National Annual Meeting 2018 - May 23-25, Dallas

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every married man knows that it is marriage that teaches men how to be subordinate to women. The boys will learn that soon enough.

I think the Brits have that already. It's called Rover Scouts.   

Of course boys need to respect and learn how to work with women. Who disagrees with that? These days, boys are surrounded by women in every aspect of there lives. During 7 years of schooling, my son h

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gblotter said:

Of course boys need to respect and learn how to work with women. Who disagrees with that? These days, boys are surrounded by women in every aspect of there lives. During 7 years of schooling, my son has had a grand total of one male teacher so far. You don't think the idea of working with women as his superiors is getting pounded into his head hard enough yet? The great thing about Scouting was that boys could learn from male role models (for a change) as they negotiate a path through life. *sigh*

Is that really any different than when you were in school?  Elementary education is a pink-collar profession, and has been for the last century.  

And I think working with women as an adult is vastly different from having a female elementary school teacher.  Look at the #metoo movement— I guarantee every man being named had female teachers when he was young.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, bearess said:

Is that really any different than when you were in school?  Elementary education is a pink-collar profession, and has been for the last century.

No - not any different in my generation, but back then boys at least had things like Scouting to provide some balance with male role models. Those options are now narrowing (just sports teams?). Not all boys happen to be sporty (I certainly wasn't).

• Upvote 1

My father-in-law attended the annual meeting in Texas. Kool-Aid flowed in abundance.

Everyone - yes, EVERYONE thinks girls in BSA is the greatest idea ever. The only reason anyone thinks badly of BSA is because the press has been plotting against them. Nothing needs to be fixed except the negative messages being portrayed by the media.

Family, family, family. Get on the train or get run over. The demise of century-old traditions - swept away with smiles and marketing speak.

Two high-ranking LDS leaders were there and spoke of the long and difficult decision to sever ties with BSA. It was not their choice - it was the will of God. Tears were shed.

Not a word was mentioned about huge debts and looming balloon payments. What could possibly go wrong?

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
On 5/25/2018 at 8:03 PM, ParkMan said:

I just was watching the video with Bryan and Anthony Berger (sp?).  What was the deal with the neckercheifs they were wearing?  Did I miss a topic somewhere?

What video? Where is all this information coming from? I would like to follow if I can!

2 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

What video? Where is all this information coming from? I would like to follow if I can!

I think @ParkMan may have been referring to a video with the OA National Chief and Vice Chief, in which Bryan & Anthony appeared to be wearing a neckerchief/t-shirt combo, common in a lot of countries.

Thanks - yes, that's the one.

The way they were wearing them made me wonder if it was an idea they were trying out.

Thank you!

Edited by ParkMan
Left out a sentence
11 hours ago, gblotter said:

My father-in-law attended the annual meeting in Texas. Kool-Aid flowed in abundance.

Everyone - yes, EVERYONE thinks girls in BSA is the greatest idea ever. The only reason anyone thinks badly of BSA is because the press has been plotting against them. Nothing needs to be fixed except the negative messages being portrayed by the media.

Family, family, family. Get on the train or get run over. The demise of century-old traditions - swept away with smiles and marketing speak.

Two high-ranking LDS leaders were there and spoke of the long and difficult decision to sever ties with BSA. It was not their choice - it was the will of God. Tears were shed.

Not a word was mentioned about huge debts and looming balloon payments. What could possibly go wrong?

I suspect they had Kool Aid by the truckload available

Agree that the speak / tenor / attitude from National on down is that THIS change (the admitting girls) is the one that will really do it, this is what was needed.  

The FAMILY emphasis is the one that will be a challenge down the road.  The law of unintended consequences.  While signing up the whole family (Scouting for Dogs anyone??) may be great for the numbers, not sure of the impact to leadership and personal growth.  If the youth and Family are so closely tied through 6 years (yes 6 years) of Cubbery, the move to what was traditional Boy Scouts will be quite a change.  While the program elements and requirements are not changing (yet) likely in many units the delivery of that program will be substantively altered.  Even now troops within the same are vary greatly.  As Girl Troop and "Linked" (coed wink wink) Troop become active they will effect the landscape.  

LDS decision is the LDS decision.  Possibly some LDS scouts will continue in non-LDS units but I am not versed in LDS family culture

The old adage, follow the money.  If you read and review the original Summit justification, there is no way that location can become self sustaining.  From a High Adventure viewpoint the need and numbers were never there.  Yes there may have been some waitlisting, but that is sort of like beach hotels on Memorial Day and the summer.  Sure if you have a 200 unit building you could fill up a 600 unit building for some period, but for 9 months of the year you only need less than 100.  Overall capacity was fine, there was some surge capacity that was a challenge.  The financial woes of the BSA on the National level; Summit costs, bloated staff and salaries, underfunded pensions, insurance costs are where the real trouble is brewing for the future.

11 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

The FAMILY emphasis is the one that will be a challenge down the road.  The law of unintended consequences.  While signing up the whole family (Scouting for Dogs anyone??) 

I think the Brits have that already. It's called Rover Scouts. ;)

Edited by David CO
  • Haha 4