Our Council's New Gender Inclusive Branding

I know many have wondered about names and such with BS4G. In our council's new branding they are dropping "boy", "boy scouts", "BSA", and council. So going from Northern Star Council of BSA to Northern Star Scouting. See, http://www.northernstarbsa.org/refreshing-our-brand-for-scouting-today

I would assume this is at least in the spirit of what we'll eventually see from National. Though I'm not sure exactly how, Scouting America sounds like an outdoor store and Scouts America sounds like gas station.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fear much written here does not reflect the comments I hear from active members.   The one point that I will fully and enthusiastically agree with is that we have way too much focus on advancem

Oh good, for a second there, I assumed the pain meds were making me see double in a weird vertical sort of way.

So . . . I am one of the newbies interested in BSA4G.  Why?  Because my daughter has compared the Boy Scout handbook with the various "Girls Guides to Girl Scouting" and GSUSA "Journeys" and she wants

Posted Images

Considering how anal retentive National is about branding, I bet you a Death by Chocolate Dutch oven cake the next time you are in NC that this has been coordinated with national. I see this happening everywhere.

Seems like they took advantage of the opportunity to rebrand the name but to upgrade the logo as well. They could have kept the old logo, but I like that they went ahead and improved on it.

Edited by FireStone

My guess is that this is a bit of "tail trying to wag the dog."

The last scentence of the introduction uses marketing mind tricks like "bit dated" and "fresh look" without identifying who disliked the old logo and who was calling for a new one.

Then the justification for dropping "BSA" from their url and not adding "scouting" to it is convoluted. There is no suggestion that they worked with a focus group of anyone except the folks in their boardroom.

To be fair, my use of BSA4G is definitely a case of tail wagging dog. But, it's one that can be justified in one scentence. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Sort of seems that the North Star Council (sorry...do not want to create any confusion over what is meant by “council” as apparently there are many types of councils) is trying to distance themselves from the BSA as they expand into other areas.  Wonder how that will work out.

Also sort of confused by this statement -  supports our growing programs for members and nonmembers

How can you have a growing program for nonmembers?  If they are in fact not members, then they would not be in any program.

Hmm, no BSA branding used, no BSA licensed patch and shirt shops needed,...I see National scrambling over this. It would not be the first time North Star bumped heads with National.  

All scouting is local and so their branding?  :confused:

Feels like they're getting carried away with themselves.  

Seems to me that anyone that deals with a council does so deliberately.  I cannot imagine anyone is going to now say - "I was confused by what kind of council you were - now it is much clearer."

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Also sort of confused by this statement -  supports our growing programs for members and nonmembers

How can you have a growing program for nonmembers?  If they are in fact not members, then they would not be in any program.

The council has an initiative to serve the larger community and to be a recognized source for teaching leadership.  In addition, council properties are marketed both for direct scouting use and for use by schools and other community groups.  As altruistic as it is, it is also a recognition that the council needs revenue and the council properties are sitting waiting to be used.  Why not open camps to field trips and other youth programs?  Especially, if they can pay. :)

http://www.explorebasecamp.org/

Edited by fred johnson

It wouldn't be totally unique to move in that direction of local branding... In the greater Boston area, Boston Minuteman Council and Yankee Clipper Council merged, and the new name selected is Spirit of Adventure.  You really won't see much of the use of "Council" next to that name.  Even reflected in their website: www.scoutspirit.org

In response to @Jameson76, they turned two camps into "New England Base Camp" (seems pretty similar to how Northern Star refers to their program as well), and they run weekend activities where you don't need to be a registered Scout to take part- archery, tomahawk throwing, pioneering, dutch oven cooking, etc.  Their obvious hope is it is a showcase, and the youth will join (but, had the obvious problem until now of female participants).   This is likely exactly what Northern Star is referring to as "non-member programs". 

One item of note, the BSA has an individual who has been doing research on girl participation into the BSA, looking at program, interest, etc., for years.  He is based in Massachusetts, and I am sure he has been keenly following this "non-member program" for some time.

They are still using the BSA Fleur-De-Lis so the national branding is still part of the logo. 

The legal name is still Northern Star Council Boy Scouts of America.

Jameson76 asks about non-member programs - it depends on the Council - in this particular Council's case, they run an after school program that doesn't appear to require membership in the BSA and more significantly (and rather interesting), they run a Juvenile Diversion program to keep young teens and adults from jail.

I like the new logo - it looks sharp.  Calling themselves Northern Star Scouting in public seems like a reasonable idea to me.  I know they don't like to hear it but mention the word Scouting to most people and the first thing they think about is Boy Scouts, not Girl Scouts. 

As for National (to Old Buzzards point), I don't think that Scouting America or Scouts America is in the cards.  Instead, I have a hunch that the BSA may resurrect an oldie but goodie:  Scouting USA.  The BSA still holds the trademark on that name, and it more specifically identifies it as being USA based.  I imagine the folks in Canada, Mexico, Central and South America might get just a bit peeved if National tried branding themselves as Scouting America.

18 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

It wouldn't be totally unique to move in that direction of local branding... In the greater Boston area, Boston Minuteman Council and Yankee Clipper Council merged, and the new name selected is Spirit of Adventure.  You really won't see much of the use of "Council" next to that name.  Even reflected in their website: www.scoutspirit.org

But there are other things named Spirit of Adventure.  I also don't think my council could simply drop "Council."  If you google "Patriots Path" the majority of hits on the first page are about the hiking trail (which existed before the council did.)  "Patriots Path Scouting"?  I don't know.  I don't see any benefit to it.  Maybe they should just focus on the program and making this transition a smooth one, rather than the branding, but I guess that's just me.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

But there are other things named Spirit of Adventure.  I also don't think my council could simply drop "Council."  If you google "Patriots Path" the majority of hits on the first page are about the hiking trail (which existed before the council did.)  "Patriots Path Scouting"?  I don't know.  I don't see any benefit to it.  Maybe they should just focus on the program and making this transition a smooth one, rather than the branding, but I guess that's just me.

Agreed. Even though people don’t always say “council” at the end of it doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong there. When I googled it, it did come up under “Patriots Path” but the trail was first.

14 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I hear "Spirit of Adventure' I also think the following things as well:

- Some Ad mounted on the gas pump for an oil company credit card I see as I am filling up the Turtle Mobile. Kind of a competing version of 'lure of the open road'.

- The name of a fake steamboat at Disney World that takes you to Tom Sawyer island or something.

- A tagline on a  jacket Ad from REI that looks good and I can never afford. 

Seems kind of generic corporate inspirational...see it everywhere. 

19 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I hear "Spirit of Adventure' I also think the following things as well:

- Some Ad mounted on the gas pump for an oil company credit card I see as I am filling up the Turtle Mobile. Kind of a competing version of 'lure of the open road'.

- The name of a fake steamboat at Disney World that takes you to Tom Sawyer island or something.

- A tagline on a  jacket Ad from REI that looks good and I can never afford. 

Seems kind of generic corporate inspirational...see it everywhere. 

The Disney steamboat is a fake? I hate growing up. :(

9 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Agreed. Even though people don’t always say “council” at the end of it doesn’t mean it doesn’t belong there. When I googled it, it did come up under “Patriots Path” but the trail was first. 

Right, the trail was first, the council was second, and the first time I looked at it I thought the third was also about the council, but now I see it is about an unrelated organization based in North Carolina that assists military veterans.  The other seven hits on the first page are for the trail.