Girl Scout Survey - BSA Questions

I am in my early 30's, and I find absolutely nothing wrong with asking girls if a program gives them more time to spend with their mothers. I don't find it bigoted at all; in fact I think it is imperative that any youth program, of any kind, work to ensure that, whatever their aims, youth are given time to grow closer to their parents. Of course, they should also ask if they get to spend more time with their fathers as well, or their guardians or whomever cares for them - that's to be expected, and it is unusual that they don't continue with that line of thinking. It's a glaring oversight. But the word for that oversight is not bigoted. You can call it naive, oblivious, ignorant even, but not bigoted. That word assumes a malice which is not necessarily present. I don't care for the GSUSA one bit, but it would indeed be ironic if I were to presume such ill intent on their part without subsequently admitting to a similar sentiment of my own. If we are to navigate the troubled waters today's youth programs are being forced to cross, we have to be careful in the way we express our positions, both personal and organizational.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

40s  ... How would you use bigoted then? What word would you use instead?

I've always felt and have been taught that stereotyped assumptions (like assuming your supporting parent must be your mother) are bigoted. YMMV.

"stereotyped assumptions" are more correctly called bias or influence.  To be bigoted, you need to do the next step that is in most definitions.  Bigotry needs obstinance, hatred, intolerance toward another group or blind devotion to your own group.  

I often chuckle when I hear speakers use hateful intolerant speech often against another group that ends with phrases such as middle aged white men.  I chuckle because what they are protesting is often not bigotry but their explicit speech is exactly bigotry.  

Edited by fred johnson