Unit number change and embracing the new

Can you phrase it slightly differently? Group mergers happen here and usually what you get is the two numbers separated by a back slash. So in Cambridge we have an 11th/9th (pronounced eleventh nineth), and a 6th/17th. Theoretically we have a 7th/23rd/13th but in practice it's too much of a mouthful and as they meet where the 13th always met everyone just calls them the 13th!

Can you be known as 5th/36th or something similar?

I've seen groups here that when they merged different sixes (what we call Dens) and patrols maintain the traditions of the predecesor groups. Different neckers and flags, that kind of thing. Is that possible?

But yes, I understand how history matters. My own group is 107 years old and has traditions so old no one even knows where they came from anymore. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Tampa Turtle said:

We Scout 12-7-365 BSA 

Have to remember that one when the next name discussion comes up at our Commissioner meetings.

• Haha 1
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, FireStone said:

Several years ago my Pack went through a consolidation of local units and as a result was forced to take on a new pack number. Not sure of the details exactly, just that we were one number and became a new one, apparently not by choice.

You state that you were part of a consolidation of Packs.  Are you are no longer with the original CO?

If so, that may be why you had to take on a new number.  It is not unusual for a CO to ask to keep the Pack or Troop number, so that it is available should they decide to jump back into the fire and sponsor again.

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

You state that you were part of a consolidation of Packs.  Are you are no longer with the original CO?

If so, that may be why you had to take on a new number.  It is not unusual for a CO to ask to keep the Pack or Troop number, so that it is available should they decide to jump back into the fire and sponsor again.

No, same CO for over 50 years. Councils and districts in the area changed a lot. None of them go by the same name anymore, and some were merged into others. I believe the new number came from that somehow. I do need to ask around more and find out exactly how this all came to be. 

16 minutes ago, FireStone said:

No, same CO for over 50 years. Councils and districts in the area changed a lot. None of them go by the same name anymore, and some were merged into others. I believe the new number came from that somehow. I do need to ask around more and find out exactly how this all came to be. 

That makes sense. If two councils merge, and they each had a unit with the same number, one (or both) of the units has to change. It is unfortunate, but necessary.

Perhaps they can follow the example of Prince and be called "The Unit Formerly Know As..." .

When my unit faced a number change, the CO opted to use its street address for the new unit number. Several units did this since all street addresses in my town start with a 3 digit number. One unit, which had a PO Box, used the PO Box number. Another unit went in a opposite direction, asking for a 4 digit number to correspond with the last 4 digits of its phone number. If any boys forgot the unit's phone number, they could just look it up on their uniform.

If you're upset about your unit going to a 3 digit unit number, look on the bright side. With the direction scouting is going, they may yet go back to single digit unit numbers sometime soon.

Edited by David CO

Use official number 365 for all official purposes, especially registrations.  Web address ourtownpack5 should link to ourtownpack365.  IT may take years for a new number to be universally accepted...  still  better then two numbers.

If 365 is a combo of consolidated Pack numbers, that makes sense to retain the heritage of the Units.  But if your number went from a single digit # to a three digit number ending in #...  are you sure it was because of consolidation rather than changes in the Councils registration system.  In similar changes the registrar in my Council was able to create a number like "005" in the system.

On 5/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, David CO said:

If two councils merge, and they each had a unit with the same number, one (or both) of the units has to change. It is unfortunate, but necessary.

In my area, there are a half-dozen towns that have a Boy Scout Troop 1.   At least three of these are in the same district of the same council.

So, I am confused.  Do boy scout troops get to pick their own number?  Will the new Scouts BSA girls' troops get to pick their own troop numbers?  What criteria are there?

(In GSUSA the numbers are assigned.  In my area they are assigned 5-digit numbers which are very very hard to remember.)