CDC: mosquito, tick, flea reported illnesses increase 3X

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Here's a positive step that Scouts might take - a tick drag.

Scout Michael Kinsey heard of this research while considering Eagle projects. He reasoned that if Boy Scouts across the state (Texas) would incorporate a tick drag during their campouts, thousands of samples could be generated to accelerate the research. In the process, they would learn important information about protecting themselves from tick bites, and gain greater understanding of the outdoors.

https://www.txlda.com/texas-teen-turns-tables-on-tragic-illness/

Maybe Scouts can help mitigate this problem.

Another $0.02,

Which is the tick drag, the white flag or the dog?

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

That said, nearly every family in my unit has a family member who had one of these diseases.

Both my sons had the Lyme bullseye and were quickly treated with antibiotics. Their doctor's wife who was also a doctor is a Lyme victim. She is now wheelchair bound. Mrs. Schiff has recurring Bell's Palsy from Lyme.

You sure know how to sell the scouting program, you smooth talker. Do you include this in your recruiting speech?

Sorry to hear about Mrs. Schiff. I hope she is feeling better.

Edited by David CO
25 minutes ago, David CO said:

Which is the tick drag, the white flag or the dog?

The white flag is dragged over brush. On the white cloth, the ticks are easier to see and remove for study.

A black, furry bog might be a plan B or a faithful companion.

Edited by RememberSchiff
32 minutes ago, David CO said:

You sure know how to sell the scouting program, you smooth talker. Do you include this in your recruiting speech?

Sorry to hear about Mrs. Schiff. I hope she is feeling better.

Talking fun works better for recruitment :) but If asked, I will mention my boys and our medical response as they both were bit during scout outings.

My wife contracted Lyme on a family vacation.

Not fun. :(

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Edited by RememberSchiff

3-4 of our scouts got atleast a tick  (they had bug spray) this weekend, one got three of them. Never have we had a problem with ticks until this year. I’m just glad we do checks regularly so none of them were able to latch on.

I got Lyme as a Scout. I have some minor health effects to this day because of it, although fortunately nothing debilitating. 

I hate to admit it, but thinking about Lyme sometimes give me doubts about whether I want my son in Scouting at all. We're especially careful with tick checks and take every possible precaution, but it's a really tough thing to protect our kids against.  

Realistically I also know it's possible to pick it up anywhere when you live in this area (New Jersey). I just saw today on my local community Facebook page a mom posting about finding ticks on her son just from playing in the backyard. 

But I also know that part of being a Scouting family is accepting some additional risk of tick-related illnesses. It's definitely something that can mess with your head as a parent if you think about it enough. And my personal experience with Lyme definitely makes me think about it. 

9 hours ago, FireStone said:

I got Lyme as a Scout. I have some minor health effects to this day because of it, although fortunately nothing debilitating. 

I hate to admit it, but thinking about Lyme sometimes give me doubts about whether I want my son in Scouting at all. We're especially careful with tick checks and take every possible precaution, but it's a really tough thing to protect our kids against.  

Realistically I also know it's possible to pick it up anywhere when you live in this area (New Jersey). I just saw today on my local community Facebook page a mom posting about finding ticks on her son just from playing in the backyard. 

But I also know that part of being a Scouting family is accepting some additional risk of tick-related illnesses. It's definitely something that can mess with your head as a parent if you think about it enough. And my personal experience with Lyme definitely makes me think about it. 

There are many ways to help prevent, such as wearing long socks, pants, boots, etc. Some bugs sprays do help as well.

3 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

There are many ways to help prevent, such as wearing long socks, pants, boots, etc. Some bugs sprays do help as well.

I'm well-aware of all of them, as I was as a kid. I hated shorts as a kid, still do as an adult, I almost always wear long pants, and always when in the woods. I use bug sprays, and also treat my clothes with permethrim. I've used DEET sprays, and as a kid I remember my mother spraying my clothes with a heavy-duty DEET spray. I still got bit at some point, despite many efforts at prevention. And I didn't get the bullseye rash or other typical symptoms to indicate infection and prompt early treatment, which is why I live with some side-effects of Lyme to this day. Not everyone gets the rash or early symptoms. Unfortunately there is no 100% effective prevention. 

My family isn't leaving Scouting any time soon. We'll do our best to prevent tick bites, and just hope for the best. But there are times when this subject does give me pause to consider if this is all worth the risk. I think it is, but like any parent, I'm always inclined to question the risks and benefits of anything our kids do. 

Day 2 of vacation, my body reacted to a few bug bites with the ugliest pustules I've ever seen. Our captain and I were wondering if it was poison wood exposure, but I can't figure how or when. Finally on day 4 they are oozing less. I'm gonna be paranoid for some time after I get home.