Girl Scout Survey - BSA Questions

So, my wife just completed the annual GSUSA survey.  This is the first year my daughter is is GSUSA so I’m not sure if any of these questions are new.

One question was if my daughter was in another scouting organization.  We answered yes and then another question popped up asking which organization (from a list that included BSA).   We selected BSA.   Then a series of questions appeared asking us to compare the programs (leaders, activities, impact on community, etc.).  For most we answered the programs were equal but a couple my wife stated preference for BSA.

Again, not sure if this is new (perhaps this was a generic question that could have included Venturing) but if so, I was impressed that GSUSA is asking about parents thoughts already.  I’ll be curious to see if there is further follow up or if GSUSA makes any changes to address the loss of members.

• Upvote 2

Oh, that sounds very new. Although it may have been there since Venturing. (However, flexible web surveys are so this century, that I doubt it.)

To GS/USA's credit, they have made efforts to poll members and former members with fairly open-ended and timely surveys.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Hopefully GSUSA, unlike the BSA, will listen to its members.

The only thing I've ever liked more about GSUSA over BSA is they allow all older youth members to cast executive board votes.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Again, not sure if this is new

I don't recall any questions of that nature from the survey last year.

I don't think we have received the survey for this year for some reason.

2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Hopefully GSUSA, unlike the BSA, will listen to its members.

Heh, maybe. I complained for three years that one of their questions asked:

"Does GSUSA give you more time to spend with your mother?"

That is quite a bigoted question to ask these days - especially given the fact that her mother (my wife) is not registered and I am the only one that takes her to all of the events and that I used to be a paid registered adult ta boot. At least BSA uses more neutral terminology like "parent" and "caregiver."

Still waiting on the survey for this year to see if that language has changed.

9 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Heh, maybe. I complained for three years that one of their questions asked:

"Does GSUSA give you more time to spend with your mother?"

That is quite a bigoted question to ask these days - especially given the fact that her mother (my wife) is not registered and I am the only one that takes her to all of the events and that I used to be a paid registered adult ta boot. At least BSA uses more neutral terminology like "parent" and "caregiver."

Still waiting on the survey for this year to see if that language has changed.

I'm curious  of your age. I'm old and would not use bigoted in this manner. Is this how younger people define bigot today?

Barry

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

I don't think we have received the survey for this year for some reason.

Not everyone gets the survey.  This is the first year I recall getting one.  My email said:

Who gets this survey?  Please do not forward or share this email with others - it is customized for you. Because of random selection, not all adults will receive a survey.  If your girl is also randomly selected to participate she will receive an email --either to this account or to her own

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

I'm curious  of your age. I'm old and would not use bigoted in this manner. Is this how younger people define bigot today?

40s

How would you use bigoted then? What word would you use instead?

I've always felt and have been taught that stereotyped assumptions (like assuming your supporting parent must be your mother) are bigoted. YMMV.

Intolerant and prejudice. 

I didn't take the GSUSA's question as prejudicial,  I took it as ignorant of males active in their program. I would not have been surprised if the BSA did the same thing before women were invited as troop leaders. 

Barry

I am in my 50s. From my way of thinking, bigoted is a bit of a strong word for this situation.

But I agree that the language of their survey could (and should) have been more neutral, given the changing make up of families and roles.

The question as asked would have been fine many years ago. 

I didn't mean anything by the question, I'm finding my kids using a lot of words differently.

And, while I have very little respect for how National manages BSA, our experience with the GSUSA was worse. I imagine their professionals just haven't caught up with modernizing their documentation. I could be wrong, my wife reminds me often that I'm not reading her mind as she would like.:unsure:

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
31 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I imagine their professionals just haven't caught up with modernizing their documentation.

Barry

Lack of modernizing their documentation is not, in my experience, GSUSA's problem.   In generally, too much modernization.  Throwing out the old and in with the new.

Yep, "bigoted" has a diluted meaning these days.

In my part of town they will toss racial and sexist slurs willy-nilly, but if someone is doing you harm, they will stand by your side defending your piece of turf tooth and nail. The phrase "after all, we're North Side" is fairly common.

Our minorities have heard sweeter and lost more to folks with astute tongues.

The GS/USA definitely has biased expectations, but I wouldn't call their non-inclusive language bigoted. After all what's good for the goose ... makes a gander pretty happy.:happy: