Scout BSA Uniform Survey (Girls)

2 hours ago, CedarsEagle said:

So is the current Centennial Uniform being phased out or is this just an option for the females? I just bought 3 Centennial and 3-4 gently used ODL uniforms last fall when I came back to Scouting with my son. 

my understanding is the uniforms being surveyed are for girls. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO, if there is "no gender" in Scouting, USA then the uniform - shirts and pants style should be the same for all.

I have a background in fashion design and patternmaking.  Can I tell you....  there is nothing more aggravating than BSA uniforms - particularly the fit of the pants.  Is this my opportunity to rant a

Definitely not.   If BSA wants to accommodate families who are very conservative about girls' clothing, that can be easily solved.  Just make the pants material available by the yard, and those g

Posted Images

On 5/18/2018 at 1:04 PM, The Latin Scot said:

In my council uniforms are worn to everything. I was especially impressed by how well uniformed our district was during the entirety of Camporee weekend and Scout-O-Rama this past month. I gotta say, uniforms are being worn much more often and more correctly than when I was a Scout in this area growing up. So yeah - lots of people are still wearing the uniform on their activities. I guess just not where you live.

Wearing the uniform in public while doing cool things is literally a walking advertisement for Scouts.  Going out in public wearing a t-shirt is adversing... nothing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 9:44 AM, Eagle1993 said:

I don’t get the skorts... I can’t imagine that will be more than a short fad with some of the early adopters, but I’m not an expert in fashion or clothing trends. 

The comment about the discussion of purpose of the uniform came from a review with an OA group.  I don’t know if that was from National or scouts/leaders. I think (speculation) the point is that some of the changes (extra large pockets on shirt) could help if used in the field but doesn’t look as good in more formal settings.

It sounds like they have both male and female uniforms out for feedback.  There are discussions on what to use to close pockets (zippers, Velcro or buttons).  One comment I did see was that the material felt better than the current uniform.  Overall the FB comments are pretty negative but I think it’s tough to tell without seeing in person  

Personally, I would vote to keep current uniform with females able to get the same just tailored for women.  I’m not a fan of B above... those button locations...

@Eagle94-A1

What is the deal with Urban Outfitters selling weird BSA uniforms?  These look like official uniforms that were modified.  Given your history at National supply I thought you might have some insight.

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/urban-renewal-recycled-tie-front-scout-shirt

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/vintage-patched-button-down-scout-shirt

Follow up.. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Parents-Angered-By-Urban-Outfitters-Selling-Boy-Scout-Shirts-483675541.html

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
On 5/12/2018 at 6:54 AM, RememberSchiff said:

IMO, if there is "no gender" in Scouting, USA then the uniform - shirts and pants style should be the same for all.

Oh, come on.  There is gender— there are separate dens/troops.  And there have been different uniform options for women for ages— my dad was cleaning out his house recently and found his moms Den Mother dress, circa 1957!  Personally, I wear a tan shirt, and it is terrible.  I’m large busted, but petite everywhere else— so a youth large would fit my shoulders/waist, but I wear an adult large to fit my bust.  It looks awful.  I don’t see any reason not to offer girls clothing that fits well and is flattering.

Has anyone tried the “custom fit” option.  http://www.scoutinsignia.com/smallbig.htm.   

I continue to be amazed at the sizing of uniforms.  I remember trying on a new shirt based on the size guidance.  My wife was rolling on the floor laughing at how big it was. 

To the OP, it looks like national supply didn’t try to roll out those terrible looking designs.  At least they don’t seem to be on sale.  

Huh.  I hadn’t seen the custom fit option before.  I wonder what the turn around time is

When my dad found the Den Mother dress, he also found a sewing pattern for Den Mother dresses.  I’ve been meaning to look at that, as well as try on the dress, as his mother was built like me— I suspect she sewed or altered the dress to accommodate her bust.