Scouting BSA, the May 2nd Scout Me In Announcement

4 minutes ago, AltadenaCraig said:

If the GSUSA had promoted their Gold Award half as effectively as they've marketed Thin Mints and Do-Si-Do's we wouldn't be having this conversation.

They were not able to figure out how to monetize the Gold Award...GSUSA - We're the capitalists in your town ®

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The endgame for the BSA is the end to the phrases "boy scouts" and "girl scouts" in conjunction with it's program.  It's just "scouts" now. We don't say "girl venturers" and "boy venturers" - it'

BSA is definitely not communist. Don't you remember when we all took those surveys on this issue and BSA shared the voting results with us?

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a mor

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Our Scout Executive showed them to us at our last University of Scouting.

You were lucky, then.  Nobody I know in my district got a survey.  And I certainly haven't seen the results of any surveys.

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

I agree that the court of public opinion, regardless of what things are supposed to be called, is going to call girl Scouts "Girl Scouts" because they are girls who are scouts. 

From what has been recently posted here, GSUSA is unlikely to allow the media to characterize them as such due to copyright infringements. Probably will not take more than a handful of "Cease and Desist" requests from GSUSA for the "Standards and Practices" office of most media outlets to make sure their journalists get it correct going forward.

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

I agree that the court of public opinion, regardless of what things are supposed to be called, is going to call girl Scouts "Girl Scouts" because they are girls who are scouts.  just like every single person we encounter while the cub scouts are in uniform immediately says "oh look, it's the boy scouts!"  Not a single person I've ever encountered in public when leading outdoor activities and events has ever said "it's the scouts"

9 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

From what has been recently posted here, GSUSA is unlikely to allow the media to characterize them as such due to copyright infringements. Probably will not take more than a handful of "Cease and Desist" requests from GSUSA for the "Standards and Practices" office of most media outlets to make sure their journalists get it correct going forward.

But there's no way to stop the casual brand dilution when John Q. Public calls them girl scouts. I can see why GSUSA is so peeved.

Edited by Saltface

girl Scouts BSA     and     Girl Scouts GSUSA

are both things now. . .

The public will not be confused at all.  (NOT!)

I hope BSA comes out with a line of cookies to sell as a fund raiser for the new girls.

We could have flavors like    Scout Thick Mints,  Scout Island Caramels,  Scout Scottish Short Bread 

That would be swell!

Edited by cocomax
7 minutes ago, cocomax said:

girl Scouts BSA     and     Girl Scouts GSUSA

are both things now. . .

The public will not be confused at all.  (NOT!)

I hope BSA comes out with a line of cookies to sell as a fund raiser for the new girls.

We could have flavors like    Scout Thick Mints,  Scout Island Caramels,  Scout Scottish Short Bread 

That would be swell!

Scout-scout Sandies

Genderless Ginger deLites

Skort-si-dos

Caramel Fiji's

Scouter Frowns

Linked Troop Trefoils*

*Actually an empty box

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

Like it or not, it is what the program is now.   

Not disagreeing with that sentiment.  The pushback I would give is that the changes are literally all top down, and we (in the trenches volunteers) are just expected to embrace these and keep on keeping on.  At this point my involvement is for the Boy Scout troop, nothing more.  I guess we all have our own lines in the sand with regards to the Boy Scouts and what is the straw that breaks the camels back.  Not sure when I personally get there.

• Upvote 1

Just remember for those of you who feel like protesting. Target your protests correctly.  Making a shirt/sign/slogan/banner/post/whatever that a girl who joins scouting is going to read that basically says to her, "You are not welcome here!" is not the message you want to send. It goes against everything inclusiveness that scouting is about. 

If you want to protest the name, target your protest appropriately. 

• Upvote 3
50 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

The endgame for the BSA is the end to the phrases "boy scouts" and "girl scouts" in conjunction with it's program.  It's just "scouts" now.

We don't say "girl venturers" and "boy venturers" - it's just venturers.  

I'd suggest that as a community, we ought to embrace the new term and own in.  Like it or not, it is what the program is now.   Seems like we ought to get the most mileage from it we can.

Oh no no no no. . .. 

There are all boy Scout troops and soon there will be all girl Scout troops. . . .  they are different things.

You will have to call one  an "all boy Scout Troop" and the other and an "all girl Scout Troop" 

In the near future. . . 

Caller: "Hello is this the Boy Scouts?"

BSA: "Yes, this is the Boy Scouts of America"

Caller: "My child wants to join the scouts, can you direct me to a troop in the area?"

BSA "Sure, what is your child's name?"

Caller: "Pat"

BSA: "Is your child a boy or girl?"

Caller: "Why, does that matter?"

BSA:  "Well you see we have all boy Scout troops and we have all girl Scout troops. . ."

Caller: "Oh, yes my girl wants to join the Girl Scout Troop, I guess, I will ask her .  .  ."

BSA: "No, we do not have Girl Scout Troops we have all girl Scout Troops."

Caller: "I am a bit confused, my girl wants to be a Boy Scout, but now you say she needs to join a Girl Scout Troop?"

BSA: "No, the program is called SCOUTS BSA, but your girl will be joining an all girl Scout Troop."

Caller: "What happen to the Boy Scouts? My girl does not want to join the Girl Scouts, the Boy Scouts have a more fun program and I saw on the news they were accepting girls now. "

BSA:  "We are still the Boy Scouts of America, we just changed the name of our boys program to Scouts BSA make things more clear. The name does not matter, it is the same program. The girls program is also called Scouts BSA and your girl can join an all girl Scout BSA troop. We just took what was called Boy Scouts and dropped boy from the front and added BSA to the back so the full name of the boys and girls programs is now Scouts Boy Scouts of America. So your girl will be joining an all girl Scouts Boy Scouts of America Troop."

Edited by cocomax
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
4 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Out troop is busy printing shirts...

• We are the BOY Scouts of America
  • Viva la resistance!!

They will be on sale soon....

Citizen @Jameson76,

It has come to our attention that your thinking and actions are not in line with expectations.  You are hereby ordered to cease and desist such behavior and thoughts.  Members of the Ministry of Insults and Strawman Argumentation (MISA) will be monitoring your future posts.  In the event you do not cease and desist with such behavior you will be assigned to Special High Intensity Reorientation Training (SHIRT) until such time as your behavior improves.  The liberal elite leaders of your movement understand the importance of resistance.  In the event resistance is required, you will be informed of the time, place, and manner of resistance expected from you.  We sincerely hope this matter is now closed.  ;)

1 hour ago, Saltface said:

But there's no way to stop the casual brand dilution when John Q. Public calls them girl scouts.

There is no way to stop John Q Public from saying anything they want. If you lived in the South like I did, everything is a "coke." When you order a drink at a restaurant if you tell someone you want a "coke", they are likely to ask you what type, "Sprite, coke, diet, Dr, Pepper, sweet tea, etc.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Buggie said:

Just remember for those of you who feel like protesting. Target your protests correctly.  Making a shirt/sign/slogan/banner/post/whatever that a girl who joins scouting is going to read that basically says to her, "You are not welcome here!" is not the message you want to send. It goes against everything inclusiveness that scouting is about. 

If you want to protest the name, target your protest appropriately. 

The name change is a direct result of making scouting coed (here I'm referring to both cub scouting and scouting scouting). And yes, "girls are not welcome here" is the sentiment we want to convey. It's not that we hate them (I have three daughters for which I wish I could find a quality female-only scouting program), it's that the purpose of Boy Scouts (puts dollar in the swear jar) has traditionally been, and in our minds continues to be, a program unswervingly designed to build boys into men.

• Downvote 2
1 hour ago, walk in the woods said:

The pros in my council keep saying we can accept girls into Cub Scouts in September.  The release says:

I guess that they were just being a bit sloppy in the month that they stated. Per the FAQ, a specific start date has not been determined but one may assume that it would be when packs do their normal recruitment. Would not make any sense to make girls wait a month (as they would with an September start date for our packs that recruit in August).