

On Saturday, June 10th, 2017 I was standing in the parking lot near the entrance to Camp Rainey Mountain with a cup of coffee in my hand. It was early in the morning and the Troop was preparing to depart for home. A couple of rambunctious Scouts were horsing around and one accidentally bumped my elbow causing me to dump my coffee all over my Class A. I thought for sure I'd have a horrendous stain, but somehow to this day it's barely noticeable.

The stains on my shirt have better stories than the patches.

And they bring back far better memories. 

• Like 1

Having worked around a lot of greasy motorcycles and trailer hitches back in my days administrating a motorcycle training program, I took a hint from one of my instructors who's day job was running a greasy semi-tractor up and down the road. Murphy's Oil Soap. The original, not the specialty stuff. Spot soak full strength with some gentle rubbing and then wash in the warmest water you're comfortable putting your uniform in. 

And to echo for the umpteeth time, don't use heat to dry until you're absolutely sure the stain is out.

• Thanks 1