CSE Letter on GSUSA Infringements

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gah, that article really chaps my backside. To quote:   What a convenient mischaracterization. As long as we are on the subject of "allowing" girls, my daughter was "not allowed' to join any

Only in the cone of silence

Good reminder for those of us recruiting girls going forward.  This letter was sent out earlier today.   CSE Letter on Infringements.pdf

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

So, we can't say "Girl Scout"???

You can say it, but without prior permission from GS/USA, you can't add it to any promotional flyer for a BSA activity that you intend to open to Brownies, Daisies, Cadets, or Ambassadors

I feel a little more pride today:

We are the Boy Scouts of America. When inaccurate stories appear in the media,

we will take the higher ground. We will apologize for and correct mistakes. We will

correct significant inaccuracies in courteous fashion. We applaud the efforts of all

who serve youth. We will speak positively and support the efforts of all other

youth-serving organizations.

--------------------

• Like 1

There have been some Packs that actually generated recruiting material that showed a Girl Scout and a Girl Cub Scout on the same flyer emphasizing you can be both.  I also know of some Packs that have combined GSUSA and BSA meetings for their new members.  ... That was a disaster as GSUSA investigated them for financial reasons (was GSUSA Troop $$ spent on BSA activities).  I think all of this comes from well intentioned volunteers but GSUSA clearly has a right to their brand and sees this as a threat.

The other area is media confusion.  I remember one newscast that showed the GSUSA logo when talking about BSA.  

GSUSA is defending their copyright and BSA is reminding their volunteers to comply. 

16 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

There have been some Packs that actually generated recruiting material that showed a Girl Scout and a Girl Cub Scout on the same flyer emphasizing you can be both.  

Related image

• Haha 1

Hmmm.  So if a GSUSA unit and Pack want to run a joint Pinewood Derby they have to produce multiple fliers for the various constituencies?  That's a bureaucracy worthy of government.  I can see the recruiting posters but the promotional material seems a bit much and too context sensitive for a blanket ruling.

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Do people do that?  (I do realize there is a smiley-face there, but if there is a joke here, I am missing it.)

The irony is that I was looking just last week at GS patches in the hope that I could find one that my daughter might use next year for one of her ideas for a patrol patch. Obviously, there are not a high number of girl-centric patrol patches already in existence (though I did surprisingly find a Power Puffs Girls cartoon patrol patch called Cartoon Power on Class B - http://tradingpost.classb.com/cartoon-power-patrol-patch/ and I had to wonder which existing patrol would use such?!?).

I doubt I am the only scouter that would be considering such a solution. Now I know better.

16 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

produce multiple fliers for the various constituencies?

I feel like we never put such announcements on paper and simply sent out emails. No reason to use both logos for both emails. Text is probably sufficient with a graphic representing the event without logos.