How will you talk about girls troops and packs?

OK, so, my Pack needs to talk about whether we are running with a girls program next year.  My sons' troop, or their CO will also need to talk about whether they are forming a girls' troop.

The Pack and Pack CO seems open to having girls.  It may just be a matter of getting organized and recruiting leaders.

The Troop committee seems to have an overall negative view about a girls program.  It seems that no one wants to mess around with it -- except, maybe, me.  And maybe I know some women I could recruit for a new troop....   

But then again,  I have all sons and don't personally need a girls troop, but it's something I could get involved in as a leader.  

I'm afraid to even bring it up with my sons' troop committee.  LOL.  I expect they're going to shut it down the second I bring it up.  Maybe it will be better than that but it does need to be discussed as this is a major change in the BSA and they need to talk about how they will work with or not work with the new program. 

Any suggestions? 

Also the new episode of Scoutcast, the Scouting Podcast is very good about bringing girls into the program. 

Edited by WisconsinMomma
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I expect the first complaint that makes it to the Tampa Bay Times and all parties will fold and we will go Co-Ed rules be darned. Linked Troops is clearly a short interim strategy--National will chang

Posted Images

I feel ya. I have mentioned this at the Troop level; so we have a correct, courteous, and kind response one way of another. Most of the current leadership just does not want to deal with it.

But then a couple of us were shot down trying to do a non-binding 5 year plan so we could save up for a new Troop van; no one wanted to think ahead.

While (as some folks may know from previous comments) I was not in favor of the change in policy in principle but now that it has been decided do not think the implementation is that big of a deal. 

• Like 1

Short answer to your question, if you want to start a Girl Troop (Girl Boy Scout Troop??) ((Actual name to be determined))   My understanding is if you get the CO approval, 5 committee leaders, and 5 participants you can do that.  Basically starting a new troop, it does not have to be Linked.  A CO can have multiple units and they do not have to share committees.

Our troop is not planning on changing our current objective, which is to work with young men and help them become better prepared for life as leaders, by using character development, citizenship training, and personal fitness to achieve those goals.   Our adult leader group and committee is not exploring nor entertaining expanding that objective to a linked troop.

At the CO we have 2 Cub packs, one is potentially expanding to add girls to the pack, one is not sure

For the troop while we are not looking at the linked troop option, we are also not working against anyone (though to our knowledge there is not anyone) starting a girls only troop.  If they want to start a troop for girls at our CO, we wish them success and if they need input or advice, we can be a resource on best practices.  

Our program plate is pretty full at this time

We have had the discussion on the packs and possibly girls visiting as part of WEB II and AOL requirements.  That would not be an issue as for camping they would be with parents and meeting are just meetings.  Our discussion would be with those families is that our troop is just boys and no specific linked troop.  If the CO has a girls troop, then they could of course visit there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If your troop committee is like mine, they're just hesitant to a new big project that doesn't help improve the program for their sons.

The path in our troop is for some adults interested in doing this to spearhead it.  4-5 adults who are willing to work to make it happen.  The rest of the committee will support it if they get it going.

My recommendation:

1) figure out if you CO would be open to it.  If no, then there is probably little point.

2) start talking about the possibility with folks.  See if other parents are interested.  If yes, develop a proposal and take it to the committee.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do not know what is going on with the CO's pack except the CM, who is stepping down at the end of the month, is all for it.

Currently the troop is doing a survey of everyone affiliated with the troop: Scouts, parents, and Others (future Scouts, Scouters without kids, etc.). Results are not finished, but so far the ones for girls are adults. The overall majority is against girls, but will deal with them if the CO wants to go coed ( that is how we are reading "Linked Troops"). We do have some Scouts that said if the girls start interfering with their program, they will either transfer or quit altogether. Again very few are all for it.

On a positive note, 5 females said they would be willing to become SM/ASMs of the "Linked troop." Hopefully they will be willing to get trained and deprogrammed from Cub Scout Leader mode.

4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

We have had the discussion on the packs and possibly girls visiting as part of WEB II and AOL requirements.  That would not be an issue as for camping they would be with parents and meeting are just meetings.  Our discussion would be with those families is that our troop is just boys and no specific linked troop.  If the CO has a girls troop, then they could of course visit there.

You may want to double check on that. My understanding from all the stuff I am seeing regarding YPT2 is that a registered female Scouter over 21 must camp when girls camp, parents do not count.

14 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

You may want to double check on that. My understanding from all the stuff I am seeing regarding YPT2 is that a registered female Scouter over 21 must camp when girls camp, parents do not count.

Not disagreeing, but as they are not registered with the troop and are there as guests???  It is not a Pack outing.  Lord who knows.....

I am holding off bringing this up for a month or so. But here's my pitch:

I will share the outline I got from Wendy Shaw's talk from training (and posted for you all a while back).

I will then point out that I have not seen 5 girls willing to form a troop nor a female adult willing to be trained, but if you are out there, I have myself and a willing CO. The unknowns are the existing troop committee and PLC who may decide how "linked" they want to be.

My house has a doorbell and a phone ... tag me before five teens come and ask to restart the Venturing Crew.

27 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Not disagreeing, but as they are not registered with the troop and are there as guests???  It is not a Pack outing.  Lord who knows.....

But it may be considered a Webelos Den Camp Out. Again WHO KNOWS???????????????? (caps for emphasis, not shouting at you. ;) )

Edited by Eagle94-A1
12 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

But it may be considered a Webelos Den Camp Out. Again WHO KNOWS???????????????? (caps for emphasis, not shouting at you. ;) )

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth and you had to have Tour Permits, our go to was that the invited Webelos were in fact guests there of their own volition and we did not include them on our tour permit.  Also as it was voluntary and not a planned den (Web patrol) and they were family camping so from the pack side, no tour permit

As for the YPT and girls on a troop visitation, not 100% sure.  Can Dad bring them without Mom?  Can a Dad bring his son and girl from the Webelos Den without a Mom?  Does it have to be a mom?  It is a good point and as the apparent new rules dictate that the female YPT trained over 21 leader must also be CM / ACM or (in addition??) DL / ADL not sure if that particular person would need to be there also?

I will break out my YPT playbook ready wrist reference so as to be vigilant and compliant

Image result for wrist play holder

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

OK, so, my Pack needs to talk about whether we are running with a girls program next year.  My sons' troop, or their CO will also need to talk about whether they are forming a girls' troop.

The Pack and Pack CO seems open to having girls.  It may just be a matter of getting organized and recruiting leaders.

The Troop committee seems to have an overall negative view about a girls program.  It seems that no one wants to mess around with it -- except, maybe, me.  And maybe I know some women I could recruit for a new troop....   

But then again,  I have all sons and don't personally need a girls troop, but it's something I could get involved in as a leader.  

I'm afraid to even bring it up with my sons' troop committee.  LOL.  I expect they're going to shut it down the second I bring it up.  Maybe it will be better than that but it does need to be discussed as this is a major change in the BSA and they need to talk about how they will work with or not work with the new program. 

Any suggestions? 

Also the new episode of Scoutcast, the Scouting Podcast is very good about bringing girls into the program. 

IMHO, it's a CO decision.  

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Do not know what is going on with the CO's pack except the CM, who is stepping down at the end of the month, is all for it.

Currently the troop is doing a survey of everyone affiliated with the troop: Scouts, parents, and Others (future Scouts, Scouters without kids, etc.). Results are not finished, but so far the ones for girls are adults. The overall majority is against girls, but will deal with them if the CO wants to go coed ( that is how we are reading "Linked Troops"). We do have some Scouts that said if the girls start interfering with their program, they will either transfer or quit altogether. Again very few are all for it.

On a positive note, 5 females said they would be willing to become SM/ASMs of the "Linked troop." Hopefully they will be willing to get trained and deprogrammed from Cub Scout Leader mode.

Well, to be slightly sexist, I think women Den Leaders will have more problem with Scout led than do male Den Leaders. 

Troop has decided that we will not pursue a "linked" girl troop.  If there are girls/adults interested in forming a troop, and the CO will back them, they are welcome to go and form their troop.  If our PLC and their PLC want to do anything cooperative during the year, that is their choice- we will not hinder, nor force it.

Many other units in the area I have found feel similar.  One theme I am hearing often is that troops may provide use of equipment to get them going (provided the troop with the equipment isn't in need of it on the same day/weekend), but just outright giving them access to the same bank account is not what they want to do.  no hard feelings in those opinions, it's just being viewed as any other new troop forming, they need to pave their own way. 

• Upvote 2

None of our feeder Packs expect any girls this year but they are not against girls joining, In our troop the boys are against girls joining the troop and are wondering why they weren't asked - its their movement. Our parents feel as if this is being shoved down their throats. 

In my view I have enough to do as SM and I have been propping up the CC for 2 years now so I doubt he will go to the CO to ask if we can have a second troop. Our COR is not engaged in what we do and just signs what we put in front of him so doubtful he will start anything.

I am agnostic to this whole idea, my focus is teaching young men how to be men. If someone else wants to teach young women  about character, citizenship and physical fitness then they should go for it.

If there was analternative boys only "club" for the outdoors I would lose 75% of my scouts.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

Well, to be slightly sexist, I think women Den Leaders will have more problem with Scout led than do male Den Leaders. 

You have obviously not drunk of the "all are equal" kool aid.