YPT: Logic of No One-on-One Digital Contact

We use "group me" for troop communication, with one for everyone and another for PLC. MB is a different thing altogether. I'm not sure what is the best thing to use outside of email. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been copying parents on emails since before it became a rule in the BSA.  I was a "mentor" for my son's high school robotics team (in non-technical areas) and I found myself writing an email to

I finally took the new Youth Protection Training yesterday. Among other things, this part didn't make much sense to me: Leaders may not have one-on-one private online communications or engage one

Both Ivan and Dave could prove with the help of the phone company how many texts have been sent to fred and if dave saved them it proves what he sent  

16 hours ago, Saltface said:

YPT strongly backs the philosophy of reporting any credible accusation without investigating it yourself. For Irving, this makes a lot of sense: if it's true, they want a professional to deal with it; if it's false, it's no skin off their back what happens to the accused. Either way, BSA can extricate itself from a lawsuit as they followed proper procedure.

Understatement. National does not care what happens to the accused. Good friend was exonerated in the criminal investigation but was still not allowed to renew their membership, while the "Scout" was able to remain in the program, earn palms, hold office, etc. And this was a 10+ year DAM and SB recipient veteran Scouter who was about to get Vigil until the accusation got them kicked out of the movement.

Gentlemen, these are all great ideas for troop communication, but none address my original question. How is this rule going to prevent inappropriate contact or false accusation?

6 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Gentlemen, these are all great ideas for troop communication, but none address my original question. How is this rule going to prevent inappropriate contact or false accusation?

Nothing prevents a false accusation but a written digital record is certainly a stronger defense than a verbal one.

Digital also a better protection against inappropriate contact for the same reason. Even when my son forgets to copy me (or a member of the troop forgets to add me in their reply), I can simply log into my son's email to see what was received or sent. I don't get any of that if it was a phone call.

4 minutes ago, Saltface said:

The rule prevents inappropriate contact in the same way the underlying philosophy of no one on one contact prevents it.  Following the rule makes the grooming process that is part of predation much harder, not purely impossible but more difficult.  It also sets up an environment where deviation from the rules is broadly considered suspect and so it is noticed more quickly, questioned more rigorously, and can be used to cut off access to victims at the earliest stage --- even before any explicitly exploitative behavior has actually happened.  This applies to both other adults noticing and the scouts themselves noticing, with or without having received explicit training.

As to false accusations, the very fact that they're false means they're impossible to prevent entirely.  A false accuser could, a year from now, accuse you of misbehavior on this weekend's outing, even if you weren't on the outing and were three states away.  The evidence, and the fact, that you were three states away is what will prevent bad consequences ensuing from the false accusation.

The fact is that nothing digital is ever actually gone, so being able to prove that you didn't send an inappropriate electronic communication is always going to be possible.  A clear history of always involving more than one person in your communications is going to make your claim to be innocent easier for others to believe even while they're waiting for actual proof.

27 minutes ago, Saltface said:

It won't. 

It might prevent misunderstandings.  

So when I run our yearly clothing drive pickup service, I have to CC another adult for every time a donator e-mails me for a pickup? I’m not the only one that has access to the account, but does that matter? 

1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

So when I run our yearly clothing drive pickup service, I have to CC another adult for every time a donator e-mails me for a pickup? I’m not the only one that has access to the account, but does that matter? 

I think the policy applies only to scouters. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

As DavidCO said the policy only applies to scouters communicating with scouts.  But if you want to be Helpful to your leaders, if you happen to email say your SM, or especially if you're texting him or her, copy a parent or other adult when you start the communication, that makes it easier for the SM to reply to both you and another adult --- which is the obligation he has.  

I say this because I know i have inadvertently violated this rule when receiving a text from a scout, and then replying with a one word or short answer and forgetting to copy someone else.

3 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

As DavidCO said the policy only applies to scouters communicating with scouts.  But if you want to be Helpful to your leaders, if you happen to email say your SM, or especially if you're texting him or her, copy a parent or other adult when you start the communication, that makes it easier for the SM to reply to both you and another adult --- which is the obligation he has.  

I say this because I know i have inadvertently violated this rule when receiving a text from a scout, and then replying with a one word or short answer and forgetting to copy someone else.

But does BSA say that it’s only for adult scouters? Not that I know of.

Just now, Hawkwin said:

Scouts are not required to complete the online YPT.

Never said they had to. I’m talking about the one-on-one. They don’t specify it only apply to scout leader and youth. It could be for any adult and youth member for all I know.

1 minute ago, ItsBrian said:

Never said they had to. I’m talking about the one-on-one. They don’t specify it only apply to scout leader and youth. It could be for any adult and youth member for all I know.

I don't understand your distinction then. No non-YPT trained adult should be interacting with scouts in any official capacity. Even MBCs (who are not registered) must take YPT.

Just now, Hawkwin said:

I don't understand your distinction then. No non-YPT trained adult should be interacting with scouts in any official capacity. Even MBCs (who are not registered) must take YPT.

But let’s say - a beneficiary contact for someone’s Eagle Scout project. Should there be two adults since it’s scouting related?