AP NEWS: Thousands of girls joining boys as Cub Scouts

I have asked about dens meeting together and that would not be considered breaking  rules.  My father who is a volunteer at a council out of state and my DE had the same response.  A girl den should be treated the same as a boy den.   If you have dens that meet together for joint projects you can continue doing that with boy and girl dens.   Yes... this could clearly be a paper den, but there has been no clear rule I have seen that states boy and girl dens cannot work on projects together.

Now.... if every meeting is coed and they do everything together and have the same leaders it would be a violation.  I do expect this is and will happen, I’m just not sure that is the case in this article.

Edited by Eagle1993
Further clarification
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, if "packs are already doing it" is a valid reason to incorporate girls into BSA, why can't we push them to change the G2SS in the same manner?

Absolutely,  all scouts should be makers! My older son at 14 used a Bridgeport. At 21, he is using Haas CNC machines. My younger son at age 10 built birdhouses for a school fundraiser. He us

Based on the skew of the comments my guess is that this article is linked through a right wing site (Drudge, Fox, Breitbart, CNS, etc.).  If linked through a left wing site (Huffington Post, Daily Kos

Posted Images

6 hours ago, cocomax said:

Clearly Mr Weir is the assistant den leader and Mr Pescosolido is the den leader.  We have 2 men leading a pack of 8 kids,    4 boys and 4 girls.

This breaks YPT rules as well as the no mixed dens rule.

Have you read the roster? Do you know how many adult leaders are on it? How many were present?

Looking at the news wire story https://www.apnews.com/1ea6dd147080464881e604e575233aab/Beyond-cookies:-Thousands-of-girls-are-becoming-Cub-Scouts I see at least one female adult in one of the photos. Plus, on the opposite side of the lens ...according to the byline, "Holly" is a female name.

Girls were on one side of boys on the other, dens were separated.

So, @cocomax, did you miss these proofs that this pack is compliant with early adopter rules, or ignore them?

In order to trick us into your narrative, what other truths will you obfuscate? Who else will you  bear false witness against?

11 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Wow - and they said it would not happen, they literally assured us it would not happen with letters form the key 3 and everything...

Oh...

Image result for this is my shocked face

You've been rocking it with the memes lately...

From the Article:

Tatum Weir agreed. She had been to a few of her brother’s meetings — their dad is the assistant den leader — and was eager to join.

“I thought it would be pretty cool because I thought it would be a good opportunity to do with my brother,” she said. “There’s a lot of cool activities.”

Asked what he likes about Cub Scouts, Ian Weir ticked off a short list: going places, nature, and “Tatum’s in it.”

“I was a little skeptical because it was me and my dad’s thing, but when Tatum got in it was even more fun,” he said.

-----

Sounds like brother and sister are going to the same den meeting and their dad is the assistant den leader. It sounds like brother and sister are having fun doing everything together. There may be two dens on paper (which is maybe why they have 4 boys and 4 girls ), but they are acting as one den. 

Here is more news from the same pack, different article:

Christianna Wiechert, age 8, also hopes to follow her brother into Cub Scouts. Wiechert is also a member of the Girl Scouts.

“She’s been a part of both worlds since she was a baby,” said Christianna’s mother, ChrisAnn Wiechert. “The minute girls were allowed (in Cub Scouts), she said, ‘I want to do both.’ So here we are.”

ChrisAnn said Christianna, the youngest of four siblings (her two teenage sisters are both Girl Scouts), plans to remain involved with Girl Scouts. As a Girl Scout leader, ChrisAnn Wiechert stressed that Girl Scouts is not necessarily the “girl version” of Boy Scouts.

“There’s value to being girls-only, but there’s value to being with both genders,” ChrisAnn said. “There tends to be a little more of the outdoor aspect than you find in Girl Scouts. I’m not all that outdoors-y, but my husband is.”

----

Does anyone else find it odd that this mom finds value in a girls only program,  but not in a boys only program? 

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that so many Girl Scout Adult leaders are "not outdoors-y"?    That really bothers me.

@RememberSchiff, are you talking about the craft drill? The one with the hand crank?

4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

... Power tools, YES!

Or, did you just figure you'd toss that in while the fish were biting? :mad:

1 hour ago, cocomax said:

Breaking the rule on cub scouts using power tools. . . .

@cocomax, how do you like those red sunglasses?:p

Updating score:

0 YPT violations

0 G2SS violations

1 harsh reality:

38 minutes ago, cocomax said:

.... It sounds like brother and sister are having fun doing everything together. ...

Edited by qwazse
25 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@RememberSchiff, are you talking about the craft drill? The one with the hand crank?

Or, did you just figure you'd toss that in while the fish were biting? :mad:

@cocomax, how do you like those red sunglasses?:p

Updating score:

0 YPT violations

0 G2SS violations

1 harsh reality:

Well, I saw a porter cable corded power drill.  Here's a second reference to the restrictions on power tools, https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/healthsafety/pdf/680-028.pdf.  Power cutting tools limited to those 14 and over or per the manufacturers instructions, which ever is stricter.  The manufacturers instructions are at http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/885911115216_install.pdf and specifically say "Keep children and bystanders away while operating a power tool."  While I do see eye protection in the PPE, and a mounted work piece, there's no evidence of hearing protection.  

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

For those worried, at least one female parent/guardian is in the video, standing in the background with coffee.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beyond-cookies-thousands-girls-becoming-cub-scouts-022746762.html

Looks like the scouts are having fun and the leaders are doing a good job. Power tools, YES!

Kids using POWER TOOLS!!!!   and you are happy about that. . . .   wow.

21 minutes ago, cocomax said:

Kids using POWER TOOLS!!!!   and you are happy about that. . . .   wow.

Absolutely,  all scouts should be makers!

My older son at 14 used a Bridgeport. At 21, he is using Haas CNC machines.

My younger son at age 10 built birdhouses for a school fundraiser. He used a power drill, pneumatic brad nailer, and a wood branding iron.

IMO, adults should teach young people how to safely use tools and supervise their use. Old school.

If adding girls brings back a sensible tool policy to BSA, like the GSUSA has, what next? Squirt guns.

:)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

My son learned to use tools in Webelos and how to make simple PVC catapults...which he made one and I came from work and he was flinging oranges and rocks more than a 100' flying over our back privacy fence...into 4 lanes of traffic. Heard some brakes before I got him to stop.

53 minutes ago, cocomax said:

A porter cable corded AC power drill with a large spade wood drill bit is not a "craft drill".

You mean the one that the adult is holding the trigger on? While the daughter stands behind with safety goggles, spotting?

All we see is conduct well within the intent of G2SS.