What's A Good Water Bottle?

4 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Yeah and who has time for that and when you can buy a $10-$15 water bottle and stay safe?

That water bottle will be reused after the first mile!:p

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reuse smartwater bottles when I go on backpacking trips where weight is a concern.  Never have had an issue with them breaking.  For just general troop 'plop' camping and day hikes I usually ta

No love for the Nalgene?  Put stickers on them, clip them to your belt, pretty near indestructible.  Also you can get one that glows in the dark

Every bottle, whether  Gatorade or Nalgene must be properly clean and sanitized in order to be reused.  

Nalgene has a lifetime guarantee. My son used one as a tent peg mallet and cracked the bottom. They replaced it. You just go to their website, fill out a form and upload a photo of your damaged item. That makes the cost easier to take. I prefer the OTF style. They may be a little smaller, but the one handed pop-top is easier to use on the trail.

All that being said, if you want to keep water cold, HydroFlask is the way to go. I can put cold water in mine early in the morning at Summer Camp, and it is still cold in the evening (I had other bottles on my pack, this was sitting in my tent all day). They are not cheap though, so your $30 budget won't get you a decently sized one.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, ItsBrian said:

Recently broke mine, and can't find one that is big enough (prefer 32oz), can easily clip onto my belt with a carabiner, and will keep the water somewhat cold without being too heavy. I'm trying to not spend more than 30 dollars because I mean who wants to spend that much on one.

If keeping cold is an issue, go to Wal-mart, and you can find a variety of double-walled stainless water bottles to keep the water cold.  They have a 40-ozer that is about $15.  

On 4/18/2018 at 6:04 PM, ItsBrian said:

Just ordered a Camelbak, if this one isn’t nice I’ll end up buying a Nalgene.

CamelBak Chute Mag Water Bottle, 32oz, Bluegrass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07664SN5V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0681Ab77FYTNW

I like the CamelBak Chute (has a rugged but easy to drink out of top), but it won't keep the water cold.  I used one this summer in Utah, and didn't like it for hot weather hiking. It's great when it's not too hot out.  Camelbak makes a insulated version of the Chute for under $25.  I've seen a insulated Chute imitation at walmart for $15.  

37 minutes ago, AVTech said:

Nalgene has a lifetime guarantee. My son used one as a tent peg mallet and cracked the bottom. They replaced it. You just go to their website, fill out a form and upload a photo of your damaged item. That makes the cost easier to take. I prefer the OTF style. They may be a little smaller, but the one handed pop-top is easier to use on the trail.

All that being said, if you want to keep water cold, HydroFlask is the way to go. I can put cold water in mine early in the morning at Summer Camp, and it is still cold in the evening (I had other bottles on my pack, this was sitting in my tent all day). They are not cheap though, so your $30 budget won't get you a decently sized one.

I've never seen a Nalgene break, except for the cap. My oldest son has had one for about 5 years, and has used it at school, for lacrosse, car camping, backpacking, and has been to Northern Tier and Sea base with it. He wants to break it, so he's rough with it, but has only succeeded in destroying a couple of caps.  He thinks (rightly or wrongly) that nalgene will replace his water bottle and give him a t-shirt if he destroys it.  (the t-shirt is a myth)

2 hours ago, perdidochas said:

I've never seen a Nalgene break, 

Watched a Philmont staffer as he finished the climb up and on to the Tooth of Time set his Nalgene down, it wobbled and then rolled over the edge and took the express route towards the stockade.  He sort of reached for it, and we told him to "let it go man".  Assumption is it broke but we did not have confirmation

Edited by Jameson76

There was a rumor going around a few years back that re-using disposable plastic water bottles was bad because the bottle broke down over time and chemicals would get into your water. I think that was debunked, although the breakdown issue isn't entirely without merit. But it's not because of chemicals (FDA says disposible plastic bottles are safe for single-use AND re-use), it's that the weaker plastic was more prone to scratches and cracks, which in turn could trap and house bacteria. The idea being that a smooth plastic surface is easier to clean than a cracked/scratched/worn one and so the hard plastic bottles made for re-use were easier to keep clean. 

Edited by FireStone

While we're at it, who still has bottle brushes (at home or in their mess kit)?

Not the big handles plastic things, but the wire tool that looks for all the world like a miniature chimney sweep's brush?

On 4/21/2018 at 5:49 AM, qwazse said:

While we're at it, who still has bottle brushes (at home or in their mess kit)?

Not the big handles plastic things, but the wire tool that looks for all the world like a miniature chimney sweep's brush?

I have one that is meant for cleaning out the tubes for a hydration pack.  It's a long-handled testtube brush.  

• 1 month later...

A couple of young ASM's are trying to convince me to replace my Nalgene 1L (6.25 ounces, $10-11, made USA) with either the following:

Hydrapak Stash 1L (3.3 ounces?, $20-25)

Platypus water bags .-  IMHO seem flimsy and spill easy.

Works for them but I  still like the all-season , hot water,  utility, and indestructibility of the Nalgene .

Edited by RememberSchiff
33 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

A couple of young ASM's are trying to convince me to replace my Nalgene 1L (6.25 ounces, $10-11, made USA) with either the following:

Hydrapak Stash 1L (3.3 ounces?, $20-25)

Works for them but I  still like the all-season , hot water,  utility, and indestructibility of the Nalgene .

I'm with you, Nalgenes just plain work!  Bummer knockoff brands seem to break easily.

47 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Platypi work well as secondary water bladders. I've never had one leak. But they are unwieldy and easy to spill. I only use them to refill my primary water container.