More gems from Baloo...

So apparently another gem to come out of new Baloo course material is:  Cub Scouts shouldn't carry their own water when camping/hiking.  This flies directly in the face of the 6 essentials of a hike, which is part of rank requirements for Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos and Boys' Life and Scouting magazine social media accounts repeatedly publish articles highlighting the 6 essentials... I'm left perplexed. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A part of me keeps hoping to wake up and discover this was all just a big joke. 

The new in-person course for 2018. 

Posted Images

The 2017 course material still speaks of the the six essentials:

As a quick reminder, the Cub Scout Six Essentials for hiking are a first-aid kit, a filled water bottle, a flashlight, trail food, sun protection, and a whistle.

18 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

So apparently another gem to come out of new Baloo course material is:  Cub Scouts shouldn't carry their own water when camping/hiking.  This flies directly in the face of the 6 essentials of a hike, which is part of rank requirements for Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos and Boys' Life and Scouting magazine social media accounts repeatedly publish articles highlighting the 6 essentials... I'm left perplexed.

Me too as BALOO states

page 45

"Make sure all hikers are equipped with plenty of water for the hike."

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/510-033(17)BALOO.pdf

Wha ..... ?!?!? :blink:

But then ... who's supposed to carry all the water?! What if I take my 7 boys out hiking, am I supposed to carry it? My poor assistant? A mule? A llama?

Who's supposed to carry it? 

Am I supposed to carry it?

I don't wanna carry it. :(

1 minute ago, The Latin Scot said:

Wha ..... ?!?!? :blink:

But then ... who's supposed to carry all the water?! What if I take my 7 boys out hiking, am I supposed to carry it? My poor assistant? A mule? A llama?

Who's supposed to carry it? 

Am I supposed to carry it?

I don't wanna carry it. :(

watercarrier.jpg

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Do they have a logic for this (idiotic seeming) change? I am not saying you don't carry backup water (they are kids after all) but REALLY!?

When confronted with the 6 essentials for a hike, the trainers had no response and just cited the instruction manual. 

What's beyond parody is these kids carry water bottles to school with them, in their backpacks, pretty much wherever they go.  This is regressive to say the least.  "Be Prepared" :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1