If you are on linked in, there is commissioner support forum run by Irving.

This just in.  This has a hot due date for any new leaders, and you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be required for all when units recharter.

Commissioners:

This is somewhat “breaking news” and we want to get this to you and your teams ASAP. The attached information has been slated to be included in this week’s Scout Executive package.

Bottom line: Effective April 30th, 2018 new direct contact leaders must complete Hazardous Weather Training to be considered position trained.

The FAQs are an import piece of this communication. As noted in the FAQs:
• Since 2008 there has been a requirement that at least one person on any tour or activity have hazardous weather training. It is also a requirement for all camp staff as part of the NCAP standards SQ-402.
• If you are now trained in your current position, at this time you will not be “required” to take Hazardous Weather Training to be considered position trained. I.e., you will be ‘grandfathered.’
• The old WS81 course is being retired, to stay current with your Hazardous Weather Training henceforth you must take the new SCO_800 course. (SCO designated courses are only capable of being completed on-line through the BSA Learn Center at this time.)

HOT TIP: Many Scouters will be taking training this month to complete their position specific training. Each individual should “take charge” of the documentation of their training, and I would urge them to make sure that any instructor led training that they take gets documented and recorded in Training Manager prior to the end of April.

haz wx scouting.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Isn’t it kind of common sense? I mean for camp staff I understand, and I’ve taken it. 

If theres a tornado warning, run, if there is a flood warning, run, if there is a thunder storm, get shelter. (Exaggerated)

17 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

Isn’t it kind of common sense? I mean for camp staff I understand, and I’ve taken it. 

If theres a tornado warning, run, if there is a flood warning, run, if there is a thunder storm, get shelter. (Exaggerated)

I took it (not sure if I took the proper version though - there were two and I took the more recent one) on Wednesday and it was much more detailed than I anticipated. I would recommend it for all new leaders regardless of this new requirement.

1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

I took it (not sure if I took the proper version though - there were two and I took the more recent one) on Wednesday and it was much more detailed than I anticipated. I would recommend it for all new leaders regardless of this new requirement.

I took the old one (not even sure if the new one is out yet) last year. It was really detailed and if I remember correctly, it took just as long as the old YPT.

While I think it's very good material for every direct contact leader to know, I groan at yet another course for leaders to have to take.  I almost wish that the BSA would find an equivalent amount of material to trim from the new online leader training.  I think there are currently 17 courses for position specific, 3 for YPT, and now this to be an ASM.

• Upvote 1
On 4/7/2018 at 1:37 PM, ParkMan said:

While I think it's very good material for every direct contact leader to know, I groan at yet another course for leaders to have to take.  I almost wish that the BSA would find an equivalent amount of material to trim from the new online leader training.  I think there are currently 17 courses for position specific, 3 for YPT, and now this to be an ASM.

Having just gone through all 17 modules, and the YPT,  that wasn't too burdensome.  It helps that you can do it in 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there.   I thought that they were quite informative for a newbie like me.

• Upvote 1

So, I just took this module - only lasted about 20 minutes, and if you've been in Scouting for a while most of the material should be familiar. But it's a colorful, engaging course with a lot of useful information, so frankly I rather enjoyed it and I am glad it's something all leaders will be required to take. No complaints about it from me.

1 hour ago, The Latin Scot said:

So, I just took this module - only lasted about 20 minutes, and if you've been in Scouting for a while most of the material should be familiar. But it's a colorful, engaging course with a lot of useful information, so frankly I rather enjoyed it and I am glad it's something all leaders will be required to take. No complaints about it from me.

Is it a completely different layout than the previous hazardous weather training or is it the same? I took it last year, but is it different now?

I didn't take the previous online course (I took in person at University of Scouting), so I couldn't say. But it's very colorful, full of useful information, and it's pretty well-paced. I didn't get bored at all, as I have in some other online training courses. :rolleyes: I recommend doing it sooner rather than later!

10 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I didn't take the previous online course (I took in person at University of Scouting), so I couldn't say. But it's very colorful, full of useful information, and it's pretty well-paced. I didn't get bored at all, as I have in some other online training courses. :rolleyes: I recommend doing it sooner rather than later!

I know I was bored last year, it was information that was wayyy too extra. I believe each section was around 5-10 mins and there was like 6 sections? Apologies if I’m wrong, it’s been a year.

This one actually had 10 mini-modules covering the range of weather hazards - hail, tornados, extreme winds, et cetera, but each was short and full of useful information. I thought it was delightful, although I am also the person who thought the ACT's were "fun," so I may not be the best barometer in that regard. ;)

I took it earlier this year (Feb/Mar). In fact, I took it a few times.  Annoying.  Because the tornado section #8 was bugged. You had to click on the safe areas in a house. Yet you weren't allowed to click on the last safe area. It wouldn't let you. Didn't matter what order you went in, the last click never would register. So I took it the first time, went past that bugged section after giving up and found the course wasn't marked complete.  No problem.  A week later? Started from the beginning and got to section #8 again and same problem. It took several weeks of starting from the beginning only to find Section #8 was bugged still, before it was finally fixed. The last time I tried the program was modified to recognize where I had left off and started me at #8. Completed! 

So I hope the module is the same version as the one I took in Feb/Mar.  I really don't want to take it yet again...  

something on this topic that always troubled me as a unit adult, was the shelter from storm thing.

Ok, yeah, I get it....

On 4/6/2018 at 5:26 PM, ItsBrian said:

right on

BUT

let's say the troop is bedded down for the night in tents.  2 AM you are awakened by frog choking rain, thunder booming and lightning flashing.....

So am I seriously supposed to get out of the tent, round up the whole troop, and trudge a half mile through the woods and falling trees in the dark, trying to find the dining hall?