From National: Official Name

10 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

I just don't care when girls start getting the first Eagle.   They should follow the program, but if it only takes 22 months or whatever, so be it. 

We don't care, and I doubt many girls will either. But for sure there will be some extremely "motivated" parents out there gunning for their daughter to be the first ever Eagle Scout. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You raise some interesting points that I'd like to address from many years running coed scouts in the UK Will girls being around influence how boys behave? Sort of. And by that I mean in a g

My son will be a Scout, like I was in the 80s and 90s, at least in how I referred to myself, how my parents and friends referred to us, etc. We were "scouts", our leaders called us "scouts", they addr

There is a beauty in the logic. If one is looking for the exit he can just say "Scout Me Out".

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, FireStone said:

We don't care, and I doubt many girls will either. But for sure there will be some extremely "motivated" parents out there gunning for their daughter to be the first ever Eagle Scout. 

Some folks are gonna be under some extreme pressure on that one. I still think someone will try to beat the official date and sue.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Some folks are gonna be under some extreme pressure on that one. I still think someone will try to beat the official date and sue.

Actually from what @Eagle94-A1 said, mathematically it could work out to August 2020 for the first girl Eagle Scout. Even if National is saying December 2020, for sure someone will push that August possibility and try for it. 

1 hour ago, Chisos said:

Reading your last sentence...I'm hoping there aren't units who are planning to "count" pre-Feb 1 work for advancement.  You've got to be registered to complete advancement, right? (rhetorical question...)

I'm just afraid the race to be "FIRST!" will result in someone missing the journey...

From what I am reading, they are learning the skills now so that once Feb 1st comes, they can demonstrate them and earn the rank.

I agree, getting Eagle should not be a race, but a journey. I talk about my cousin nd how he Eagled and quit at 13, and thus missed out on a heck of a lot whereas I Eagled at 18, and had so much fun I never really quit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

From what I am reading, they are learning the skills now so that once Feb 1st comes, they can demonstrate them and earn the rank.

I agree, getting Eagle should not be a race, but a journey. I talk about my cousin nd how he Eagled and quit at 13, and thus missed out on a heck of a lot whereas I Eagled at 18, and had so much fun I never really quit.

I could see this more of an issue for girls turning 18 in 2020.  Outside of those, I agree that there shouldn’t be a rush.  

12 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I could see this more of an issue for girls turning 18 in 2020.  Outside of those, I agree that there shouldn’t be a rush.  

That will be the cue for the gnashing of teeth and cry for exceptions to the 18 year barrier as it is patriarchal and speaks of a male imposed barrier (I kid).  There will be concerns when the older girls want to join and there are no troops OR the troops are new and no resources / institutional knowledge to speed them along.  Then we will have discussions and surveys about a coed option

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

That will be the cue for the gnashing of teeth and cry for exceptions to the 18 year barrier as it is patriarchal and speaks of a male imposed barrier (I kid).  There will be concerns when the older girls want to join and there are no troops OR the troops are new and no resources / institutional knowledge to speed them along.  Then we will have discussions and surveys about a coed option

Why wait for the accusations of patriarchy!  That foundation is/has already been set.

We live in an era of fake news and strange bedfellows. While the Boy Scouts’ announcement is being spun as a courageous gesture toward gender equality, it’s more likely to further patriarchal goals. 

41 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Why wait for the accusations of patriarchy!  That foundation is/has already been set.

The author admits near the beginning of the article that accepting girls is a business decision. Basically greed. But later she says it's advancing patriarchy? The article says more about the NYTimes than the changes of the BSA.

But I snicker because the tone of her article asumes the folks driving this change at National are somewhat clever or smart. :laugh:

Barry

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

The patriarchy is the feminist version of the Illuminati.

If the girl scouts started accepting boys, would anyone care? Would anyone join?

Oh aye, a few.    my mother ran the GS summer day camp in our district for about 15 years. Most of the staff found in easier to camp out for those two weeks than drive back and forth from home twice a day.   In the beginning I got dragged along so that she could keep an eye on me.  As I moved into my early teens I discovered that girls were not as yucky as they had been when I was younger.   When I was 16, a  15 year old girl came to camp with the most amazing blue eyes I had ever seen.    Remember the word "twitterpated" from Bambi?   A few of the younger scouts in my troop tried to make a joke about me being stuck in a girls camp.   I just smiled,  told them to get back to me in a few years, and actually invited some of them to our wedding 7 years later.  

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, FireStone said:

I don't think there will a single first but many many firsts all on the same day - such is the nature of Eagle BORs.

Oh it will be a race, and someone will try and claim to be the very first. Heck I bet some EBOR will do one at Midnite August 1 2020 to claim it.

Although an evil thought has popped into my mind :cool: To reward those ladies who followed the rules and joined Venturing, automatically give them credit for First Class, and any Venturing awards that have similar OR easier Boy Scout MB requirements, give them the MBs.  That would narrow down the playing field in the race to Eagle.:p

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Oldscout448 said:

As I moved into my early teens I discovered that girls were not as yucky as they had been when I was younger.   When I was 16, a  15 year old girl came to camp with the most amazing blue eyes I had ever seen.    Remember the word "twitterpated" from Bambi?   A few of the younger scouts in my troop tried to make a joke about me being stuck in a girls camp.   I just smiled,  told them to get back to me in a few years, and actually invited some of them to our wedding 7 years later.

First of all, mazel tov, as they said back in the Old Country.  Second of all, this is why I have been a little surprised and perhaps a bit skeptical about the reports in this forum of current Boy Scouts being generally dead-set opposed to this.  Most teenaged boys I know would not be so upset about being "forced" to spend more time around teenaged girls.

14 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

Oh aye, a few.    my mother ran the GS summer day camp in our district for about 15 years. Most of the staff found in easier to camp out for those two weeks than drive back and forth from home twice a day.   In the beginning I got dragged along so that she could keep an eye on me.  As I moved into my early teens I discovered that girls were not as yucky as they had been when I was younger.   When I was 16, a  15 year old girl came to camp with the most amazing blue eyes I had ever seen.    Remember the word "twitterpated" from Bambi?   A few of the younger scouts in my troop tried to make a joke about me being stuck in a girls camp.   I just smiled,  told them to get back to me in a few years, and actually invited some of them to our wedding 7 years later.  

Cute story, but I imagine this is exactly the type of thing that will get GSUSA riled up and never allow boys in Girl Scouts.  I can just hear it now: "You, as a male, went to camp to prey and seduce girls who were just there to be empowered.  Girls weren't even free to be girls without concern of having to look pretty for the opposite sex."

P.S. My mother and aunt also ran a GS troop for a while and I was a "tag-along" too. Still remember that Brownie song about turning your frown upside down.

Edited by Pale Horse