From National: Official Name

The 11-18 year old PROGRAM will be Scouts BSA effective February 2019. 

https://www.scoutingnewsroom.org/press-releases/scout-me-in/

The Corporation will remain "Boy Scouts of America"

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You raise some interesting points that I'd like to address from many years running coed scouts in the UK Will girls being around influence how boys behave? Sort of. And by that I mean in a g

My son will be a Scout, like I was in the 80s and 90s, at least in how I referred to myself, how my parents and friends referred to us, etc. We were "scouts", our leaders called us "scouts", they addr

There is a beauty in the logic. If one is looking for the exit he can just say "Scout Me Out".

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Spiney Norman said:

Now if we can just get them to get a program together for us at that level, oh I don't know like what we already have in Venturing. What is so hard about this?

You have it. Open your Boy Scout Handbook. Same aims and methods. That's what I've been hearing from Professionals for several weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I just saw this come across my google news feed.... figured it would be a topic here.

Is it just me or is the name somehow....odd.  Almost redundant I guess. Certainly poor english....(not that I would know much about that, being an engineer and not an english major in college.....)

I don't know....

it goes from

Boy Scouts of America

to

Scouts Boy Scouts of America

Oh well...matters not to me....

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, blw2 said:

I just saw this come across my google news feed.... figured it would be a topic here.

Is it just me or is the name somehow....odd.  Almost redundant I guess. Certainly poor english....(not that I would know much about that, being an engineer and not an english major in college.....)

I don't know....

it goes from

Boy Scouts of America

to

Scouts Boy Scouts of America

Oh well...matters not to me....

Somebody else made this point earlier, but it kind of makes the youth in this program:

Scout Scouts

• Upvote 1

"Scout Me In" .... UGH. Resorting to PUNS now, are we? Could this slogan be any more unimaginative? 

I frankly despise this name change. I had anticipated the girl's program getting their own name and materials, not that we would be forced to change our name and then share a bnunch of watered down materials. This is disheartening in the extreme. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

"Scout Me In" .... UGH. Resorting to PUNS now, are we? Could this slogan be any more unimaginative? 

I frankly despise this name change. I had anticipated the girl's program getting their own name and materials, not that we would be forced to change our name and then share a bnunch of watered down materials. This is disheartening in the extreme. 

No dissent it allowed (guess you missed that memo). Either embrace the changes or run the risk of being un-Scoutesque (like the variety of Scouts formerly known as Boys) and chastised for not living up to the Oath and Law.  You may be chided for being inane and foolish also, so at least that can be a goal.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

Not only that, but it immediately brings to mind "Scout Me Out" (which actually rhymes).  This was not a well-thought out marketing slogan, but they probably spent millions on it.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Not only that, but it immediately brings to mind "Scout Me Out" (which actually rhymes).  This was not a well-thought out marketing slogan, but they probably spent millions on it.

So THAT'S WHY they raised membership fees!

49 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

imo, it's certainly lazy and the idea they're running with that people will be confused... is typical lowest common denominator nonsense society has peddled for many years now.  People are smart, set standards high and challenge people to rise above.  If people have some difficulty understanding, explain it to them, work with them.  This is path of least resistance... just like the continually watered down path to Eagle. ho-hum. 

48 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

No dissent it allowed (guess you missed that memo). Either embrace the changes or run the risk of being un-Scoutesque (like the variety of Scouts formerly known as Boys) and chastised for not living up to the Oath and Law.  You may be chided for being inane and foolish also, so at least that can be a goal.

Scouts and scouters can dissent without breaking the Scout Oath and Law. They courteously state their opinions supported by facts not innuendos.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Well, luckily I have been working with kids long enough to be able to take an inordinate amount of chiding and chastisement without any ill effects, lol.

51 minutes ago, Chadamus said:

What do you suggest?

Simple - give the girl program an entirely separate name, and don't touch the boys program. Or better yet! - forget including the ladies at all, as per the past 108 years of Boy Scouting. I certainly will not allow thrashing public opinion to compell me to bend to their agenda; girls and boys are different, and I will not be cowed into offering up my assent. I think the entire thing is a bad move, from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts, and I will continue to refer to the program as Boy Scouts, since fortunately my CO will not be accepting girls into its programming. But I pity the CO's, councils, districts and units that are going to feel so inordinately pressured to do so. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1