Scouting BSA, the May 2nd Scout Me In Announcement

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

If memory serves, and please correct me if I am not correct @ianwilkins and @Cambridgeskip, when The Scout Association went coed, you could have all male, all female, or coed. Over time there were fewer and fewer all male troops, and eventually everyone was forced to go coed.

I don't think all girl was ever an option except in very specific situations*

At first, from 1991, it was either all boy or coed. From 2003 all new groups had to be coed then from 2007 all had to go coed.

And I use the term "group" quite specifically as it is something you don't at present have, a group here conists of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers (Ian, let's not do the complications of how explorers run, let's keep it simple!) run under a single unbrella and you can have multiple troops, packs etc within a group. My group currently has one beaver colony, two cub packs and two scout troops, all fully coed.  There is the option of having a boy pack and a girl pack and a boy troop and girl troop etc. However the emphasis is on the AND. If you separate the sexes you MUST have provision for both. In practice this is normally only seen at groups sponsored by mosques or synagogues.

*Very specific situations are "closed" groups which are formally attached to single sex institutions like a single sex school.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The endgame for the BSA is the end to the phrases "boy scouts" and "girl scouts" in conjunction with it's program.  It's just "scouts" now. We don't say "girl venturers" and "boy venturers" - it'

BSA is definitely not communist. Don't you remember when we all took those surveys on this issue and BSA shared the voting results with us?

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a mor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

Cub Scouts are called Cub Scouts

Sea Scouts are called Sea Scouts

Venturers are called Venturers

Explorers are called Explorers

Are male Scouts age 11-17 still called "Boy Scouts" or just scouts?  

Scouts scouts.

For example:

"I'm a scout leader."

"Are you with the cubs, scouts, or venturers?"

"Scouts scouts."

8 minutes ago, cocomax said:

The general public will see all girl scout troops, dressed nice, with skorts, leggings and skirts out hiking and camping and doing scout things and will call them "Girl Scouts".

The the general public sees a group of boys in scout uniforms doing scout stuff they will think of them as "Boy Scouts" and refer to them as "Boy Scouts".

The general public will not care about the brand "Scouts BSA", to most people there are "Boy Scouts" and "Girl Scouts".

The sad thing is the groups of girls out there that are reduced to wearing a simple sash or vest as a "uniform" that are stuck doing safe things like selling cookies and doing arts and crafts .  .  .    meanwhile the Boy Scouts of America just quietly lifted their brand name clean as a whistle.

When the general public sees girl Scouts, they will think of them as Girl Scouts.

Girl Scouts started out as a mirror of the Boy Scouts. . .    now the girl Scouts are a mirror of the boy Scouts

GENIUS MOVE!  

I agree that the court of public opinion, regardless of what things are supposed to be called, is going to call girl Scouts "Girl Scouts" because they are girls who are scouts.  just like every single person we encounter while the cub scouts are in uniform immediately says "oh look, it's the boy scouts!"  Not a single person I've ever encountered in public when leading outdoor activities and events has ever said "it's the scouts"

3 minutes ago, cocomax said:

The general public will see all girl scout troops, dressed nice, with skorts, leggings and skirts out hiking and camping and doing scout things and will call them "Girl Scouts".

The the general public sees a group of boys in scout uniforms doing scout stuff they will think of them as "Boy Scouts" and refer to them as "Boy Scouts".

The general public will not care about the brand "Scouts BSA", to most people there are "Boy Scouts" and "Girl Scouts". ...

Around here the general public refers to them (Packs, Troops, Crews, Posts) as scouts, meanwhile GS/USA were girl scouts.

I'm not sure how that came about, either from casual use of language or foreign influence. My Italian exchange student, for one, was quick to correct, "I am a Scout. Not a Girl Scout."

Interestingly she also found the distinction between "scout" and "scouter" to be odd. It bothered her when I would refer to when I was a scout. She'd interject, "What do you mean? Once a scout, always a scout!"

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

I don't think all girl was ever an option except in very specific situations*

At first, from 1991, it was either all boy or coed. From 2003 all new groups had to be coed then from 2007 all had to go coed.

And I use the term "group" quite specifically as it is something you don't at present have, a group here conists of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers (Ian, let's not do the complications of how explorers run, let's keep it simple!) run under a single unbrella and you can have multiple troops, packs etc within a group. My group currently has one beaver colony, two cub packs and two scout troops, all fully coed.  There is the option of having a boy pack and a girl pack and a boy troop and girl troop etc. However the emphasis is on the AND. If you separate the sexes you MUST have provision for both. In practice this is normally only seen at groups sponsored by mosques or synagogues.

*Very specific situations are "closed" groups which are formally attached to single sex institutions like a single sex school.

That's my guess as to what will happen here at some point.

For the next 5-6 years, it will be separate.  This will allow anyone who is in the program today to migrate through.  Once that happens, we'll start to see the transition.  That feels pretty fair to me too - if you join the BSA today, you kinda know where it's heading.

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Scouts scouts.

For example:

"I'm a scout leader."

"Are you with the cubs, scouts, or venturers?"

"Scouts scouts."

Are you saying I should say "Scout-scouts"? As in "My son is in scout-scouts"

7 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

That would be silly :)

It's got to be:

Cub Scouts are called Cub Scouts

Sea Scouts are called Sea Scouts

Scouts and called Scouts

Venturers are called Venturers

Explorers are called Explorers

18 minutes ago, Cambridgeskip said:

With the slight addendum that the Venture Scouts (which started in 1967, replacing Rover Scouts, and causing a schism that created alternative scout associations in the UK that still exist, but are tiny) went co-ed in 1976. 

12 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Most definitely. The emphasis is on the first "scouts." This is to differentiate from the scouts umbrella term.

Our troop meets at the church on El Camino Way. The Scoutmaster is Ben MacDonaldson. Next month, we're going to visit the La Brea Tar Pits.

Like so:

Edited by Saltface
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Saltface said:

Most definitely. The emphasis is on the first "scouts." This is to differentiate from the scouts umbrella term.

I'd disagree.  The BSA just co-opted the general term for it's 11-17 program.  It's:

Cub Scouts - "I'm a Cub Scout", "I participate in Cub Scouts", "I have a Cub Scout meeting"

Scouts - "I'm a Scout", "I participate in Scouts", "I have a Scout meeting"

Venturing - "I'm a Venturer", "I participate in Venturing", "I have a Venturing meeting" - OK, not sure about that last one :)

2 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

Venturing - "I'm a Venturer", "I participate in Venturing", "I have a Venturing meeting" - OK, not sure about that last one :)

I'd Venture to say that's right

• Like 1