Reading the Scout HB aloud at meetings?

Sometimes our SPL will read from the Boy Scout Handbook and all the scouts will sit in a semi-circle and chuckle along...

but he reads from a copy of the 1911 version, the boys find some of the original sections very humorous

• Like 1

<but he reads from a copy of the 1911 version, the boys find some of the original sections very humorous>

They would especially enjoy the paragraph on "Continence" in Chapter 19.

•  
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, scoutldr said:

<but he reads from a copy of the 1911 version, the boys find some of the original sections very humorous>

They would especially enjoy the paragraph on "Continence" in Chapter 19.

•  

I loved my Dad's 1940's handbook that said it was OK to take a bath more than once a week. :) I can see using both to make a point.

My opinion on this might be slightly influenced by the fact that I'm currently neck-deep in a Pack recruitment plan and trying to finding new ways to promote the idea of "Adventure is waiting," but my first thought is that this is the opposite of adventure. Unless the adventure comes after we sit around and read for a while. 

I know at the Troop level a lot more reading is necessary. Just not sure it's a good use of time when the scouts are together as a patrol or troop. I've also always had the belief that Scouting shouldn't feel like school. Someone reading aloud from a book feels very school-like to me.

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, FireStone said:

... Scouting shouldn't feel like school. ... 

I think this is key to making a good scouting program.  Scouting isn't school.  It's not pretend military.  It's groups of kids that WANT to GET TOGETHER to DO THINGS.

• WANT <-- their choice
  • GET TOGETHER <-- They want to see their friends
  • DO THINGS <-- They want to do things with their friends.

I really fear missing any piece of that.  If we kill their want or their being together or doing things, then we damage the program.  Our scouts have some great memories and most of those memories are from doing things together.  

• Upvote 3