Scouting BSA, the May 2nd Scout Me In Announcement

7 minutes ago, oldbuzzard said:

Troop flags don't say "Boy Scouts", just Troop 123 and a BSA emblem. Folks don't mind carrying those and with this name change those won't have to be replaced.

I was wondering about that.  I see our troop flag almost every week but it has been awhile since I actually read it.   :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The endgame for the BSA is the end to the phrases "boy scouts" and "girl scouts" in conjunction with it's program.  It's just "scouts" now. We don't say "girl venturers" and "boy venturers" - it'

BSA is definitely not communist. Don't you remember when we all took those surveys on this issue and BSA shared the voting results with us?

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a mor

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I was wondering about that.  I see our troop flag almost every week but it has been awhile since I actually read it.   :)

Ours (looked at a photo) seems to say Troop XXX and then the fleur-de-lis with  BSA on it in the middle, CO and town noted

25 minutes ago, TMSM said:

I disagree - I'll support my scouts if this is what they want to do. They have been taught in school how to protest and they want to bring this issue to the public. We are a boy led troop so I am going to let them resist.

A scout is respectful.

If the boys decided as a group to say were the Whites are and get shirts made, would you support that?  Even if you happen to be all white, I very much doubt you would allow that.  What are they protesting?  A name change....seriously?

2 minutes ago, TMSM said:

I have discouraged this behavior. They have asked - is BSA our movement or the adults? Do we get a voice? WIll anyone listen to what the Boys want?

So, this week they'll be in a Troop with their fellow boys, and next week they'll be in a Troop with their fellow boys, and next month, and next year. What are they protesting against exactly? That there's another Troop in town that is full of girls? 

And democracy isn't everyone getting what they want. That's anarchy.

• Like 1

So I ask again, what is it they wish to resist? No one is (currently) forcing them to accept girls into the troop. What is it that they feel the need to resist? It can't be this name change as it was just announced today and I doubt they all got together to tell you they want to resist a being called a "Scout."

If they are forced to accept girls in their troop, then I will be an ally in your resistance but that is not the current state of BSA.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

If they are forced to accept girls in their troop, then I will be an ally in your resistance but that is not the current state of BSA.

The day isn't over....

I have one very important question. @Cambridgeskip, did you win the bet or did I? I think you got one wrong and one right.

I'll have a £5 bet on the announcement being;

1. The name of the organisation will change from Boy Scouts of American to either BSA or Scouts or America

2. The 11-17 program will change its name from Boy Scouts to Scouts.

10 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

If memory serves, and please correct me if I am not correct @ianwilkins and @Cambridgeskip, when The Scout Association went coed, you could have all male, all female, or coed. Over time there were fewer and fewer all male troops, and eventually everyone was forced to go coed.

The general public will see all girl scout troops, dressed nice, with skorts, leggings and skirts out hiking and camping and doing scout things and will call them "Girl Scouts".

The the general public sees a group of boys in scout uniforms doing scout stuff they will think of them as "Boy Scouts" and refer to them as "Boy Scouts".

The general public will not care about the brand "Scouts BSA", to most people there are "Boy Scouts" and "Girl Scouts".

The sad thing is the groups of girls out there that are reduced to wearing a simple sash or vest as a "uniform" that are stuck doing safe things like selling cookies and doing arts and crafts .  .  .    meanwhile the Boy Scouts of America just quietly lifted their brand name clean as a whistle.

When the general public sees girl Scouts, they will think of them as Girl Scouts.

Girl Scouts started out as a mirror of the Boy Scouts. . .    now the girl Scouts are a mirror of the boy Scouts

GENIUS MOVE!  

• Like 1