Some modest background before I get into the meat of my questions. 

My only experience with a canoe was back in summer camp in 1978's time frame. My buddy at the time and I didn't have a badge class at the time and he wanted to try out the canoes, so we put our swim tags on the board and joined an existing class. We got yelled at because we were sitting on the seats and not on our knees, but other than that we paddled around for awhile and enjoyed ourselves for that hour. 

I recently made the transition from volunteer parent to ASM now that I've shifted to a new department. The other two in the SM track don't have any experience with or interest in learning the Aquatics side of things, but they do have an interest in at least bringing swimming to the scouts while camping. I've got my reservations, but I'm willing to train up and push my boundaries. We do have a parent who is trained as a Red Cross Lifeguard. 

So for summer camp, especially since I am new to the ASM role, I'm taking the training listed below. I've taken what is available online already. I also have a plan to expand my training in first aid and other aspects over the next few years. 

CPR & First Aid
Safe Swim Defense
Safety Afloat
Swimming and Water Rescue
Paddlecraft Safety and Supervision

For the Paddlecraft listing, the BSA Aquatics Resources web page lists the training in two levels. Beginning and then River version. Where does one go for the second level of the Paddlecraft training? I know I'll need to practice etc, which I believe I can manage to do since we have some rental facilities in the area, but looking on my council's calendar for the past and future, there's nothing for BSA specific training that's out there. 

So, where does one go for the next level of training in paddle craft in BSA land? 

Any other insights or pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Presuming you have reviewed this document

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/outdoor program/aquatics/pdf/430-501.pdf

Admittedly does not help on the where to find the training.  If you are inexperienced you may want to look for a commercial river outfit, do a 3 - 4 hour float / paddle.  See how that works, then expand

Edited by Jameson76
1 hour ago, Buggie said:

For the Paddlecraft listing, the BSA Aquatics Resources web page lists the training in two levels. Beginning and then River version. Where does one go for the second level of the Paddlecraft training? I know I'll need to practice etc, which I believe I can manage to do since we have some rental facilities in the area, but looking on my council's calendar for the past and future, there's nothing for BSA specific training that's out there. 

Could you provide a link to the 2 levels of AQUATICS SUPERVISION:PADDLECRAFT because when I took the class, and attempted to get recertified, there was no distinctions. This was 4 and 2 years ago respectively.

https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/aquatics/forms/

Paddlecraft section.

They both reside in the same document mentioned in the post just above, supplied again here. 
https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/Outdoor Program/Aquatics/pdf/430-501.pdf

Seems that the "river" portion requires a level of water motion/activity that doesn't exist locally. 

"River modules need flowing water with Class I to Class II features, including standing waves, a downstream V, a large eddy, and a hazard to be portaged."

So I'm sure there's someplace in another council or region. 

• Thanks 1

Most summer camps near swift water will offer that as part of BSA guard training. Many outfitters know who to call about such things.

BTW - the biggest challenge about a specialty like acquatics is keeping up the certifications. It's a lot of time out of your schedule to stay trained.

So, if folks would like you to offer something (e.g., pre-camp swim checks so they don't "waste" time in line for it at day 1 of camp) schedule it on your terms, or not at all.

On the positive side, it is a tremendous privilege helping that scout who's been stuck at 2nd class for 3+ years master those 100 yards.

Thanks for the links.  For some reason, when I searched h for the instructor syllabus, the pre 2017 version came up. Looks like a major revision too. Going to talk to the SM about it because he took the course last summer, and didn't mention any basic vs river differences. So this may be the first camp season the revised course is being offered.

Glancing over the requirements for river certification, I know some camps will have issues unless they go off site. I know the camp I grew up at a, as well as the camp I got the Aquatics Supervision Course at, does not have the river facilities to priovide certification unless goping off site.

2 hours ago, qwazse said:

On the positive side, it is a tremendous privilege helping that scout who's been stuck at 2nd class for 3+ years master those 100 yards.

Oh, that happened with my kid. He sat at 2nd class because he didn't like lake water that he couldn't see anything in. One year I remember talking to him about the necessity and encouraging him before summer camp, telling his troop adults about his issues and that he needed encouragement etc. So he gets home from camp and I asked if he took the swim test. "No, I didn't feel like swimming that week so I didn't."  (migraine achieved)