10 minutes ago, blw2 said:

something on this topic that always troubled me as a unit adult, was the shelter from storm thing.

Ok, yeah, I get it....

right on

BUT

let's say the troop is bedded down for the night in tents.  2 AM you are awakened by frog choking rain, thunder booming and lightning flashing.....

So am I seriously supposed to get out of the tent, round up the whole troop, and trudge a half mile through the woods and falling trees in the dark, trying to find the dining hall?

No - you're supposed to round up the whole Troop and get someplace safe.  At our camp we now have concrete, wind-rated storm shelters near each campsite.  Prior to building these, the rule was "hit the ditch".  In fact, I would never go to our dining hall for a severe storm because it has high ceilings and lots of glass.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, blw2 said:

let's say the troop is bedded down for the night in tents.  2 AM you are awakened by frog choking rain, thunder booming and lightning flashing.....

So am I seriously supposed to get out of the tent, round up the whole troop, and trudge a half mile through the woods and falling trees in the dark, trying to find the dining hall?

12 minutes ago, jjlash said:

No - you're supposed to round up the whole Troop and get someplace safe.  At our camp we now have concrete, wind-rated storm shelters near each campsite.  Prior to building these, the rule was "hit the ditch".  In fact, I would never go to our dining hall for a severe storm because it has high ceilings and lots of glass.

There certainly are storms that are so bad that, yes, you get everybody out of the tents and go to the designated shelter, whatever that may be in that particular camp.  And I would think that in these days of greater hazardous-weather-awareness, nobody has to be "looking" for anything in the middle of a storm because, before you put up the tents, you (meaning the adult leaders and boy leaders, at least) already know what and where the designated shelter is.  I have not taken the hazardous weather course, but I hope that is part of it.

In my state, tornadoes are rather common. So locals at scout camp know the signs etc. (watches a cow go flying by) "Just a minor zephor." (house with a little girl, dog, and a witch?) "Let's bunker up. Dang, too late. There's the lollipop guild. "

Thankfully tornado shelters were installed near every camp site at the main scout camp for the area. However after a few years we made a few comments. 

1) Please clean out the shelters at the start of every year and make sure they aren't flooded or become animal habitats. 

2) Did you know that you can't fit everyone into the shelters unless you play sardines? 

3) At summer camp, there are scouts who forget about "cleanliness".  Can we get some air scrubbers in these shelters?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, blw2 said:

something on this topic that always troubled me as a unit adult, was the shelter from storm thing.

Ok, yeah, I get it....

right on

BUT

I know one Camp had us go to a nearby cabin due to our distance from the dining hall. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 9:35 AM, Buggie said:

Never trust that common sense is all that common. I am sure I have been an excellent example at times. 

"Common Sense'" is typical humor in our culture.  Like calling the biggest k😁id in school "Tiny.":😁