Reading the Scout HB aloud at meetings?

This past weekend, discussing an upcoming planning session with the SPL, I dropped the idea of a small period fairly often of simply reading aloud a section from the Handbook.  His response was far more positive than I expected.  Matter of fact, he felt it might be a really good regular thing and beneficial in a number of ways.

Any thoughts from this erudite group?

I would quit your troop within a week if I had to sit through that. I would rather be taught and have actually someone making eye contact with me instead of everyone falling asleep, just like in school.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A few will learn by reading the book, some by listening to others but 90% learn by peeing on the electric fence themselves - Will Rodgers

Point is its better for scouts to learn by doing - start by doing then correct what is wrong. Boys like to do - not listen.

We use older scouts to teach for 10 minutes tops, then we play a game to re-enforce how it works

The thought was that we would over time read the entire book, sort of like going through the Bible book by book.  Certainly, in relation to a specific subject, it might not be a bad idea to preface a work on session with doing a reading from the handbook.

6 hours ago, skeptic said:

The thought was that we would over time read the entire book, sort of like going through the Bible book by book.  Certainly, in relation to a specific subject, it might not be a bad idea to preface a work on session with doing a reading from the handbook.

What happens when you get new Scouts coming in - do you start over?  Read to them separately until they get caught up?  Instead of reading aloud from the book at every meeting (which does sound too much like school), why not plan your meetings around the book.  Choose a section and develop activities around it.  Then announce it in advance so that the Scouts can read that section of the handbook in advance.

I realize that this isn't the actual situation, but I can't help seeing this image.  

(Campfire has died down. Scouts are done for the day. Scout master pulls a book out of his bag.)

SM: Okay scouts.  Everyone get into their tents and I'll read you a story from the handbook.

Scouts: HOORAY!!! (scurry off into their sleeping bags)

SM: Okay... (settles their reading glasses) Section 7.0.4.4 Discontinued Merit Badges... Scouts are not allowed to begin work--

Scouts: (from tents) You've read that part already.  Skip to the good part.  

• Haha 1

For those of you who weren't brought up with this. It's not a bad way to learn. There once was this thing called the Dark Ages where people read quite little and counted on a few folks talking to them directly from what they'd internalized from their own reading of books in a foriegn, imperial language. It worked, kinda sorta. :laugh: We seem to be returning to that a little

Reading something as a group, either with your best reader or the boys taking turns, should not be more than a 5-10 minute exercise. I wouldn't try to cover the whole handbook in a year. But rather, the boys should go through the index and pick a chapter they want to tackle in the next couple of weeks. Then, they should think of something practical the patrol should do regarding each reading.

• Like 1

As I think about this more, I like the concept but Instead of doing readings from the Scout Handbook as if it were a reading of the Bible, how about challenging each scout to research and find either an inspirational or educational passage from non-Scout related books that are outdoor related - could be something from an outdoor recreation perspective or something from an environmental/conservation perspective.  They could take turns every week - no more than 5 minutes per week.  Maybe someone reads something from John Muir one week, and someone else reads something from Colin Fletcher the next.  Someone who is interested in fishing might read something from John Gierach, and maybe someone reads something from My Side of the Mountain. 

• Like 1

I would like to thank the bearded (?; in our council many are hirsute.) sages of Scouting that have given serious responses.  I find the ones that suggest the boys finding subjects, the related readings idea, and the important point of keeping any such activity short and connected to moe hands on.  

• Haha 1
On 4/23/2018 at 4:14 PM, ItsBrian said:

I would quit your troop within a week if I had to sit through that. I would rather be taught and have actually someone making eye contact with me instead of everyone falling asleep, just like in school.

What if someone read it in a funny accent?  Maybe used puppets to act out what they read?  Maybe a culture night with Kabuki and stylized dance.

• Haha 1

As I was walked by a patrol, a scout asked, in a tone loud enough to carry, is the rinse water supposed to be hot or cold? But as the scout finished the question, he was already walking away saying”I know, check the handbook.”.

The biggest problem with the Scout Handbook is the adults, because, other than advancements, they really don’t know what the books say. Example: the handbook is very clear how and when a scout wears the uniform. Yet, every troop has a different policy.

Our scouts were always encouraged to reference all their sources when they taught subjects. They were also always encouraged to keep them near as a source for their scouting activities. So we are big fans of the handbook. That being said, Reading the handbook to the group might come in handy when trying to emphasis a point (like wearing the uniform), but a steady diet of readings might have the most impact after lights out. 

Barry

• Upvote 1

The original idea sounds worthy, but maybe not in the lesson area, but in the SMMinute area?   Such doesn't always have to be a off the cuff, verbal story type of thing. On review, there are many things in the SHB that would lend themselves to a reading.   

Something like knot practice, lashings,  etc. review,,, but that might be in the "Patrol Corner"  type time.  For instruction/practice.  

Just don't make it sound like SCHOOL with (groan) HOMEWORK.   Oh please, don't make it sound like HOMEWORK.    Scouting will have individual study, how else to learn the skills, but don't make it sound like homework....