From National: Official Name

2 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

You are confusing conservative with political parties - it was southern conservative democrats that opposed those rights. 

2 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

You are confusing conservative with political parties - it was southern conservative democrats that opposed those rights. 

Are you defining conservative literally or by political view?  When I think of conservatism today I mainly think of the anarchy on the right and totalitarianism on the left diagram.  Obviously things are not that simple.  

Edited by jamskinner
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You raise some interesting points that I'd like to address from many years running coed scouts in the UK Will girls being around influence how boys behave? Sort of. And by that I mean in a g

My son will be a Scout, like I was in the 80s and 90s, at least in how I referred to myself, how my parents and friends referred to us, etc. We were "scouts", our leaders called us "scouts", they addr

There is a beauty in the logic. If one is looking for the exit he can just say "Scout Me Out".

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jamskinner said:

You can look at it through a modern day lens and ignore the situation at the time. 

You infer something not implied.

I hold no malice toward what our leaders did 200+ years ago. That was the time in which they lived. I also hold no malice to how BSA was created or the fact that even though girls showed up from the start with a desire to join, they were told to form their own organization. Again, that was the time in which they lived and I have no reason to judge them based on such.

But, it is now 100+ years later. Our country evolved and now BSA is evolving. 

3 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Now, yes society has changed.  The point is there is still that needed for an organization to work with and help develop boys into men who can be a positive asset to their community. 

To me, this is the only real argument in favor of a boys only program.  Would the scouting mission of developing youth be better accomplished by a separate program for boys (BSA) and a seperate one for girls (GSUSA).

What BP thought 100 years about gender separation isn't really all that relevant.  There are just too many other groups that started in that era with separate programs that are now unified.  Its hard to accept the argument that BP was correct when others who did the same are were wrong.

9 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

And where do the English stand now on the subject of coed Scouting?  Not separate dens or patrols or linked troops, coed as in coed.  And @Cambridgeskip says they sometimes have boys and girls tenting together.  (!)

I'd add that in the UK boys and girls tenting together is still relatively rare but is increasing.

Hop across the channel to mainland Europe and it is far more common, especially in Scandanavia.

Here is a link to the pitches that were presented at the Next Connect conference.

https://scoutingwire.org/nextconnect/

Some info on digital marketing and some tool changes

A bit more details on dates/timelines including a December 2020 date listed for first girl Eagle Scouts.

Interesting slide indicating we need to expand our community... (New donors, New Charter partners, etc)

On 5/5/2018 at 7:03 AM, Eagle1993 said:

A bit more details on dates/timelines including a December 2020 date listed for first girl Eagle Scouts.

I'm assuming that date was chosen as the earliest possible time that a girl could have joined and then completed the requirements. Is that really possible? If a girl can only register with a Troop February 1, 2019, can she really make Eagle in 22 months? 

I wonder if it's sort of warning to Troops: Don't even bother trying to submit applications for girls before December 2020, we'll know that you started too early, cut corners, etc. 

2 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I'm assuming that date was chosen as the earliest possible time that a girl could have joined and then completed the requirements. Is that really possible? If a girl can only register with a Troop February 1, 2019, can she really make Eagle in 22 months? 

I wonder if it's sort of warning to Troops: Don't even bother trying to submit applications for girls before December 2020, we'll know that you started too early, cut corners, etc. 

I think that timeline's possible (though crazy!).  6 months to get to 1st Class, 4 to Star, 6 to Life, and 6 to Eagle.  That's the 22 months.

That's doable, but they'd have to fit the 10 non-meeting Troop/Patrol activities in, in 6 months.

21 minutes ago, Chisos said:

I think that timeline's possible (though crazy!).  6 months to get to 1st Class, 4 to Star, 6 to Life, and 6 to Eagle.  That's the 22 months.

That's doable, but they'd have to fit the 10 non-meeting Troop/Patrol activities in, in 6 months.

In 15 years as a committee member I have seen one Scout make First Class in 6 months.  (Not my son, it took him 2 years and a few months because of swimming).  So it is possible, but not very common.

31 minutes ago, Chisos said:

Actually the bare minimum of time to go from Scout to First Class is 3 months, and that is for the physical fitness requirements ( 1 month each for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class. So the absolute earliest for First Class if Girls start on Feb. 1 would be May 1st, 2019  September 1st for Star, March 1st for Life, and August 2020 the earliest for a female Eagle. looking around Facebook, there are troop that have siblings already working on advancement so that as soon as they are allowed to join, they can get rank ASAP.

18 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

In 15 years as a committee member I have seen one Scout make First Class in 6 months.  (Not my son, it took him 2 years and a few months because of swimming).  So it is possible, but not very common.

Since 1989 when they removed the time requirements for T-2-1 ranks, I've seen 1 Scout make it in 6 months, and then he had 3 BORs in the same night! This was in 1990 right after the requirements changed and we did not know we could have 1 BOR for all three ranks.

11 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Actually the bare minimum of time to go from Scout to First Class is 3 months, and that is for the physical fitness requirements ( 1 month each for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class. So the absolute earliest for First Class if Girls start on Feb. 1 would be May 1st, 2019  September 1st for Star, March 1st for Life, and August 2020 the earliest for a female Eagle. looking around Facebook, there are troop that have siblings already working on advancement so that as soon as they are allowed to join, they can get rank ASAP.

Yeah, I thought about the 3-month possibility...that would (in addition to the physical fitness) require a troop/patrol activity (other than a meeting) almost every week for the three months.

Reading your last sentence...I'm hoping there aren't units who are planning to "count" pre-Feb 1 work for advancement.  You've got to be registered to complete advancement, right? (rhetorical question...)

I'm just afraid the race to be "FIRST!" will result in someone missing the journey...

Edited by Chisos
Added a third thought
36 minutes ago, Chisos said:

It is possible - The timeline (from attaining First Class) is 16 months.  That being said to get to First Class requires:

1. Since joining Boy Scouts, participate in 10 separate troop/patrol activities, at least six of which must be held outdoors. Of the outdoor activities, at least three must include overnight camping. These activities do not include troop or patrol meetings. On campouts, spend the night in a tent that you pitch or other structure that you help erect, such as a lean-to, snow cave, or tepee.

If the troop is active, a scout should be able to get the outdoor requirements

There is camping merit badge - 

a. Camp a total of at least 20 nights at designated Scouting activities or events.* One long-term camping experience of up to six consecutive nights may be applied toward this requirement. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent.

*All campouts since becoming a Boy Scout or Varsity Scout may count toward this requirement.

Again, IF the troop is active and IF the Scout comes to things, that can be done in a shortened window.  

The challenge will be that older girls will look to join and earn the Eagle Scout.  With a new troop or a new linked troop, getting all of this met could be an issue.  Also will the unit have MBC available for all the required merit badges and earning 21 in that time can be a challenge

We have a scout that joined when he was 15 almost 16.  Had a conversation with him about what he wanted to accomplish in BSA beyond just the fun, experience, outings, and leadership (and if he had said that was all would have been fine).  He indicated he may hope to get Life Scout but felt not enough time for Eagle.  We sat down and looked at the timeline and key dates.  Talked about merit badges and what he needed for that.  Basically last summer (his first with us) he did High Adventure, and both summer camps.  This summer he is doing High Adventure and our second summer camp.  Also he has attended some of the merit badge weekends and clinics for some additiona.  If he stays on track he could accomplish the plan within a two year window.  That being said we are working with an older Scout and that helps.

4 minutes ago, Chisos said:

Reading your last sentence...I'm hoping there aren't units who are planning to "count" pre-Feb 1 work for advancement.  You've got to be registered to complete advancement, right? (rhetorical question...)

It depends what the "work" is.  The girls can LEARN all the things they need to know to pass the requirements (first aid, knots, map-reading, etc. etc.), but they have to wait until Feb. 1 to actually do what it says in the requirements, that is, "tell," "discuss," "show," "demonstrate," etc.

• Like 1

This makes me think back to when my son was a a tiger...a boy joined his den a week before Crossover. At the ceremony, the leader made a big deal about how he'd just joined and he completed all his requirements in ONE WEEK! Wow! What a great Scout!

My thoughts were, He must've missed some school to fit in all those Go See Its, and What the hell were we doing, attending the meetings all year long when you could get the whole program done in a week?