• Downvote 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The endgame for the BSA is the end to the phrases "boy scouts" and "girl scouts" in conjunction with it's program.  It's just "scouts" now. We don't say "girl venturers" and "boy venturers" - it'

BSA is definitely not communist. Don't you remember when we all took those surveys on this issue and BSA shared the voting results with us?

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a mor

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cyphertext said:

So if a chartering organization and troop wish to continue with a boys only program, that is inane and childish?

No silly - printing up the t-shirts out of spite is inane and childish.

If your chartering organization wants to continue with a boys only program and call yourselves Boy Scouts, go ahead - you'll still be in the Scouts BSA program regardless of what you call yourselves.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

Maybe you don't have to face 100 parents who will be asking this question and expecting an answer, but I'd like to know the answer so I can provide it.  

The program isn't changing, so there really isn't anything to focus on other than "it's not changing" 

I don't understand why you can't provide answers, or if you don't have concrete answers, at the very least acknowledge it's something that some people will want an answer for and just allow for discourse on what the answers may be.  

This thread is literally about "names", it's not about program, it's about "names".  Asking about them seems fairly on topic. 

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a more formal discussion - but girls will likely just call themselves Scouts (since Girl Scout is actually trademarked).

That being said - it is highly likely that everyone here has used the term Scout or Scouts to refer to the boys many times before.  In all my years, I have never, ever heard a Scoutmaster, an SPL, a camp staffer, a Patrol Leader, etc. ever try to gather a group of scouts by hollering out "OK, Boy Scouts - Gather Around".  What do they say (if it's not something like "hey guys) is OK, Scouts - gather around.  We've all been calling groups of our Scouts as Scouts all along.  And Packs?  Most will just say Cubs and not Cub Scouts.

I'd tell the parents that they'll be called Scouts - but if they want to call themselves a Boy Scout, no one will stop them.

• Upvote 4
9 minutes ago, CalicoPenn said:

No silly - printing up the t-shirts out of spite is inane and childish.

If your chartering organization wants to continue with a boys only program and call yourselves Boy Scouts, go ahead - you'll still be in the Scouts BSA program regardless of what you call yourselves.

I disagree - I'll support my scouts if this is what they want to do. They have been taught in school how to protest and they want to bring this issue to the public. We are a boy led troop so I am going to let them resist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, CalicoPenn said:

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a more formal discussion - but girls will likely just call themselves Scouts (since Girl Scout is actually trademarked).

That being said - it is highly likely that everyone here has used the term Scout or Scouts to refer to the boys many times before.  In all my years, I have never, ever heard a Scoutmaster, an SPL, a camp staffer, a Patrol Leader, etc. ever try to gather a group of scouts by hollering out "OK, Boy Scouts - Gather Around".  What do they say (if it's not something like "hey guys) is OK, Scouts - gather around.  We've all been calling groups of our Scouts as Scouts all along.  And Packs?  Most will just say Cubs and not Cub Scouts.

It was mentioned before, but to reiterate Venturing is technically called "Venturing BSA", but of course no one goes around saying they are part of Venturing BSA. 

I also wouldn't stray away from the thought that the BSA in "Scouts BSA"  was put in place to prevent any push back from the GSUSA who already threatened legal action with trademark violations. 

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

No Boy Scout troop with a long and proud history is going to drop Boy and call themselves Scout Troop Xxx

I understand the sentiment here, but in reality and in all practicality, does this really change anything for most troops? Let's think about it: When was the last time you said, in casual conversation, the full name, "Boy Scout Troop XX"? 

This came up for me back when the very idea of girls in the BSA first emerged as a real possibility and people were talking about what the organization would be called, what Troops would be called, etc. Someone said, "So what, we can't address our guys as 'Boy Scouts' anymore??" To which my response was, "When was the last time you addressed scouts directly as 'Boy Scouts'? You say 'Scouts', as in 'Scouts, line up!' or 'Scouts, attention!'." 

Likewise when addressing or speaking of a Troop, who ever says "Boy Scout Troop XX"? It's more likely just "Troop XX". Or in some cases people don't even say "Troop" or "Pack", especially the 3-or-4-digit unit numbers. I often hear something like "856, line up!" or something like that. Never in my life have I ever heard anyone say "Boy Scout Troop XX, line up!"

So we just keep calling them Scouts. And I suspect in most cases and in most conversations, we'll still just say "Troop XX".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, TMSM said:

I disagree - I'll support my scouts if this is what they want to do. They have been taught in school how to protest and they want to bring this issue to the public. We are a boy led troop so I am going to let them resist.

Just keep running your units programs like normal. No need to make your troop into an underground resistance group

• Upvote 3
46 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

No Boy Scout troop with a long and proud history is going to drop Boy and call themselves Scout Troop Xxx

Troop flags don't say "Boy Scouts", just Troop 123 and a BSA emblem. Folks don't mind carrying those and with this name change those won't have to be replaced.

I know several troops with 75-100+years at the same CO and plenty of Eagles who will happily switch to calling themselves Scout Troop XXX probably starting next week, certainly by summer camp.

This feels like a stop-over change to me. The organization is still "Boy Scouts of America," and "BSA" is still in the program name for the girl groups. This doesn't feel like a final solution to the name problem when it comes to addressing this now being a co-ed organization. I suspect there will eventually be another change to step further into this co-ed role. 

45 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I get you are upset, but I think we should focus more on our scout program and less on names.

I agree with that.  But I also think this is going to take some getting used to.

And, speaking of our program, the BSA has been saying since the beginning of this thing that there were going to be two separate programs at ages 11-17, one for boys and one for girls.  There were charts and diagrams and everything, showing two separate programs.  CSE Surbaugh made it clear, using various terminology, that the BSA was not going to "mess with" (my term) Boy Scout troops.  Now it appears that there will be one program, "Scouts BSA."  Will there still be separate TROOPS?  I see no mention of that in the press release.  And if there are, unfortunately that does get back to what things are called.  If a CO has a boy troop and a girl troop, will they have the same number?  Will they be Troop123B and 123G?  (Or "M" and "F"?)  I agree that names are not the most important thing, but I do hope there is going to be more clarity on this from National.  I will call things whatever National wants me to call them, but they have to tell me.

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, TMSM said:

I am going to let them resist.

Resist what? A name change? It was announced that girls were joining BSA months ago. Why does a name change now engender such a reaction?

You sure you are not encouraging them to resist instead of simply letting them?

2 minutes ago, FireStone said:

This feels like a stop-over change to me. The organization is still "Boy Scouts of America," and "BSA" is still in the program name for the girl groups. This doesn't feel like a final solution to the name problem when it comes to addressing this now being a co-ed organization. I suspect there will eventually be another change to step further into this co-ed role. 

I have a sneaky suspicion you are correct. 

I, for one, look forward to the National annual meeting in late May. That's when BSA loves to do their mic drop announcements.

Also it's not true co-ed :) (on paper at least)

Edited by carebear3895
2 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I agree with that.  But I also think this is going to take some getting used to.

And, speaking of our program, the BSA has been saying since the beginning of this thing that there were going to be two separate programs at ages 11-17, one for boys and one for girls.  There were charts and diagrams and everything, showing two separate programs.  CSaE Surbaugh made it clear, using various terminology, that the BSA was not going to "mess with" (my term) Boy Scout troops.  Now it appears that there will be one program, "Scouts BSA."  Will there still be separate TROOPS?  I see no mention of that in the press release.  And if there are, unfortunately that does get back to what things are called.  If a CO has a boy troop and a girl troop, will they have the same number?  Will they be Troop123B and 123G?  (Or "M" and "F"?)  I agree that names are not the most important thing, but I do hope there is going to be more clarity on this from National.

In the press release, BSA had an info-graphic of linked troops still. So yes, they will still be "separate"

3 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Now it appears that there will be one program, "Scouts BSA."  Will there still be separate TROOPS?  I see no mention of that in the press release.  And if there are, unfortunately that does get back to what things are called.  If a CO has a boy troop and a girl troop, will they have the same number?  Will they be Troop123B and 123G?  (Or "M" and "F"?)  I agree that names are not the most important thing, but I do hope there is going to be more clarity on this from National.

Now you are getting into the mysterious "Linked Troops" netherworld.

You can have the same CO, apparently same unit number, same committee, meet at the same time, go on the same outings BUT it is not co-ed

3 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Resist what? A name change? It was announced that girls were joining BSA months ago. Why does a name change now engender such a reaction?

You sure you are not encouraging them to resist instead of simply letting them?

I have discouraged this behavior. They have asked - is BSA our movement or the adults? Do we get a voice? WIll anyone listen to what the Boys want?