What's A Good Water Bottle?

Recently broke mine, and can't find one that is big enough (prefer 32oz), can easily clip onto my belt with a carabiner, and will keep the water somewhat cold without being too heavy. I'm trying to not spend more than 30 dollars because I mean who wants to spend that much on one.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reuse smartwater bottles when I go on backpacking trips where weight is a concern.  Never have had an issue with them breaking.  For just general troop 'plop' camping and day hikes I usually ta

No love for the Nalgene?  Put stickers on them, clip them to your belt, pretty near indestructible.  Also you can get one that glows in the dark

Every bottle, whether  Gatorade or Nalgene must be properly clean and sanitized in order to be reused.  

Two words: aluminum canteen. Mine's going on 40 years.

If you have a friend in metal shop, he/she might be able to spin one out for you. Well ... spin two sides, weld it together, and add a tap.

Better yet, 3D deposition print one. Extra points if he prints a chain-mail harness.

I have recycled Gatorade and Powerade bottles for years. Moved up to reusing  Life Wtr bottles because A) 2 of their bottles will fit in a single pocket on my pack and B) my filer can attach to the bottle.  

18 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

No love for the Nalgene? 

Put stickers on them, clip them to your belt, pretty near indestructible.  Also you can get one that glows in the dark

It doesn’t keep your water cold or somewhat cold and if I work at a day camp again it’ll be in the sun for 6 hours.

5 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

No love for the Nalgene? 

Put stickers on them, clip them to your belt, pretty near indestructible.  Also you can get one that glows in the dark

I've seen too many Nalgene bottles shatter. Aluminum takes a lot of dents and can be patched.

I do like the 96 ounce collapsible bottles. But after 10 years, they are starting to stiffen and crack.

4 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Just ordered a Camelbak, if this one isn’t nice I’ll end up buying a Nalgene.

I had a camelback once. I concluded that there was a reason I stopped nursing by age 2.

Nalgene is out of my budget. But my middle son has one he won. Aluminum is OK. Had a canteen for years out of aluminum. But it is heavy. Reusing Gatorade et al bottles is enviromentally friendly, cheap, and comes with a drink ;)

15 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Nalgene is out of my budget. But my middle son has one he won. Aluminum is OK. Had a canteen for years out of aluminum. But it is heavy. Reusing Gatorade et al bottles is enviromentally friendly, cheap, and comes with a drink ;)

My troop does not like reusing Gatorade, Powerade, plastic water bottles, because it’s just how we are and I don’t disagree. It may be environmentally friendly, but is it safe for you? The plastic especially in water bottles are not meant to be used over and over from my knowledge.

I have had them all. I loved Camelbaks but have punctured 3 so not for me. I have some old aluminum old school ones though I am suspect of the soldering joints. The new ones are just two heavy. I have cracked Nalgenes from dropping (though some last for years) but never my recycled Smartwater (1 liter dropped 80 feet on rock and lived) bottles. I clean them with denture tabs (a good way to clean any of the above) and might get a new one every season. I am suspicious of the plastic in my vast array of military surplus canteens-- how much can I trust the plastic in a 20 year old Hungarian army bottle? For me (and I have to carry a lot of water) is the weight of the container.

But in the end "Hike your own Hike". Gives you something to debate while meeting on the trail. Along with boots (or not), backpacks, and tents-vs-tarps-vs-hammocks-vs-bivy sacks. 

The biggest challenge is getting the young guys to take enough water.

6 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

The biggest challenge is getting the young guys to take enough water.

This is the one thing that I am so glad we never had to deal with. They drink and drink, and all we say at the beginning of a hot week(end) is to stay hydrated. I can not recall the last time someone complained about heat exhaustion, dehydration, etc.

9 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

My troop does not like reusing Gatorade, Powerade, plastic water bottles, because it’s just how we are and I don’t disagree. It may be environmentally friendly, but is it safe for you? The plastic especially in water bottles are not meant to be used over and over from my knowledge.

Any reused bottle will pose risk for severe infection

1. if not properly cleaned.

2. if the mouth and lid are not properly sanitized during purification.

Edited by qwazse
29 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Any reused bottle will pose risk for severe infection

1. if not properly cleaned.

2. if the mouth and lid are not properly sanitized during purification.

Yeah and who has time for that and when you can buy a $10-$15 water bottle and stay safe?