You CAN Take it with you . . .

Owing to another thread (you pick it out) leading me to remember other camping trips of long ago (ahhh, the smell of roast loin of  saber tooth . . .),  I am led to ask:

What items/stuff/things of note have you seen kids bring on Camping Trips, Hikes, Outings that on "adult" consideration, made you smile and shake your head?

I will offer the seven day canoe trip down the Shenandoah where the teen girl brought a 8 Dcell boom box and a electric hair drier.... 

It's not the items/stuff/things that the current scouts bring or don't bring that makes me laugh and shake my head. It's the things that we did or didn't bring that makes me laugh and shake my head.

Swim suits? :eek:

Scout brought a thermos with his ravioli on a backpacking outing.  He had heated it up before we left and that was his backpacking meal (lunch and dinner, he loved himself some Chef Boyardee).  This was a large thermos, accounted for 25% of his toted weight maybe.  Had him tote it in, but some of the Philmont crew that was along training toted it and many of his other items out

May not fit exactly but one patrol bought a frozen pizza to cook for their first night dinner.   If that was not bad enough, they attempted to cook it over direct flames on a grate.  The icing on the cake is that they forgot to remove the cardboard.. which caught on fire.  At least they didn’t have to carry anything out.

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Chadamus said:

Can't read the ebook if electronics aren't allowed

We do not allow electronics out during the day, they can chose to bring and use them in their tent prior to lights out, as long as they are either muted or have headphones.  A couple of them found out on a recent backpacking outing that the phone is useless after the first night unless they add weight carrying a battery pack.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

We do not allow electronics out during the day, they can chose to bring and use them in their tent prior to lights out, as long as they are either muted or have headphones.  A couple of them found out on a recent backpacking outing that the phone is useless after the first night unless they add weight carrying a battery pack.

Or this... which is what one of the scouts in my dad’s Troop brought to BWCA.  

https://www.campsaver.com/biolite-campstove.html

• 3 months later...

We had been told that "there really is no firewood in the area. It's been picked clean by all the tourists and Scouts".  This by a Ranger at a Nat Park.  So the Troop lashed two or three logs to each scouts pack....