Scouting BSA, the May 2nd Scout Me In Announcement

36 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Out troop is busy printing shirts...

• We are the BOY Scouts of America
  • Viva la resistance!!

They will be on sale soon....

No Boy Scout troop with a long and proud history is going to drop Boy and call themselves Scout Troop Xxx

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The endgame for the BSA is the end to the phrases "boy scouts" and "girl scouts" in conjunction with it's program.  It's just "scouts" now. We don't say "girl venturers" and "boy venturers" - it'

BSA is definitely not communist. Don't you remember when we all took those surveys on this issue and BSA shared the voting results with us?

Fair enough question.  The name of the Boy Scout program is changing to Scouts BSA.  No one is going to call themselves a Scout BSA.  Boys are likely to continue to call themselves Boy Scouts in a mor

Posted Images

Just now, an_old_DC said:

No Boy Scout troop with a long and proud history is going to drop Boy and call themselves Scout Troop Xxx

I'd bet $5 National will eventually crack down on those Boy Scout troops. 

3 minutes ago, an_old_DC said:

@RememberSchiff

check out the Scout Me In resources here

https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Scout-Me-In-and-Scouts-BSA.pdf

no mention of Boy Scouts after February 1. Youth that age will say “I am a Scout.” 

Thanks for link.  Yes "I am a Scout" , but there is no mention that a scout CANNOT say they are a "Boy Scout"

1 minute ago, Gwaihir said:

I'd bet $5 National will eventually crack down on those Boy Scout troops. 

You are probably right. Of course they never cracked down on rogue packs full of tag along girls “unofficially” earning badges, and they never cracked down on rogue troops with tag along girls on outings...but that’s different.🙄

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

Thanks for link.  Yes "I am a Scout" , but there is no mention that a scout CANNOT say they are a "Boy Scout"

So then what do girls call themselves?  Just Scouts? girl Scouts with a lower case g? 

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

They could say they are a Boy Scout but there will not be a Boy Scout program

1 minute ago, Gwaihir said:

So then what do girls call themselves?  Just Scouts? girl Scouts with a lower case g? 

According to the new marketing material, girls would just call themselves Scouts

7 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I get you are upset, but I think we should focus more on our scout program and less on names.

Maybe you don't have to face 100 parents who will be asking this question and expecting an answer, but I'd like to know the answer so I can provide it.  

The program isn't changing, so there really isn't anything to focus on other than "it's not changing" 

I don't understand why you can't provide answers, or if you don't have concrete answers, at the very least acknowledge it's something that some people will want an answer for and just allow for discourse on what the answers may be.  

This thread is literally about "names", it's not about program, it's about "names".  Asking about them seems fairly on topic. 

Edited by Gwaihir
3 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I get you are upset, but I think we should focus more on our scout program and less on names.

But if you can't get the brand out there concisely and effectively, then the program doesn't matter as people will (rightly) assume that you can't get that together, either.

1 minute ago, numbersnerd said:

But if you can't get the brand out there concisely and effectively, then the program doesn't matter as people will (rightly) assume that you can't get that together, either.

Agree as we have seen before again and again.

34 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

If the name is Scouts BSA, then what does the 'S" in BSA stand for ?  don't want to be redundant

It stands for Scouts, just like always.  Its use in this case is to differentiate Scouts in the BSA from Scouts in the GSUSA. 

• Thanks 1