Is it right for an Adult Leader to question the SM?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Dear Lad,

I think that you are a little out of line when you say that most of the people in the Forum don't follow or understand the program.

I feel sure that if you are having a problem with understanding the Methods O Scouting that you will find a great number of people who are willing to help you.

There are a lot of people who visit these forums when they have a question or need something clarified.

Eamonn

I refer to it as "my Troop". So does the SPL. So do the ASMs, and the Green Bars, and our committee members, too. I hope all our Scouts do, too, from the new Scouts to the "silverbacks".

It's "my Troop" in the sense that it's a part of me, it's worth my time and effort, that the human relationships are important and intertwined with who I am and what I value. That said, I know my place, my role, and the value (and more important, the replaceability) of what I contribute. My meager talents can be replaced as quickly as water fills the hole left behind when you remove your hand from a bucket.

It's "my Troop" versus "the Troop I serve" in a way similar to how I refer to my wife as "my wife", not "the wife I serve" (okay, maybe that's not a valid comparison -- strike the last comment).

If someone needs to state their relationship with their unit as "the Troop I serve" to remind them that it isn't theirs to run roughshod over, then the real problem isn't the terminology, and a change in terminology isn't going to help.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

KS

My post was in response to a question directed to me in this thread by Dan. I had no intention of changing the topic of the thread to revisit a discussion that has already been misrepresented and blown out of proportion by others in its own thread. Please return the conversation to the original topic.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I was responding to Dan's question, not necessarily BW's reply. Now, while Dan's post doesn't precisely answer ScouterPaul's original question, the three examples ScouterPaul gave to open the thread are directly related to Dan's question.

Depending on your viewpoint, you can attribute a "master of all I survey" mindset to a Scouter or Scout who refers to his unit as "my Troop". Or, you can attribute a commitment/dedication mindset. Or, something in between.

The point is, I think, that actions speak louder than words. ScouterPaul's recently-resigned SM would have been the exact same guy if he referred to his Troop as "the Troop he served".

So, I think we were on topic, even if it branched somewhat. ScouterPaul, you started this, what say you?

KS

ps: I sure hope it's okay to question, 'cuz I get 'em all the time.

"ScouterPaul's recently-resigned SM would have been the exact same guy if he referred to his Troop as "the Troop he served". "

There is no way you could possible know that since that never happened.

Peoples words do affect their actions and vice versa.

Scouterpaul,

If you have a question, speak up. It is in the best interest of the boys.

As far as how you refer to the unit you are affiliated with, the boys call me their Scoutmaster, but they dont own me. I am there for them, to help guide and assist them as they need.

Thank you all for you responses. It appears that I had been right in questioning the SM based all all the responses. It has been a very busy week. We had a successfull campout this past weekend.

Eammon your original post made me sit back and reflect upon my actions. I can honestly say that I did not act in such a way as to make him appear dumb or to hurt him. Thank you for making me do this reflection.

Dan you bring up an interesting question (the my/our troop tangent doesn't matter - I don't care what you call it as long as you are following the program). You said "If the SM says that no scouts may sleep in a tent by themsleves, that is what the troop rule is." My response would be isn't that a PLC decision? To my knowledge there isn't anything in the Guide to Safe Scouting concerning how many youth sleep in a tent. If it isn't a safety issue or against BSA policy then it's the Scouts decision.

Paul

Paul

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not that much of a TV fan. In fact all the fuss there has been about the final episodes of some of the shows has been lost on me, as I never seen a single episode to start with. I do when I'm not doing anything else watch the West Wing. There was an episode I think last season where the President walked to the Senate Building. Someone had the line: "What do you call a leader, when he has no one behind him? "

"A guy taking a walk!!"

I have seen a lot of people who thought that they were leaders end up as a "A guy taking a walk."

Each of us can decide if we want to follow and allow the guy to be a leader or we can decide to just let him be the guy taking a walk.

Eamonn