CSE Letter on GSUSA Infringements

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gah, that article really chaps my backside. To quote:   What a convenient mischaracterization. As long as we are on the subject of "allowing" girls, my daughter was "not allowed' to join any

Only in the cone of silence

Good reminder for those of us recruiting girls going forward.  This letter was sent out earlier today.   CSE Letter on Infringements.pdf

Posted Images

Our local GSUSA council just sent out a broadcast e-mail, which is also on their website:

https://www.girlscoutsrv.org/en/about-girl-scouts/news/2018/girls_center.html

Among the allegations:

A school district representative in our area reported that a Boy Scout volunteer told them that Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are merging.

A Boy Scout volunteer in our region asked a Girl Scouts River Valleys volunteer to help create programming for girls who join Boy Scouts.

We heard a rumor from a concerned member that "Girl Scouts River Valleys are in dire financial straits and are practically being forced to merge with the Boy Scouts."

I suspect that #1, if it happened, was the result of the school employee misunderstanding some correct information that was provided.  Rumor #3 doesn't make any sense, since there's no mechanism for a local council of the GSUSA to "merge" with the BSA.

And I suspect that #2 is absolutely true.  Some BSA volunteer asked some GSUSA volunteer to help create a good youth program.  Last year, I (a BSA volunteer) was asked to help a GSUSA volunteer create programming.  Not only was I asked, but I was happy to do so, and I did.  If I do say so myself, it was very good programming, and I think the girls enjoyed it.   The GSUSA did absolutely nothing wrong in asking me to do this.  And the BSA did absolutely nothing wrong if some volunteer made a similar friendly request.

Edited by clemlaw
14 hours ago, clemlaw said:

Our local GSUSA council just sent out a broadcast e-mail, which is also on their website:

https://www.girlscoutsrv.org/en/about-girl-scouts/news/2018/girls_center.html

Among the allegations:

I suspect that #1, if it happened, was the result of the school employee misunderstanding some correct information that was provided.  Rumor #3 doesn't make any sense, since there's no mechanism for a local council of the GSUSA to "merge" with the BSA.

And I suspect that #2 is absolutely true.  Some BSA volunteer asked some GSUSA volunteer to help create a good youth program.  Last year, I (a BSA volunteer) was asked to help a GSUSA volunteer create programming.  Not only was I asked, but I was happy to do so, and I did.  If I do say so myself, it was very good programming, and I think the girls enjoyed it.   The GSUSA did absolutely nothing wrong in asking me to do this.  And the BSA did absolutely nothing wrong if some volunteer made a similar friendly request.

I have also cooperated with a local GSUSA leader on a shared activity...and then she got in trouble.

13 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I have also cooperated with a local GSUSA leader on a shared activity...and then she got in trouble.

We work with the GS Troop(s) at our church on Scout Sunday.  For next year I guess we can all be there, it seems we will not be able to talk to each other.....

• Sad 1