National Annual Meeting 2018 - May 23-25, Dallas

Ellie was just officially announced at the meeting per pictures and posts in FB.  Waiting to see an official release.  This is the first female National Commissioner is BSA history.

Edited by Eagle1993
Update regarding female commissioner
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every married man knows that it is marriage that teaches men how to be subordinate to women. The boys will learn that soon enough.

I think the Brits have that already. It's called Rover Scouts.   

Of course boys need to respect and learn how to work with women. Who disagrees with that? These days, boys are surrounded by women in every aspect of there lives. During 7 years of schooling, my son h

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

I like this quote about her:

"She thinks the boys need to respect and learn how to work with women"

This was a sentiment expressed by one of our Council's key 3 in a talk he gave to all the leaders at summer camp a couple years back.  He reminded us that, in a way that probably wasn't true even for us,  our kids will grow up in a world in which our scouts will have to work with women as their supervisors and superiors, as their peers, and as their subordinates, and if we aren't providing them models for how to do that than we are skipping a big part of what they are going to have to know in life.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

Of course boys need to respect and learn how to work with women. Who disagrees with that? These days, boys are surrounded by women in every aspect of there lives. During 7 years of schooling, my son has had a grand total of one male teacher so far. You don't think the idea of working with women as his superiors is getting pounded into his head hard enough yet? The great thing about Scouting was that boys could learn from male role models (for a change) as they negotiate a path through life. *sigh*

• Upvote 3
38 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

This was a sentiment expressed by one of our Council's key 3 in a talk he gave to all the leaders at summer camp a couple years back.  He reminded us that, in a way that probably wasn't true even for us,  our kids will grow up in a world in which our scouts will have to work with women as their supervisors and superiors, as their peers, and as their subordinates, and if we aren't providing them models for how to do that than we are skipping a big part of what they are going to have to know in life.

Funny how back in the day I learned that from family and school. I thought this was about giving Scouting to girls? ...or families?

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

Didn't he publicly come out that he was against allowing gays to join? Odd pick considering BSA is trying to go in a progressive/inclusive direction

Not according to Wikipedia. It says he was the first member of the board to come out against the old policy excluding gays.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, David CO said:

Not according to Wikipedia. It says he was the first member of the board to come out against the old policy excluding gays.

ahhhhhhhh, I think I have my history backwards then. Thanks for clearing that up

37 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

Every married man knows that it is marriage that teaches men how to be subordinate to women. The boys will learn that soon enough.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, gblotter said:

Of course boys need to respect and learn how to work with women. Who disagrees with that? These days, boys are surrounded by women in every aspect of there lives. During 7 years of schooling, my son has had a grand total of one male teacher so far. You don't think the idea of working with women as his superiors is getting pounded into his head hard enough yet? The great thing about Scouting was that boys could learn from male role models (for a change) as they negotiate a path through life. *sigh*

So you think we should get rid off all my female scout leaders?  1/2 of my ASMs are female.   I work in the Software Engineering field and it is mostly dominated by males, it is something that will hopefully changed over time.  Boys should have role models that are male and female, 25% of my sons teachers are male.   Maybe your school district needs to hire more men?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

So you think we should get rid off all my female scout leaders?

Females have contributed greatly in their roles in our troop.

Boys should have role models that are male and female

Personally, I see the influence of male role models decreasing and the influence of female role models increasing in the lives of boys. Scouting now seems to be following that societal trend. I don't view that as a good thing.

Maybe your school district needs to hire more men?

Absolutely.

Edited by gblotter