bearess

Would you say anything

On 4/22/2018 at 6:27 PM, David CO said:

Your son is being picked on by an adult. I would drop all of the other issues and focus on that.

I have some choice words to describe my view of this CM, but a scout is kind, so I'll refrain. 

On 4/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, NJCubScouter said:

Downtime is important too.

At the Cub level, I continually reiterate this notion.  Unstructured play is every bit as important as planned events.  

• Upvote 1

As an SM I appreciate when informed of this kind of parental interference. I would find it tough to call out the CB directly on this if more than a few hours so I would make a general staement for parents to keep hands in pockets (HIP) and don't interfere with any petrol, dont offer any solutions and dont fill leadership vacuums. 

The CM may have the idea that leaders (PLs) eat last and stay in the eating area until all duties are complete and also help those who are struggling to get done. Even so its not his role to enforce his philosophy on a Patrol or even offer this up.

Hi @bearess  I am totally late to this thread.  How is it going for your son now?   Have you talked with the Scoutmaster?  It sounds to me like the adult CM was almost bullying your 10 year old son, which is unacceptable. 

I hope it is going better.  Hang in there!!  Best wishes to you and your son.  

Thanks for checking in!  It’s going pretty well— they had another campout, CM (who is now an ASM) was there...he apparently didn’t say much to my son but was kind of on another boy in their patrol.  Other boy forgot his flashlight and coat and ASM was yelling at him (in my son’s words “ASM was WAY triggered”).  My son took the other boy aside, told him to come to son first next time, and they’d solve it as a patrol.  It’s so funny, the ASM is a huge advocate for things being boy led, patrol method, and so on.  But in practice, he can’t do it at all.  His son always tents with him, eats with him, hangs out with him.  He can’t or won’t give the boys space to make their own mistakes.