Getting the Value and Pride back in Eagle.

10 hours ago, fred johnson said:

Plus ... if you really want Eagle to be meaningful ... Get it off the college application check box.  Stop ranking up enlistees because of it.  Get it off the resume.

Agree. It instills the wrong motivation in some current Scouts in my own troop.

Edited by gblotter

Eagle still seems to work for Yale:

In getting accepted to Yale, his Eagle Scout project video was ‘a difference-maker’

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/04/19/getting-accepted-yale-eagle-scout-project-video-difference-maker/

Justin had the perfect response. He shared a four-minute documentary about his Eagle Scout service project. He led volunteers as they built a monument to honor veterans.

The video proved even more powerful than a well-written essay.

Eagle and he helped vets and still got into Yale. Hope still exists! :D

• Upvote 2
57 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

In getting accepted to Yale, his Eagle Scout project video was ‘a difference-maker’

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/04/19/getting-accepted-yale-eagle-scout-project-video-difference-maker/

Only if I read this article 8 months ago...

1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

Mr. Aubin, from Oak Lawn, Ill., was then a high school senior hoping to attend Yale. The following prompt caught his eye: “A community to which you belong and the footprint you have left.” He submitted a short video documenting his Eagle Scout project, for which he oversaw the construction of a monument honoring veterans. Even a well-written essay, he figured, couldn’t capture his experience as well as four minutes of footage, shot by his older brother.

The content of the video impressed Yale’s admissions committee. “People sat up in their chairs,” Mr. Quinlan said. “You could see how he handled his leadership role, and we felt like we got a good sense of him in a way that we didn’t get from recommendations.”

Mr. Aubin is now a freshman at Yale.

Did the video tip the scales? “That was a difference-maker,” Mr. Quinlan said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/education/edlife/what-college-admissions-wants.html?action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

Edited by RememberSchiff

I would like to say I really don't care how colleges view my boys' Eagle awards, if they even get them.   If a college looks at my kids and doesn't see them as wonderful people, then it's their loss.  And, I get that top colleges are competitive, but I don't really know if my kids will be chasing top colleges.  

What I want in an Eagle Scout journey for my sons is the maturity and real world experience the journey gives them.  

My boys are youngish, 11 and 13 and they are just starting to learn.  My older son was supposed to lead cooking on this last weekend's campout and I heard it did not go well.  But he's 13 and hopefully he will get more chances to do better and he will get better in time.  It was his first time trying.  Hopefully he gets lots of experiences!

He is getting closer to first class.  One baby step at a time.

I don't care how other people view Eagle, I care about formation.  If my boys learn the skills, that's the point, they will be better off than where they started. Schools do not do a complete job with young people,  I view Scouts as an important educational experience. 

• Like 4