New YPT declares corner ripping for Totin Chip/Whittlin Chip as Hazing?

I haven't taken YPT 2 yet, but I'm hearing from council that ripping corners is now considered hazing. 

So, apparently, is if you find a lost neckerchief slide or dropped flashlight and call out to the group something like "who's neckerchief" slide is this? that too is now hazing. 

wtf? 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our new scouts thought KP and the 3 pot method was hazing.  The SPL looked at him and said work is not hazing, if they did decide to haze him it would involve a good bit of orientation and trai

Parents who want to shield their children from any failure or negative impact on their feelings.  

Corporal punishment of a card?  I once saw an egregious example of corporal punishment of a rope. They gave it a real lashing.   

21 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

I haven't taken YPT 2 yet, but I'm hearing from council that ripping corners is now considered hazing. 

We ran into that at some meeting and definitely had a WTF moment.  The leader expressed (quite sincerely) that is was hazing and the totin chit was the scouts property and we were "stealing" it etc etc

Wisely we just let it pass and did not go into that we also take knives and other items if there is an issue.  Yep it may be their property but at the end of the day, leaders are in fact leaders

Had not heard of the lost items concern.  Seems we have jumped the proverbial shark.  That is a great part of summer camp fun, standing in front of a scout, asking if they have lost something, them saying no while you are holding the item with their name on it as you speak with them.

7 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

We ran into that at some meeting and definitely had a WTF moment.  The leader expressed (quite sincerely) that is was hazing and the totin chit was the scouts property and we were "stealing" it etc etc

The added ridiculousness is that it is advised to take the Totin Chip/Whittlin Chip card away if there is knife misuse.... how does that not constitute stealing? the shark has been jumped high and far... 

1 minute ago, Thunderbird said:

I recently did the new YPT training (online).  I don't recall it mentioning the Totin' Chip or ripping corners.

My understanding was that during in person training, this was the message given by trainers.  So now the question is, is this trainers and district/council staff taking liberties and embellishing?  

I never bought into the corner clipping scene. Our scouts saw it as a badge of honor to have corners missing... We just take the card and require that they go without for a couple of events, and then re-earn the privilege. This seems to get the message across, and we rarely have repeat offenders

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

My understanding was that during in person training, this was the message given by trainers.  So now the question is, is this trainers and district/council staff taking liberties and embellishing?  

I have access to the facilitator training. Just went through the slides again to be sure and I didn't see anything in the instructor notes

24 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

9 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

I have access to the facilitator training. Just went through the slides again to be sure and I didn't see anything in the instructor notes

Looks like we have an answer, someone is making it up.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

That is a great part of summer camp fun, standing in front of a scout, asking if they have lost something, them saying no while you are holding the item with their name on it as you speak with them.

Which seems like great fun until the Scout answers "No - but I did leave my hat on the table while I went to take a shower and when I got back found that someone had stolen it".

If you know who owns the lost item because it has their name on it, then just give it back - I can't think of a single Scout Law that would allow me to interrogate a Scout as to whether they lost something or not.  I can find quite a few Scout Laws that would suggest I just hand it back with a friendly smile and a friendly reminder to be more careful with their gear.

Real lesson learned?  Telling a Scout he can't have something back until he sings for it, the Scout saying go ahead and keep it, and the Dad (who is also a lawyer) coming to the next meeting reading the SM the riot act for stealing his son's gear.  Yeah - that really happened - our Troop never did the "I'm a little teapot" thing ever again. 

6 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Looks like we have an answer, someone is making it up.

Or someone is passing on the Council's policies, which may not be less than National's policies but may be more than National's policies

8 minutes ago, CalicoPenn said:

Or someone is passing on the Council's policies, which may not be less than National's policies but may be more than National's policies

If that's the case, then they should be able to show the council's written policy.

1 hour ago, Gwaihir said:

No worries, next infarction, we'll have the scout stand in front of the troop and read one of the incident reviews (https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/incident-report/incident-reviews/)

in operatic voice.

:ph34r:

• Upvote 1