YPT: Logic of No One-on-One Digital Contact

2 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

But let’s say - a beneficiary contact for someone’s Eagle Scout project. Should there be two adults since it’s scouting related?

Same answer. BSA has no authority over them.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been copying parents on emails since before it became a rule in the BSA.  I was a "mentor" for my son's high school robotics team (in non-technical areas) and I found myself writing an email to

I finally took the new Youth Protection Training yesterday. Among other things, this part didn't make much sense to me: Leaders may not have one-on-one private online communications or engage one

Both Ivan and Dave could prove with the help of the phone company how many texts have been sent to fred and if dave saved them it proves what he sent  

1 minute ago, ItsBrian said:

But let’s say - a beneficiary contact for someone’s Eagle Scout project. Should there be two adults since it’s scouting related?

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if you were going to help your local park and you have contact with the park manager via email, if two adults should be including in the communication?

While I think it is a great idea (and not just for YPT reasons), we don't have any authority to require the park manager to take YPT and it would be an unnecessary burden to require it.

2 minutes ago, David CO said:

Same answer. BSA has no authority over them.

I was just curious.

1 minute ago, Hawkwin said:

If I understand you correctly, you are asking if you were going to help your local park and you have contact with the park manager via email, if two adults should be including in the communication?

While I think it is a great idea (and not just for YPT reasons), we don't have any authority to require the park manager to take YPT and it would be an unnecessary burden to require it.

I was just curious. Thanks.

Brian, 

If you feel there is a problem, or if you don't feel safe, then you should forward all of your communications to your parents. Problem solved. Just don't expect or demand that the adults do it. They are not registered with BSA and it's not their responsibility.

Edited by David CO
8 minutes ago, David CO said:

Brian, 

If you feel there is a problem, or if you don't feel safe, then you should forward all of your communications to your parents. Problem solved. Just don't expect or demand that the adults do it. They are not registered with BSA and it's not their responsibility.

I don’t feel like there’s a problem, I was just curious. I didnt mean to come off like I was demanding adults to do it, my apologies. I was just wondering how BSA would handle that.

I received an update today from our Catholic diocese regarding electronic communications with youth.

These rules are always more complex than BSA's because they cover everyone from clergy, through teachers, on down to volunteers like us, and so there are lots of caveats and qualifications to cover that spectrum of roles.  But the gist of it is that the same rules of always copying another adult on any email, text etc., now are mandated by the diocese as well as by BSA.

At my Catholic school, all teachers, coaches, scout leaders, etc. are required to use the school's e-mail addresses on all school business. A copy of all communications is automatically copied to the office. 

We have a Christian Brother as an administrator. So yes, Big Brother is watching you.

Edited by David CO
  • Haha 1

Taking the online training today....awfully long...site is overly complicated to work with. I think the demands of sitting through this is going to cause a loss of registered leaders. Again, good content...just too long.

38 minutes ago, David CO said:

At my Catholic school, all teachers, coaches, scout leaders, etc. are required to use the school's e-mail addresses on all school business. A copy of all communications is automatically copied to the office. 

We have a Christian Brother as an administrator. So yes, Big Brother is watching you.

Do you know whether other Catholic sponsored troops are required to use parish emails (between youth and adults)?  The newest policy may be requiring that for us, I have to parse it a bit more carefully.  As an alternative to every leader in the troop having a new email, I may see if we can have one parish email and copy all leader/communications to include that email.

Out of curiosity, it's never been clear to me, is your school parish based, run by one of the orders, or something else?

5 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Taking the online training today....awfully long...site is overly complicated to work with. I think the demands of sitting through this is going to cause a loss of registered leaders. Again, good content...just too long.

I was told by our DE, and so not an authoritative source, that part of the reason for the new length and some of the new content is specifically to be in compliance with a number of state laws that require this type of training.  

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

I was told by our DE, and so not an authoritative source, that part of the reason for the new length and some of the new content is specifically to be in compliance with a number of state laws that require this type of training.  

I wouldn't doubt it.  I know Texas is very strict about the training rules.

30 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

Do you know whether other Catholic sponsored troops are required to use parish emails (between youth and adults)?  The newest policy may be requiring that for us, I have to parse it a bit more carefully.  As an alternative to every leader in the troop having a new email, I may see if we can have one parish email and copy all leader/communications to include that email.

Out of curiosity, it's never been clear to me, is your school parish based, run by one of the orders, or something else?

I don't know if other troops do this. If they don't, I'm guessing that this will be changing very soon.

I was originally employed by a school which was affiliated with a religious order. It was merged with a nearby parish school. So now it is a parish school.

There have been a lot of mergers/closings of Catholic schools in the past 10 years. It's hard on the staff who have to move to a new building and management structure.

The Christian Brothers were a lot more supportive of the rough and tumble aspects of the scouting program. The parish/diocese schools are much more safety conscious.

Edited by David CO