10 advantages in being a Unit Commissioner?

To answer your query, I must go back to my Wood Badge.  

I signed in as a Assistant Scoutmaster, but I helped a lot with my wife's (she was the CSDC Director) Day Camp. When we began to discuss my possible Tickets,  I proposed some ideas that  included Cub Scout things . My WBGuide  told me "oh no, you're a BOY Scout person. Your Tickets can't do Cub Scout things.  Ummmm. Let me talk to the Director."   He came back with the Director,  and they both praised my ideas, but again , said, "so long as you are registered as a Boy Scout Leader (ASM) you can't do Cub Scout stuff. HOWEVER (conspiratorial smile), if you registered as a COMMISSIONER (here they handed me an adult application!), you could do things in ALL the Scouting programs !"  "Great !" I said... "what's a Commissioner?" 

Sounds like Bill Cosby's  Noah's Ark routine:  "Right!  What's a cubit?"   

So I signed on as a Unit Commissioner. Took the Commish training, did my Tickets, (Cub and Boy Scout items) and I CAN DO (almost) ANYTHING (!) that my little Scout heart desires.  I work CSDC, Camporees, IOLS,  I present to new units, I talk to newspaper people, I Chaplain at Jamborees and other Camporees.  I eventually got named a Deputy District Commish, then when that was discontinued  I was named a Assistant District Commish, then I became the Roundtable  Commish.  So that is my "fun" .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, SSScout said:

To answer your query, I must go back to my Wood Badge.  

I signed in as a Assistant Scoutmaster, but I helped a lot with my wife's (she was the CSDC Director) Day Camp. When we began to discuss my possible Tickets,  I proposed some ideas that  included Cub Scout things . My WBGuide  told me "oh no, you're a BOY Scout person. Your Tickets can't do Cub Scout things.  Ummmm. Let me talk to the Director."   He came back with the Director,  and they both praised my ideas, but again , said, "so long as you are registered as a Boy Scout Leader (ASM) you can't do Cub Scout stuff. HOWEVER (conspiratorial smile), if you registered as a COMMISSIONER (here they handed me an adult application!), you could do things in ALL the Scouting programs !"  "Great !" I said... "what's a Commissioner?" 

Sounds like Bill Cosby's  Noah's Ark routine:  "Right!  What's a cubit?"   

So I signed on as a Unit Commissioner. Took the Commish training, did my Tickets, (Cub and Boy Scout items) and I CAN DO (almost) ANYTHING (!) that my little Scout heart desires.  I work CSDC, Camporees, IOLS,  I present to new units, I talk to newspaper people, I Chaplain at Jamborees and other Camporees.  I eventually got named a Deputy District Commish, then when that was discontinued  I was named a Assistant District Commish, then I became the Roundtable  Commish.  So that is my "fun" .

Wow, very accomplished. I was just asked to be on this fall course troop guide. I love Bill Cosby skit, very funny.

@Antelope16-2 Welcome to the forum!  Congrats on being asked to staff!  When I staffed, I found that I learned as much, if not more, from being a staffer than a participant.  It was a truly wonderful experience.  Enjoy.

Commissioners have one of the most important jobs in Scouting.  The magic of Scouting happens in our packs, troops, and crews.  The simple fact that most scout leaders are parents means that unit leadership regularly changes.  Commissioners bring tremendous value to the scouts we serve be sharing their knowledge and wisdom.  Strong commissioners are an important part of developing strong units.

• Thanks 1

On e list should be:

Learn great ideas from other units.

Invites on outings to fill every weekend.

Take the spouse out on fundraiser dinners and B&Gs.

No need to waste time figuring out what to do with that one hour a week. ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1