As some may know, I worked at a Cub Scout day camp last year and got offered the same position for this year. I only got a $25 raise and still make under $800. It would be for 7 weeks, 8-5 almost every day.

I turn 16 in June, and I can find a actual part time job in the summer.

Im so lost on what I should do, and if it is worth it working at the day camp. My parents say don’t, and I’ve had teachers say don’t, but need more opinions.

We work for smiles.

That said, money does make one smile. But, not in the same way that a scout who recognizes you years from now will.

Tough choice.

Just so you know, it never gets easier.

1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

Im so lost on what I should do, and if it is worth it working at the day camp. My parents say don’t, and I’ve had teachers say don’t, but need more opinions.

Listen to your parents.

It's fine for those of us who have decent paying day jobs to volunteer some of our free time for smiles. It is an entirely different thing for a young person to forgo good employment opportunities or neglect his education. If I remember correctly, you need that money for college.

Edited by David CO
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Make a list of pro's and con's that each opportunity offers you this summer and BEYOND.   Employment is not just about $ but also experience learned and networking contacts made.

Any hospital or other patient-contact jobs on your radar?

My $0.02,  good luck.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

Make a list of pro's and con's that each opportunity offers you this summer and BEYOND.   Employment is not just about $ but also experience learned and networking contacts made.

Any hospital or other patient-contact jobs on your radar?

My $0.02,  good luck.

I can work at a pediatric office when I turn 17. It’s partnered with my school. No jobs for 15 or 16.

Brian, what do you think you should do? Any why? I'll echo RememberSchiff: weigh the pros and cons of day camp.

My take: I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

Few people find the sweet spot that combines the best of both.

Lots of good advice. Don't envy your having to make a decision. 

After my father left, I had to work. I was fortunate in that lifeguarding was fun. But if I could have staffed camp, I would have, BUt the pay was a heck of a lot better with the lifeguard job.

• Thanks 1

I was offered another camp job for 2 weeks that pays above minimum wage, so I might consider working few weeks at the day camp (if they allow it) and the two weeks at another camp, then will have a part time job throughout the summer.

CSDC:  Some pay, fun, admiration, doing what I love,  helping young Cubs along the way, this will be here when I get back....  recognition by Cubs in the local Safeway, 

Other job:   Experience,  maturing, responsibility, better pay,  helping others, learning new skills,  

Check with the new job, maybe they are "Scout Friendly" and would allow that time off to work the Scout Camp.  Or part time?   Too stressful?  I once had a evening job at a hospital and did a parttime tutoring at a local Middle School.  Good experience, well appreciated, gave me another reference. But, a LONG day....

Wow you got paid to work Day Camp?  That's awesome.

19 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I can work at a pediatric office when I turn 17. It’s partnered with my school. No jobs for 15 or 16.

This is the sad part for 16 & 17 year old, jobs they use to have access to are now being done by adults. 

Need to find what's best for you.

This is not a new dilemma.  When I was 16 (the legal age to be employed) in 1970, I worked at the mall in a shoe store.  I made more on a Saturday than I would have been paid for a week of 18 hour days at camp.  While I loved Scouting, it was a no brainer.  I had to have money for gas and saving for college.  

Update: I turned down the day camp job unfortunately and will work for 2 weeks at a non-scout camp and make above minimum wage. I'll also find a part time job. Thanks everyone.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Thanks 1

I spent my late teenage years and college years working at a Hardware Store. My senior year of college, with my goal of graduating without student loan debt in sight, I took a job as a Rifle Director for one summer at the local camp. I'd been asked for years to be on staff and turned it down, because I had a goal of not having the Sallie Mae monster follow me around after graduation.

In High School, College, and immediately after graduation, having an extra thousand bucks or more in your pocket makes life a lot easier to get through. 

In the Human Resources field we talk a lot about "Total Rewards." Which means all the financial and non financial benefits to a job. There are definitely some strong non-financial benefits to working at camp, but ultimately you have to look at finances first. 

Just because you didn't work at camp this year doesn't mean you won't have the chance in the future. 

Good luck with your work this summer. You're building good habits that will last a lifetime, and getting some money to go with it. The youth participation rate in the labor force is abysmally low, so I'm glad you're getting out there and making something of yourself during your time off from school. 

Edited by Sentinel947
2 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Good luck with your work this summer. You're building good habits that will last a lifetime, and getting some money to go with it. The youth participation rate in the labor force is abysmally low, so I'm glad you're getting out there and making something of yourself during your time off from school. 

I’m just fortunate to be able to get a job before turning 16 in June and making over minimum wage... every place around me is 16 or 18+.