Official start date for girls in Packs - June 11

Materials will arrive in Scout Shops starting June 1 and girls can register in any family Pack starting June 11.  Article has some info regarding working with your COs and preparing for the change.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/04/16/heres-when-and-how-you-can-start-welcoming-girls-into-your-cub-scout-pack/

Oh, and there is this minor change.

Two Arrow of Light Adventure Trails will be renamed: Outdoorsman will become Outdoor Adventurer, and Sportsman will simply become Sports.

21 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Two Arrow of Light Adventure Trails will be renamed: Outdoorsman will become Outdoor Adventurer, and Sportsman will simply become Sports.

When will they change “Committee Chairman” to “Committee Chair” then?

27 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Materials will arrive in Scout Shops starting June 1 and girls can register in any family Pack starting June 11.  Article has some info regarding working with your COs and preparing for the change.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/04/16/heres-when-and-how-you-can-start-welcoming-girls-into-your-cub-scout-pack/

Oh, and there is this minor change.

Wonder how the happy girls running in the photo earned 3 ranks in the last 3 months...that is some motivated cubbies.  Neat that they all matched also

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Not quite. It reads:

"some early adopter councils are continuing that enthusiasm into spring recruiting, with registration options for girls available to all councils starting June 11, 2018."

There is an option, if they choose, for June but not all early adopter councils are beginning June 11. Some, like mine, are waiting until next Aug.

Edited by an_old_DC
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, bsaggcmom said:

I used to work for National Supply for years. The patches for Committee Chair changed to that from Committee Chairman several years ago. 

That sounds correct. My patch is several years old and reads Pack Committee Chair

42 minutes ago, bsaggcmom said:

I used to work for National Supply for years. The patches for Committee Chair changed to that from Committee Chairman several years ago. 

Not on my.scouting.org. It reads "Committee Chairman"

And doing a quick search on scoutshop.org, the district one stills reads "chairman".https://www.scoutshop.org/insignia/insignias/district-emblem-chairman-267.html

Edited by ItsBrian
28 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

They didn't. It was a promotional photo. Read the comments on the link.

Yeah...I was being humorous, any time you see a picture of more than 1 Cub / Scout together and the uniforms are matchy matchy...it's a promo photo

Speaking of the comments, they are literally comedy gold in the article

First one right out of the gate from "Stu"

• I'm a Cubmaster for a pack. We just signed our first girl. We received approval to have a co-ed den until a few more girls join. So far, it's been great! The girl happens to be my daughter. She joined her age-appropriate den; whereas she spent the last year hanging out with my son's den (by necessity).

So...approval for a co-ed den, where did that come from you may ask

• Approval came from our regional council. We had to change our charter from "boys only" to "family.

Then somebody asks

• I've spoken with my DE who says this isn't possible. What Council are you in? I'd like to contact them for clarification. 

Stu has not responded

Whole series of comments with a myriad of opinions on who or whom has to be registered / in attendance / hanging out if you have a girls den.  People quoting page 7 of FAQ, people quoting YPT, it's a madhouse 

3 hours ago, an_old_DC said:

Not quite. It reads:

"some early adopter councils are continuing that enthusiasm into spring recruiting, with registration options for girls available to all councils starting June 11, 2018."

There is an option, if they choose, for June but not all early adopter councils are beginning June 11. Some, like mine, are waiting until next Aug.

By "next Aug." do you mean August of this year or August 2019?  Just curious.

1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

Not on my.scouting.org. It reads "Committee Chairman"

And doing a quick search on scoutshop.org, the district one stills reads "chairman".https://www.scoutshop.org/insignia/insignias/district-emblem-chairman-267.html

Not that it matters but the same site shows pack and Troop patches are “chair”.     You linked to the District Chairman patch.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

Not that it matters but the same site shows pack and Troop patches are “chair”.     You linked to the District Chairman patch.

Oh I’m aware. But I was talking about on my.scouting how it still says “man”, I just stumbled across the district one while looking at the other ones.

Actually I was grateful they changed it from Camper to Outdoorsman because LDS units like mine don't take Cub Scouts camping (we wait until they are 11 before we get into any program-organized camp outs). Many of my boys before felt odd getting a Camper award for participating in our day-long activities, so Outdoorsman fit the bill better.

HOWEVER, "Outdoor Adventurer" is just getting absurd, and it runs into the same silly issue the Scouting Adventure activities encounter - the actual titles are ridiculous to say out-loud!

"Hey there, what adventure are your boys working on this month?"

"Why, the Scouting Adventure adventure!"

"Is there an echo in here?"

"And after that we are starting the Outdoor Adventurer adventure!"

"There is is again!"

Honestly I feel like an idiot repeating myself like this, and as a Webelos leader it happens constantly. They really needed to have an editor come in and look over the names of these adventures before putting out their ridiculous names. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1