AP NEWS: Thousands of girls joining boys as Cub Scouts

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, if "packs are already doing it" is a valid reason to incorporate girls into BSA, why can't we push them to change the G2SS in the same manner?

Absolutely,  all scouts should be makers! My older son at 14 used a Bridgeport. At 21, he is using Haas CNC machines. My younger son at age 10 built birdhouses for a school fundraiser. He us

Based on the skew of the comments my guess is that this article is linked through a right wing site (Drudge, Fox, Breitbart, CNS, etc.).  If linked through a left wing site (Huffington Post, Daily Kos

Posted Images

These were the first 4 comments I read, and if these are any indication of the genral quality and usefulness of comments, I think I'll skip the rest. 

"What will become of the cookies?"

"And the Girl Scouts responded to this inclusive policy by allowing boys to join them??"

"How many boys are joining the Girl Scouts?"

"So can boys join the girl scouts?"

I wouldn't regard the comment section of any news website as a good indicator of, well, pretty much anything, especially not what the general public thinks. 

Edited by FireStone
  • Upvote 1

Reading the comments shows just how uninformed the public is to this change. We are seeing a tiny handle of girls joining cub scouts in my area and to keep a 1 gender den they will combine all ages. Talking to some of thier parents I see that some are being pushed by parents due to political beliefs and other are girls just wanting to have fun doing what their brother did. This is a small sample group so no true evidence of reality.

I do wish the girls the best of luck on this and have invited some to view a boy scout meeting to see what they could be missing but still no takers. My guess is that this will be somewhat successful the first few years but in the end they will lose more boys because of this then they will gain girls - so sad and selfish.

This is the comment that struck me:

"Why not have the activities girls are asking for in the girl scouts?"

Gee - good question - maybe the Girl Scouts can answer that - oh wait, their spokespeople are too busy telling us that the BSA can't possibly understand the needs of girls while they apparently have that all locked up.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, cocomax said:

Meanwhile. . .

http://theweek.com/articles/759527/rise-womenonly-coworking-spaces

Women only spaces are becoming more popular. 

Yeah - Feminism spent decades excoriating men for having men-only spaces and now here we are, almost 50 years later and women now want their women-only spaces.  I'm sure I have a reputation as one of the most liberal people in this forum but I have to say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander - open up those women only spaces or you're no better than the men you criticized for years.

Yep, you are right.  The comments are pretty reflective of our continually out of touch and unaware public.  They have no idea, for the most part, how either group works in this country, or how we compare to the greater world experience.  And, since so many of the concerned citizenry also would like us to divorce the entire country from the greater world theater, why would they not comprehend this?  Way too many people with tunnel vision and complete ignorance of anything beyond the ends of their noses.  JMHO of course.  Meanwhile, hurray, and may the trend continue to build.  Again JMHO.

• Downvote 1

Based on the skew of the comments my guess is that this article is linked through a right wing site (Drudge, Fox, Breitbart, CNS, etc.).  If linked through a left wing site (Huffington Post, Daily Kos, MSNBC) the comments would also be negative but with the slant that the BSA is a nationalistic right wing organization who is attempting to undermine a progressive all girl organization.  I take pleasure that I’m part of the one organization that Murdoch and Huffington despise. BSA is bringing our country back together!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, FireStone said:

I wouldn't regard the comment section of any news website as a good indicator of, well, pretty much anything, especially not what the general public thinks. 

True. But neither are the opinions on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Here are some of the smarter comments from the news story comment section:

"Never in my life would my daughters be allowed to join Cub Scouts. That's what Brownies and Girl Scouts is for. Guaranteed liberal parents."

"This is heart breaking to me. As a single mom to a young boy I know he desperately needs strong male role models guiding him. He's just turned 8, this is the time he needs these men most of all, but now it's not going to happen. Why can't the girls have these activities in Girl Scouts? Girls & boys are equal, but that doesn't mean they are the same. And why would we all want to be?"

"If women need and deserve their own spaces, so do men. There is nothing natural about this sort of PC progress, and it WILL backfire."

"As a former eagle scout it does me well to know that I have cut off all affiliation with this organization."

"I'm a Girl Scout leader and simply put, the Boy Scouts of the USA have stuck with their traditions and life skills program model. GSUSA has lost their way by changing the program so far off course from what made it successful in the first place. They've become too progressive and pushing career focused programs instead of basic life skills like changing a tire. My daughters remain GS's because of our council's canoe team (15 and 10 years respectively) but in reality would have preferred the boy scout program. Also, when you see Boy Scouts you know it because they are in full uniform. As for Girl Scouts? Only at cookie time and even then it's simply a vest. They have so lost their way."

"Scouting will become so politicized it will close it's doors ."

"The purpose of scouting is not just to learn skills, such as rowing, cooking, etc. It is to prepare the kids to be responsible men and women in society. Having leaders of the same sex and boys bonding with boys (and girls in the girl scouts) is very important in developing their character and identity."

"Then it is no longer the boy scouts. It is something else."

"This is a great thing, and not because some people think it's PC. Boy Scouts has transitioned to a "family scouting" activity. It involves the entire family that is of scouting age, without the us versus them mentality. In the troop that my family is involved with there is involvement with Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, and Boy Scouts, without conflict. Our Boy Scout activities include parents, mostly boys and a few girls. So far, the girls are sisters of other scouts. As a mom of sons, it is heartening to see girls learning that skills that my dad taught me. These days, so few girls are taught those things and they are valuable."

"If only women were as capable as men at creating and organizing programs that cater to their specific gender. But alas, we found yet another thing men are superior to women at - mentoring and developing kids. Girls don't want to participating in organizations led and organized by women. Interesting....."

"Boy Scouts used to be a noble group, training boys to become good team mates, respectful men and self sustaining go getters. Now, sadly, it’s a shell of its former self."

"There is a great opportunity here for someone to start a new organization where boys can come together and learn traditional male skills."

"What's sad is the notion that girls can't do their own scouts good enough that they have to join the boys."

"Any parent of a 13 year old girl that sends them camping with a bunch of 13 year old boys needs to have their heads examined. I was in the Boy Scouts and later an Eagle Scout. It was a great time and we learned many life skills with the scout masters and our fathers. Having girls come to our weekend jamborees would only be a distraction. Why don't the Girl Scouts introduce some activities that the Boy Scouts do?"

Edited by cocomax
  • Upvote 1