Scout BSA Uniform Survey (Girls)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO, if there is "no gender" in Scouting, USA then the uniform - shirts and pants style should be the same for all.

I have a background in fashion design and patternmaking.  Can I tell you....  there is nothing more aggravating than BSA uniforms - particularly the fit of the pants.  Is this my opportunity to rant a

Definitely not.   If BSA wants to accommodate families who are very conservative about girls' clothing, that can be easily solved.  Just make the pants material available by the yard, and those g

Posted Images

Shirts are hideous. Skirts are not practical in the field, so I don't know why they are event making them for a "FIELD uniform" (caps for emphasis) And what's up with the red? And what is up with the tabs on the p[ants?

Forgot to add, is it me, are does the pockets on the pants look like they should be on the backside and not the front.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1

They state we should ignore the color for now (it will be olive green).

I think those are leg pockets on short pants...

Agreed. I’m not a fan of the style.  I don’t like hidden pockets or buttons.

Apparently there are several other shirts going around as well.  Some include vertical zipper pockets.  In some cases, the new shirts are designed to be untucked.  These are the only pictures I’ve seen so far.  

I don't get the new direction on these shirts.  Are those some kind of big zippered pockets on the front? Who would actually use these?

Instead of adding the embellishments, the need to just do some tailoring on the current shirts and call it a day.

Knowing the BSA, there will probably be a new iteration of the uniforms every three or four years. I suppose if we don't like what's "new," we can just wear the old stuff we got. Maybe the next one will be better. 

5 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMO, if there is "no gender" in Scouting, USA then the uniform - shirts and pants style should be the same for all.

When I talk with female scouters there are complaints that the shirts and pants don’t fit women’s bodies.  They are cut for men’s shapes.   One example I heard is on pants.  Girls have larger hips after puberty.  Breasts are also cause the tops to not fit in many cases.  Many women leaders simply don’t buy the pants or buy pants at 3rd party stores that kinda match.  Uniform shirts they just deal with.  Finally, some religions require that women not wear pants... or so I’m told.  That said I know Orthodox Jews don’t allow pants but they require full length skirts... so I’m not sure what religion would require skorts.

To me the styles should be identical, but I’m ok with different sizes and fits. 

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, ParkMan said:

I don't get the new direction on these shirts.  Are those some kind of big zippered pockets on the front? Who would actually use these?

Instead of adding the embellishments, the need to just do some tailoring on the current shirts and call it a day.

Apparently there are 4 options. All have the fleur-de-lis. One is simply the current shirt that is tailored for girls. The other three are above. Yes, large pockets with zippers are on the front (I added another pic that shows that in more detail).  Some are designed to be untucked.

The debate within the council and National Supply is regarding the point of the uniform.  Is it a dress uniform for more formal events or should it be functional for field use.  

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

The debate within the council and National Supply is regarding the point of the uniform.  Is it a dress uniform for more formal events or should it be functional for field use.  

BSA dress uniforms are these:  All programs but Sea Scouts

Scouters 

Sea Scout Dress Whites Image result for Sea Scout Dress White uniform

Sea Scout Dress Blues:Image result for Sea Scout Dress blue uniformRelated image

BSA field uniforms are these: Cub Scouts TigersBoy  Scouts Boy Scouts

Venturing Venturers

Old Fogeys ;)  Boy Scout Leaders There is a push for Sea Scouts to wear this one: Sea Scouts

but many ships still wear this one image.jpeg.8924083c58510dfebc8edf7c38aa5567.jpeg

• Thanks 3

Why do I think National Supply is thinking this will be a bonanza of sales with all the options for the girls? We have sold skorts and skirts in the past, and they were not popular at all. I remember when we had a sales on them, and still no one was buying them. In my 3-4 years with Supply, I sold 4 pairs, and they went to the manager and assistant manager.

But if the girls can wear skirts, I will start wearing a kilt. Specifically this one: Image result for macleod of lewis

But I bet the council's commissioner corps will get a tad bit upset. For whatever reason, they adopted my clan's tartan as a local recognition for outstanding commissioner service. And they even got permission from the clan chief at the time to do it.

I don’t get the skorts... I can’t imagine that will be more than a short fad with some of the early adopters, but I’m not an expert in fashion or clothing trends. 

The comment about the discussion of purpose of the uniform came from a review with an OA group.  I don’t know if that was from National or scouts/leaders. I think (speculation) the point is that some of the changes (extra large pockets on shirt) could help if used in the field but doesn’t look as good in more formal settings.

It sounds like they have both male and female uniforms out for feedback.  There are discussions on what to use to close pockets (zippers, Velcro or buttons).  One comment I did see was that the material felt better than the current uniform.  Overall the FB comments are pretty negative but I think it’s tough to tell without seeing in person  

Personally, I would vote to keep current uniform with females able to get the same just tailored for women.  I’m not a fan of B above... those button locations...

@Eagle94-A1

What is the deal with Urban Outfitters selling weird BSA uniforms?  These look like official uniforms that were modified.  Given your history at National supply I thought you might have some insight.

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/urban-renewal-recycled-tie-front-scout-shirt

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/vintage-patched-button-down-scout-shirt

Vertical zip shirt front pockets...are females really going to carry a topo map and a couple cliff bars in those particular pockets? 

The entire effort seems over-engineered and stylistically odd.

Definitely look forward to hearing what women have to say about it.

I'll ask my Venturing daughter what she thinks. 

My initial hunch:  girls are going to just buy a boy's shirt, a size or two larger, and go with that.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

What is the deal with Urban Outfitters selling weird BSA uniforms?  These look like official uniforms that were modified.  Given your history at National supply I thought you might have some insight.

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/urban-renewal-recycled-tie-front-scout-shirt

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/vintage-patched-button-down-scout-shirt

From the 2 pages, looks like someone went on a buying frenzy and are now selling used shirt at new costs. Surprised national has not went after them yet.  On a different note, explains why I am having a hard time getting old shirts.