What kind of example are you setting?

Which is a great time for the Scoutmaster, or better yet, the SPL, to stop the ceremony and announce that it will continue as soon as people are finished with their apparently more important phone calls, texts and e-mails.

• Like 2

For me personally, one thing more annoying than a distracted person distracting the event is the guy up front stopping the flow of the event to enforce rules he's just making up in the moment. The behavior is rude to many of us, but not others. A lot young people find this behavior acceptable. Some general guidelines should have been given at the beginning of the ceremony. I taught the scouts to either handle these things personally and quietly without distracting the rest of the group, or endure it and learn a lesson for the next time.

Now that's just my personal pet peeve. I understand it's not everyone's style.

Barry

• Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

For me personally, one thing more annoying than a distracted person distracting the event is the guy up front stopping the flow of the event to enforce rules he's just making up in the moment. The behavior is rude to many of us, but not others. A lot young people find this behavior acceptable. Some general guidelines should have been given at the beginning of the ceremony. I taught the scouts to either handle these things personally and quietly without distracting the rest of the group, or endure it and learn a lesson for the next time.

Now that's just my personal pet peeve. I understand it's not everyone's style.

Barry

Concur.  If you have an event like a COH with outside guests, set the expectation at the start of the meeting.  There are lots of ceremonies that I go to where someone says:

"This is an important event, please don't use your cell phone during the ceremony.  If you absolutely need to take a call, please step outside"

• Upvote 1