LDS CHURCH ANNOUNCES INDEPENDENT ACTIVITY PROGRAMS BEGINNING 2020

1 hour ago, Saltface said:

What is CoLDS?

23 minutes ago, gblotter said:

I may be wrong, but I think they are referring to Scouting units chartered by the LDS church (CoLDS = Chartering Organization LDS). I think.

My guess is that it's shorthand for Church of Latter Day Saints.  Maybe....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been thinking a lot about this over the past few days. I do indeed see things differently, though not in the ways many seem to think.  I know this may not be the thread for this, but it is i

LDS units form a HUGE percentage of Scouting units in the Western region especially. States like Idaho, Arizona and Wyoming, and large portions of California and Oregon have exceptionally large number

7 hours ago, gblotter said:

I may be wrong, but I think they are referring to Scouting units chartered by the LDS church (CoLDS = Chartering Organization LDS). I think.

Yes :) Just trying to be respectful that the church is asking that we not refer to them as LDS or Mormon.

5 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

Yes :) Just trying to be respectful that the church is asking that we not refer to them as LDS or Mormon.

Correct. For me that will be a hard habit to break on this forum. Thanks for the reminder.

36 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

30 minutes ago, gblotter said:

Correct. For me that will be a hard habit to break on this forum. Thanks for the reminder.

Oops, I just used "Mormon" on the other thread. Gotta get out my PC correction tape!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Sniktaw said:

Wait...Did Mormon just become a bad word in general, or only in connection to Boy Scouts?

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/style-guide

• When a shortened reference is needed, the terms "the Church" or the "Church of Jesus Christ" are encouraged. The "restored Church of Jesus Christ" is also accurate and encouraged.
  • While the term "Mormon Church" has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation "LDS" or the nickname "Mormon" as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in "Mormon Church," "LDS Church," or "Church of the Latter-day Saints."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has recently asked everyone to not use LDS or Mormon to refer to their faith. I think that name is perhaps a bit troublesome in that Church of Jesus Christ or the Church are a bit vague as that name could refer to just about any Christian denomination.

49 minutes ago, malraux said:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/style-guide

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has recently asked everyone to not use LDS or Mormon to refer to their faith. I think that name is perhaps a bit troublesome in that Church of Jesus Christ or the Church are a bit vague as that name could refer to just about any Christian denomination.

There's a lot of Christian Church's that would and will object to that. 

5 minutes ago, Sniktaw said:

Hmmm, those instructions come from Mormonnewsroom.org.

I'm not sure they're going to be very successful with this change.

It's not so much a change in name as it is an effort to re-emphasize that Jesus Christ is the center of the Church. 

Mormons gonna morm.

19 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

There's a lot of Christian Church's that would and will object to that. 

I'm big on people being able to pick their own identity and label, but yeah I would agree that labeling isn't the clearest. I also don't know how best to discuss it in this sort of forum as its kinda none of my business.

No matter how generous my intentions, trying to read and follow "the Church" (which church, now?)'s written instructions regarding nomenclature seems entirely too cumbersome.

I've had enough friends, acquaintances, sworn enemies, and family members who are Mormon that I feel pretty comfortable diving into this rather off-topic topic.

Still lamenting the upcoming loss of our local awesome Mormon day camp.

39 minutes ago, Sniktaw said:

No matter how generous my intentions, trying to read and follow "the Church" (which church, now?)'s written instructions regarding nomenclature seems entirely too cumbersome.

I've had enough friends, acquaintances, sworn enemies, and family members who are Mormon that I feel pretty comfortable diving into this rather off-topic topic.

Still lamenting the upcoming loss of our local awesome Mormon day camp.

While I can't speak for others, I'll never be insulted if you call me a Mormon. I'll never even try to adjust anyone's usage of the term if they're using it to refer to member of my church. Shoot, I won't even go as far as the new and revised style guide and personally try to "discourage" folks from using the term. 

I'm a Mormon.

He's a Mormon.

She's a Mormon.

Wouldn't you like to be a Mormon too?

(Is that reference too old?)

Once, me and my Mormon friends were driving down the street in my Suburban and I said "Hey Mormon, pass the Jell-O salad,"
And he said "Not 'til we get to the ward activity, Mormon."
And I say "Mormon please." and he's like "Mormon whaaaaaaat?"

One time, this black guy comes up to me and he's like "My Mormon." and I was like "Actually, you can't call me a Mormon. Only we can call each other Mormons. You can say LDS, but not Mormon."

• Downvote 1

Reminds me of a lesson we were  taught in Lutheran confirmation class in 1968.  It is incorrect to call your church "St. John's Lutheran Church".  The correct title is "St. John Lutheran Church."  We don't have churches owned by Saints.  They are all God's Churches.  The Catholics disagree, apparently.