Utah Passes Free-Range Parenting Law

In Utah, by state law,  it will not be a crime for parents to let their children play unsupervised in a park or walk home from school alone. Utah is the first state in the nation to pass such a law.  A law to fill a void in common sense?

“The fact that we need legislation for what was once considered common sense parenting a generation ago and is considered normal in every other country in the world is what surprises me,” said Danielle Meitiv, the Silver Spring, Md., mother who made national headlines three years ago after she and her husband were charged with child neglect for letting their two children, ages 6 and 10, walk home from a park by themselves. “I’m glad Utah has put these protections in place after what I discovered when I tried to parent the way I was parented.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/well/family/utah-passes-free-range-parenting-law.html

Should the BSA be a proponent of a similar law in the other 49 states?

Thank you Ms. Meitiv.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

While I agree with Utah, I don't think it is a good idea for the BSA to start weighing in on legislation, pending legislation, or any other political speech. Not to mention it is against BSA's own rules to do so I believe.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

I would be satisfied if BSA would just allow scout units to have a little more freedom during scouting activities.

• Like 1

If the BSA is content that patrols may no longer independently hike or camp as they once did with SM approval, then yes stand aside and allow the state to punish any parent, teacher, SM who would allow their kids into the woods, playground,  bicycle, or front yard unsupervised. :(

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
oops, mistyped.
On 3/31/2018 at 9:32 AM, RememberSchiff said:

In Utah, by state law,  it will not be a crime for parents to let their children play unsupervised in a park or walk home from school alone. Utah is the first state in the nation to pass such a law.  A law to fill a void in common sense?

“The fact that we need legislation for what was once considered common sense parenting a generation ago and is considered normal in every other country in the world is what surprises me,” said Danielle Meitiv, the Silver Spring, Md., mother who made national headlines three years ago after she and her husband were charged with child neglect for letting their two children, ages 6 and 10, walk home from a park by themselves. “I’m glad Utah has put these protections in place after what I discovered when I tried to parent the way I was parented.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/well/family/utah-passes-free-range-parenting-law.html

Thank you Ms. Meitiv.

It's madness that we even have to have these laws.  One must be vigilant no doubt, but the perception of the danger is worse than the actual danger

Abductions in perspective:

• Number of children age 2 – 14 killed in car accidents, as passengers: 1,300
  • Number of children killed each year by their family members and acquaintances: About 1,000
  • Number of children abducted in “stereotypical kidnappings” (kidnapped by a stranger for ransom or for sexual purposes and/or transported away) in 1999, the most recent year for which we have statistics: 115.
  • Number of children killed by their abductor: About 50.

Murders of children by abductors constitute less than one half of 1% of all murders in America.

Stranger Danger?  Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976-2005:

• 31% were killed by fathers
  • 29% were killed by mothers
  • 23% were killed by male acquaintances
  • 7% were killed by other relatives
  • 3% were killed by strangers

Moral: Your safest bet is to leave your child with a stranger.

2 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

It's madness that we even have to have these laws.  One must be vigilant no doubt, but the perception of the danger is worse than the actual danger

... snip ...

Moral: Your safest bet is to leave your child with a stranger.

The whole "don't talk to strangers" thing can actually be dangerous. The odds of a child being kidnapped or assaulted by a stranger is less than their needing help from one (such as getting lost). There was a story from not too long ago (I think it got discussed on this forum) about a young boy that got lost in the woods when his family was out hiking. It took days to find him because he was hiding from the searchers, because they were "strangers". There are others examples where kids failed to get help for themselves or others because it required "talking to strangers".

And don't get me started on the "don't leave kids in cars" hysteria.