Scout BSA Uniform Survey (Girls)

Is it just me or are those shirts really just the same shirt, they appear to just have additional pockets on top of pockets.

I want to see the shirts with the typical display of patches in the correct proposed locations.

Put some bling on them and then use an anatomical manikin so we can see what they will actually look like on a Scout.

Or better yet, make a National Executive SEW the badges on and then get some Venture girls to model them and give feed back.

Also I spoke with some friends that have strict religious / moral standards and the skorts do not make the cut.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO, if there is "no gender" in Scouting, USA then the uniform - shirts and pants style should be the same for all.

I have a background in fashion design and patternmaking.  Can I tell you....  there is nothing more aggravating than BSA uniforms - particularly the fit of the pants.  Is this my opportunity to rant a

Definitely not.   If BSA wants to accommodate families who are very conservative about girls' clothing, that can be easily solved.  Just make the pants material available by the yard, and those g

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

What is the deal with Urban Outfitters selling weird BSA uniforms?  These look like official uniforms that were modified.

Based on the second link, they were modified by someone who did no research as to what patches go on that shirt.

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

Based on the second link, they were modified by someone who did no research as to what patches go on that shirt.

With the exception of the pins, patches are correct. And even then, I've seen Cubs wear their pins all over the place: collars, above pockets, on p[ockets, etc.

3 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Or better yet, make a National Executive SEW the badges on and then get some Venture girls to model them and give feed back.

That was my wife’s comment...sewing patches onto a pocket is a massive PITA...

Happy Mothers' Day!

P.S. I hid the previous post  for 24+ hours as it was in the scouter.com content feed on Mothers' Day. IMO, it seemed discourteous to women in Scouting and Scouting in general.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
On 5/12/2018 at 7:08 AM, Eagle1993 said:

When I talk with female scouters there are complaints that the shirts and pants don’t fit women’s bodies.  They are cut for men’s shapes.   One example I heard is on pants.  Girls have larger hips after puberty.  Breasts are also cause the tops to not fit in many cases.  Many women leaders simply don’t buy the pants or buy pants at 3rd party stores that kinda match.  Uniform shirts they just deal with.  Finally, some religions require that women not wear pants... or so I’m told.  That said I know Orthodox Jews don’t allow pants but they require full length skirts... so I’m not sure what religion would require skorts.

To me the styles should be identical, but I’m ok with different sizes and fits. 

How is that currently any different with Venturing? Are not their uniforms the same but cut differently for women?

If so, seems the logical option would be to do the same for Scouts - simply change the cut.

While we are on the subject of uniforms, I've never had a male uniform that fit well. Just bought new pants and had to have the legs tapered when getting them hemmed.

Edited by Hawkwin
typo

I have a background in fashion design and patternmaking.  Can I tell you....  there is nothing more aggravating than BSA uniforms - particularly the fit of the pants.  Is this my opportunity to rant a little? 

First, though, I hate that new shirt.  It's odd-looking and a side opening on a pocket is not a great idea.  I don't like the placket over the buttons.  It may look 'cleaner', but it makes fastening and unfastening the buttons harder.  The pocket on the pants looks too high, and I'd miss having the depth that the current cargo pockets have.  Unlike with other pants, I actually carry things in these pockets - cell phone, knife, wallet, sometimes a piece of trash picked up on the trail; all kind of things. Really not liking the roll-up part of the pants, either.  All that does is create a handy spot for dirt and pine needles to collect, and add bulk that could start chafing if you're on a long hike.

The Cub Scout pants are cut way too wide for any but the chubbiest of scouts, and at that young an age, most kids are not yet significantly overweight.  I've been working in a scout shop for the last three months, and we've only sold two pair of those pants.  It hardly seems worth the trouble to produce them. 

The micro-poly youth and adult pants aren't too terrible, but why is the fit and sizing between those and the canvas pants so far apart?  The legs on the canvas pants are also a bit too wide, and look almost like culottes when you try to wear them as shorts.  The elastic area of the canvas pants at the waist is a nice touch, though; forgiving without adding bulk.

My biggest complaint is the Venturing uniforms.  If Venturing is supposed to be for youth beginning at age 14, why, why, why do the uniforms only come in adult sizes?!  And HUGE adult sizes at that.  I'm 5'7" and weigh somewhere around 125 lbs. (I think, no scale).  The XS ladies pants are too big.  If I can't wear them, how on earth is my 14 year-old daughter supposed to wear them?  My son is in Boy Scouts, not in Venturing, but the men's XS pants come nearly to his armpits, and he's very tall for his age.  The shirts are also really big on him.

• Upvote 4

From FB link:

Each of these uniform item samples has different specific features the survey asks about. It is not a simple 'Pick A, B, C, or D' survey, but rather 2 pages (front and back) of specific questions.  The survey forms will be sent to National Supply for review and the next step of designing.

Here are a few clarifications for these uniforms based on questions received:  
-Skorts:  These will be the same color as our current Scout Pants.  They will be the same length as Scout Shorts.   The skorts also have dry fit/athletic style shorts built in to them.  
-Shirts:  The shirts are a more fitted style and the curved bottom would be worn untucked.  There is also a different vent in the back, just at the arms - rather than across entire back. The sleeves will also be a few inches longer. 
-Capris/Pants:  These are the number one style sold by other outdoor retailers.  In store, there are two pocket styles that you'll be asked about on the survey.
-Womens Fitting:   BSA has been working with an Expert Fitter to help redesign the uniform fit.   They will also be focusing on Plus Size fit, youth fitting, and overall design.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

BSA has been working with an Expert Fitter to help redesign the uniform fit.   They will also be focusing on Plus Size fit, youth fitting, and overall design.

Wonder what 'Expert Fitter' means.  That wasn't a option for a degree in fashion, patternmaking OR merchandising when I was in school.  :blink:  Maybe it is now, and I'm just too damned old, lol.

Not sure how I feel about the whole untucked thing.  I have to admit, tucking in the shirt and wearing a belt is a pain, but at the same time, untucked just seems wrong - too undisciplined, maybe, as much as I'd rather not do it.

• Upvote 3
On 5/12/2018 at 12:54 PM, Southpaw said:

Also I spoke with some friends that have strict religious / moral standards and the skorts do not make the cut.

Definitely not.  

If BSA wants to accommodate families who are very conservative about girls' clothing, that can be easily solved.  Just make the pants material available by the yard, and those girls could make their own skirts, of suitably long length.  Skirts are not hard to make, and families who don't approve of modern styling almost certainly have sewing skills.

Those skorts are just so wrong.

As a field uniform, light-weight nylon zip-offs seem much more practical.  Easy to cover the legs when needed when dealing with ticks, mosquitoes, and poison ivy.

And even though I am not particularly conservative about clothing (have no objections to girls wearing jeans to church) I generally dislike the mini-skirt skorts.  They look like they are just one gust of wind away from too much exposure, and therefore seem to be inviting inappropriate attention directed at the legs.

• Upvote 4

Sorry if I missed this, but just to clarify:  are these meant to be female uniforms, or is this a unisex design?  I need to know if I have to stock up for my Scout if they are the new overall design....

• Like 1
On 5/12/2018 at 4:43 PM, cgail said:

That was my wife’s comment...sewing patches onto a pocket is a massive PITA...

it's really not that hard. I've done about 15 shirts now.  

Where does the OA pocket flap go? 

Untucked shirts? bleh.   Why do I have a feeling BSA isn't going to be a uniformed organization in 5 years. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

From FB link:

Each of these uniform item samples has different specific features the survey asks about. It is not a simple 'Pick A, B, C, or D' survey, but rather 2 pages (front and back) of specific questions.  The survey forms will be sent to National Supply for review and the next step of designing.

Here are a few clarifications for these uniforms based on questions received:  
-Skorts:  These will be the same color as our current Scout Pants.  They will be the same length as Scout Shorts.   The skorts also have dry fit/athletic style shorts built in to them.  
-Shirts:  The shirts are a more fitted style and the curved bottom would be worn untucked.  There is also a different vent in the back, just at the arms - rather than across entire back. The sleeves will also be a few inches longer. 
-Capris/Pants:  These are the number one style sold by other outdoor retailers.  In store, there are two pocket styles that you'll be asked about on the survey.
-Womens Fitting:   BSA has been working with an Expert Fitter to help redesign the uniform fit.   They will also be focusing on Plus Size fit, youth fitting, and overall design.

where is the actual survey to take? thanks.