Unit number change and embracing the new

Several years ago my Pack went through a consolidation of local units and as a result was forced to take on a new pack number. Not sure of the details exactly, just that we were one number and became a new one, apparently not by choice. 

There are some in the Pack that embrace the new number, and some that refuse to even acknowledge it, and varying opinions in between. I prefer to keep some anonymity online but for the sake of simplifying this discussion, let's pretend the old pack number was Pack 5, and the new one is Pack 365. Our Pack 5 charter goes back over 50 years, so it's a number deep in local tradition, and thus the main reason the number is held on to. 

Officially we're Pack 365. On beascout.org we're listed as 365. Our Pack flag says 365. 

Here's where it gets confusing...

Our website says "Pack 365" at the top of the homepage, but the URL says "ourtownpack5.org". Our various banners and decorations we hang up for PWD say "Pack 5". Most scouts and scouters wear just the "5" numeral badge on the uniform. We have t-shirts that say "Pack 5". When we put out flyers for recruiting, they say "Pack 365". When we register for camping, depending on which leader registers us it can be under either "Pack 5" or "Pack 365", which has caused some confusion for more than a few camp directors/rangers when people check in at camp under 2 different unit numbers. 

My dilema now is that I'm getting involved in recruiting efforts for the fall, and we're producing new Pack materials. New flyers, car magnet decals, banners, etc. And there is debate on the committee and among leaders about which Pack number we should go with. 

Part of me says to just go with the official number. But I'm also a Tiger DL, new to the pack, and the tradition of "Pack 5" hasn't really sunk in with me. I respect that the number means a lot to people. Our town Troop has the same issue, they were "Troop 5", now "Troop 365". And I get that at that level, there is probably even more consideration for tradition, with scouts and scouters who have a longer vested interest in the old number. 

But as it relates to recruiting and promoting the Pack, I'm struggling with where to draw the line on tradition vs. practicality. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money getting new stuff made with the old pack number. If people want to wear the old number on the uniform, as far as I'm concerned, go for it. But I'm struggling with the idea that I should put in an order for car decals/magnets with "Pack 5" on them where the idea is to promote the Pack and show pride in our local unit, and then confuse the heck out of anyone who goes home and tries to find any info online about a "Pack 5" only to find that it doesn't exist on the beascout.org website. 

Anyone ever dealt with a unit number change before? How did you handle it? Is it common for units to hang on to the old number like this? 

That's a really rough situation you've described. You're caught between two sides. As with most things in life, there's not going to be a 100% no issues answer. But to simplify things, you'll need to stick with the number that is officially registered. (why they didn't go with the more traditional number... different topic. focus focus) 

However I have an idea that might help.  If you can incorporate the "5" as a different color than the "36" so that you can still acknowledge it and still state the official unit number. Or do something else that makes the "5" stand out in some way. A flaming "5"?   *shrugs* 

And good job on the anonymity keeping. That's tough to do.  However I've traced who you are and now.... MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!  (j/k)

11 minutes ago, Buggie said:

That's a really rough situation you've described. You're caught between two sides. As with most things in life, there's not going to be a 100% no issues answer. But to simplify things, you'll need to stick with the number that is officially registered. (why they didn't go with the more traditional number... different topic. focus focus) 

However I have an idea that might help.  If you can incorporate the "5" as a different color than the "36" so that you can still acknowledge it and still state the official unit number. Or do something else that makes the "5" stand out in some way. A flaming "5"?   *shrugs* 

And good job on the anonymity keeping. That's tough to do.  However I've traced who you are and now.... MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!  (j/k)

image.png.2ddde79b2e3bc0bafa8d1ace00943df2.png

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I was once in a Troop 4, man they were proud of low number.

That is definitely a part of the negativity towards the new number that I've seen. Going to a 3-digit number seems like a major downgrade for some folks. 

I like our 3-digit number. I think regardless of the number, it's all about what you do with it and how you show pride in it that determines how people will feel about it. Unfortunately a lot of folks in my unit won't even try to embrace the official number so it will never be accepted by some. 

1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

image.png.2ddde79b2e3bc0bafa8d1ace00943df2.png

I like that, thanks. I had been kicking around an idea to call out the "5", but I was trying to do it with color. The size difference looks cool, it still reads as "365" but it also emphasizes "5" nicely. 

13 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I like that, thanks. I had been kicking around an idea to call out the "5", but I was trying to do it with color. The size difference looks cool, it still reads as "365" but it also emphasizes "5" nicely. 

I like 365 it's the number of days in the year.

28 minutes ago, FireStone said:

That is definitely a part of the negativity towards the new number that I've seen. Going to a 3-digit number seems like a major downgrade for some folks. 

I like our 3-digit number. I think regardless of the number, it's all about what you do with it and how you show pride in it that determines how people will feel about it. Unfortunately a lot of folks in my unit won't even try to embrace the official number so it will never be accepted by some. 

It's all in how you phrase your number

There is a Troop 5-0 in Hawaii (book em Danno)

2017 Summer Camp complete.  Lessons learned, adventures discovered and experiences had.  #asiftimestoodstill #leavingalegacy #navigators

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's just not that simple. Were I to go pack a few years, I would have thrown my weight around and pushed for us to keep our traditional number because that's what our troop wound up doing this year anyway. A got a very excited text from a former scouter when she found out. This stuff means something to people weather they say it or not. Clever artwork makes the best of a bad situation. There's no more salt being rubbed in, but the wound is still there.