No longer SM?  Hey, you with the wealth of experience.... volunteer for IOLS instructor.  Become a Unit Commissioner (for a different Unit! ).   Ask the District Commish if there's a new Unit around that needs some finger pointing or head nodding.  I think the idea " stick a fork in me, I'm done" is waaay off in the future.  

Smile and wave as you go by....

23 hours ago, SSScout said:

No longer SM?  Hey, you with the wealth of experience.... volunteer for IOLS instructor.  Become a Unit Commissioner (for a different Unit! ).   Ask the District Commish if there's a new Unit around that needs some finger pointing or head nodding.  I think the idea " stick a fork in me, I'm done" is waaay off in the future.  

Smile and wave as you go by....

I am already a VP on the District committee and have staffed or led some training courses.  If I can't get along with the new SM, I may switch over to being a commissioner or full time trainer at courses.

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

I am already a VP on the District committee and have staffed or led some training courses.  If I can't get along with the new SM, I may switch over to being a commissioner or full time trainer at courses.

If you have the clout, go for the District Commissioner. I personally believe the DC is most power person in the district and has the most leverage with council. Besides other advantages, the DC can control the training and training materials. I believe (I know) training is the fastest avenue for making broad changes through the units.  

The DC was my goal for taking over the world, bru ha ha ha. By the time I was asked, I was so burned out that I declined. I know, but just the possibility that the person at the other end of my ringing phone was someone wanting to talk scout business nauseated me. And, that is why you haven't seen the world change for the better.:D

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, stepped aside and now through the grapevine, I hear the new SM is spreading rumors about me.  I am trying to ignore it but I am infuriated that someone would attack my character.  Especially when it is done behind my back while being nice to me in person......

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Well, stepped aside and now through the grapevine, I hear the new SM is spreading rumors about me.  I am trying to ignore it but I am infuriated that someone would attack my character.  Especially when it is done behind my back while being nice to me in person......

I'd let it go.  Your work as Scoutmaster will speak volumes.  I'd you get dragged into it, then it just gets worse.  I'd be happy with your service, take the high road, wish him the best, and just move on.

• Upvote 2
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, mashmaster said:

If I can't get along with the new SM, I may switch over to being a commissioner or full time trainer at courses.

Yep. You don't get along with the SM, so you have already met the first requirement for being a commissioner. ;)

@Mashmaster, I feel your pain.  I had to stop going to troop meetings.  Although having boys tell me that they missed me and would I come back was gratifying, I knew that it was undermining their respect for the new SM.  A bit of MBC work is my only involvement now.  If I thought for a minute that district would actually use me for outdoor work and woods-skills teaching, I might violate my maxim about 'Unit level Scouting'.

I obviously miss it, or I wouldn't drop by this forum to stir up trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, JoeBob said:

@Mashmaster, I feel your pain.  I had to stop going to troop meetings.  Although having boys tell me that they missed me and would I come back was gratifying, I knew that it was undermining their respect for the new SM.  A bit of MBC work is my only involvement now.  If I thought for a minute that district would actually use me for outdoor work and woods-skills teaching, I might violate my maxim about 'Unit level Scouting'.

I obviously miss it, or I wouldn't drop by this forum to stir up trouble.

I do enjoy district and council level training, I may just focus on that and have my son move troops.

Good topic. Son#2 just had his (delayed for a buddy) ECOH Sunday* and has well aged out. I am attached to few of the older boys and show up for the old pep talk and sign offs but seem to have less and less reason to be there. Mrs Turtle, understandably, is asking me after 10 years what is my next step. Someone already tapped me on the shoulder to be a DC, someone else to do EBOR duty at the District. Hits just as the nest is emptying. It is hard as I probably identify as a Scouter as much as anything else in my life. How does one stay connected but keep in balance? Feel a bit like a traitor if I plan to cut back and do something I enjoy more (like just hike for fun). I have seen enough divorced old Scouters to not ignore my better half's requests to do more things together. So yea @mashmaster it is not easy. 

* Fantastic one BTW. Had many old timers and faces re-united. It was truly a family reunion. Many teary speeches including the boys.

My sense is that there is a lot you all can do at the district level.  In my district I see lots of opportunities to help youth.  OA, advancement opportunities, camping opportunities, etc...

To me it's kinda like when a den leader makes the transition to being a pack leader.