can a CO change the rules? if so, how far?

25 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

I do not model this with the scouts or others.

Neither do I. If it wasn't for the badges on the uniforms, a casual observer of my unit might have had a difficult time picking out the leaders. Leadership in most tasks was based more on skill level than unit rank.

But if there was a serious problem or disagreement, we would immediately revert back to our formal rank structure. 

Edited by David CO
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is where many of us take for granted that we've each gravitated toward the CO's who give us the latitude we feel we need to deliver the program we think we must. As a scout, I was always puz

It would seem reasonable for the CO to add rules about how the troop operates when they don't compete with official BSA rules.  Those rules could be more restrictive.  For example: the troop can not p

COs do differ in their mission, and how they want their various "ministries" to reflect that mission.  Some COs want exclusive involvement by their scouting programs to the CO, some less are concerned

1 hour ago, perdidochas said:

and it sounds dangerous to me, in terms of YPT. 

That's a valid point. Scouting was organized (in the USA) with this system of Chartered Organization ownership long before YPT came into existence. I'm sure there are many who feel that the two are incompatible. It wouldn't be the first (or only) time that BSA has instituted contradictory and/or incompatible policies.