AP NEWS: Thousands of girls joining boys as Cub Scouts

Its unfronate that all we hear lately is about girls enetering boyscouts at least for the last few weeks. Pictures of this girls or that girl doing cub scouts. Thats great but don't forgt the boys and the great things they are accomplishing. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, if "packs are already doing it" is a valid reason to incorporate girls into BSA, why can't we push them to change the G2SS in the same manner?

Absolutely,  all scouts should be makers! My older son at 14 used a Bridgeport. At 21, he is using Haas CNC machines. My younger son at age 10 built birdhouses for a school fundraiser. He us

Based on the skew of the comments my guess is that this article is linked through a right wing site (Drudge, Fox, Breitbart, CNS, etc.).  If linked through a left wing site (Huffington Post, Daily Kos

Posted Images

Pacific Harbors Council executive Ralph Voelker might know something we don't. . .  Boy Scouts will be renamed Scouts. . .  which would explain why there is no name for the Girl's program yet. . .

He said:

BSA has four main programs. All of them, except for Boy Scouts, are currently welcoming girls, Voelker said. Boy Scouts, probably just called Scouts by then, will accept girls by Feb. 1, 2019.

Read the whole story here:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/latest-news/article208649604.html

Pacific Harbor is doing fantastic with having girls join up  0.8% of their cub scouts are girls and they have skorts.

3 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

Yeah - Feminism spent decades excoriating men for having men-only spaces and now here we are, almost 50 years later and women now want their women-only spaces.  I'm sure I have a reputation as one of the most liberal people in this forum but I have to say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander - open up those women only spaces or you're no better than the men you criticized for years.

Meh. I am right there with you but I am not bothered by the idea that some women might want a woman only coworking space. There are male-only version(s) of this too (Nomadic Thinkers is one, not sure of any others).

But that being stated, NYC is investigating these women-only spaces for gender bias: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/29/women-only-coworking-space-the-wing-is-under-investigation-for-excluding-men.html

2 hours ago, sri_oa161 said:

If the name does change to Scouts, what happens to the Congressional Charter for Boy Scouts of America?

I would expect the same change that occurred when the Boys Club charter was updated when they changed to the Boys and Girls Club.  From the Boys and Girls Club website -   “To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization's name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.”

However, I’m not sure Boy Scouts of America name would change.  I think it could just be (possibly) one of the programs under BSA.  Of course this is all speculation.

14 hours ago, cocomax said:

Pacific Harbors Council executive Ralph Voelker ...He said: ...

@cocomax, Ralph Voelker didn't say that. His quote was closed in the paragraph before. The words " probably just called Scouts by then " are Craig Sailor's.

I and about 24 scouters can quote Wendy Shaw,  National's Membership Growth Group Director who affirmed the name "Boy Scouts of America" will remain unchanged in 2019. But we're not journalists trying throw volatiles on a fire, so I guess you don't really know.

7 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@cocomax, Ralph Voelker didn't say that. His quote was closed in the paragraph before. The words " probably just called Scouts by then " are Craig Sailor's.

I and about 24 scouters can quote Wendy Shaw,  National's Membership Growth Group Director who affirmed the name "Boy Scouts of America" will remain unchanged in 2019.

What about 2020 or thereafter? And that is a serious question too. Let's face it BSA made the decision to go coed before the town halls were even announced. They had literature in the works and published in July 2017 that used gender neutral language. And Surbaugh's experience has been in Exploring/Venturing. As a former pro, I can tell you that being an Exploring/Venturing exec is a very limiting field for promotions.

17 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

Yeah - Feminism spent decades excoriating men for having men-only spaces and now here we are, almost 50 years later and women now want their women-only spaces.  I'm sure I have a reputation as one of the most liberal people in this forum but I have to say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander - open up those women only spaces or you're no better than the men you criticized for years.

maybe they're progressing to find that gender segregation has benefits. 

1 minute ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

What about 2020 or thereafter? And that is a serious question too. Let's face it BSA made the decision to go coed before the town halls were even announced. They had literature in the works and published in July 2017 that used gender neutral language. And Surbaugh's experience has been in Exploring/Venturing. As a former pro, I can tell you that being an Exploring/Venturing exec is a very limiting field for promotions.

Take no thought for tomorrow, for today has enough troubles of its own.

Sorry, I didn't write the rules.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

What about 2020 or thereafter?

Well...BSA National has more to worry about than a name change by 2020 (and 2022).  Gonna need to keep existing numbers and add about 1.8 million new Scouts (any gender welcomed) and keep them for the next 4 years to cover all of this need

From the 2016 annual report:

In March 2012, the National Council issued debt to finance the development of the Summit. $175,000,000 in 10-year, tax exempt bonds was added to the existing 2010 Series A and B bonds, and the 5-year $50,000,000 line of credit was increased by $25,000,000 to $75,000,000. Bond issuance costs were $100,000. The Series A bond was paid in 2015 and the Series B bond has monthly principal and interest payment with a balloon payment of $40,363,000 due in 2020. The $175,000,000 bonds payable, requires monthly interest and principal payments with a balloon payment of $136,834,000 due in 2022. The organization’s entire bond proceeds have been used for development of the Summit.

But...on the plus side...

Management believes that cash generated from operations, together with the liquidity provided by existing cash balances, the line of credit, along with significant donor contributions, will continue to be sufficient to pay the bond payments as scheduled.

So we've got that belief going for us

51 minutes ago, qwazse said:

28 minutes ago, cocomax said:

I would rather. . . 

Be prepared.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow" is archaic (early 1600's) phraseology. A more modern translation might be clearer: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow".

I never saw this as being in opposition to "be prepared".

2 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

the National Council issued debt

When it comes to the issuance of debt, such entities can do a lot of creative things. Nothing would necessarily (absent some written rules against such) keep them from simply issuing new debt to pay off the balloon payments. It can be rather easy to kick that can down the road if need be.

Now interest rates are likely to be much higher then so the debt service is likely to be more expensive if they do that.

Edited by Hawkwin
typo